General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting Out - but not a total rookie? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-09 11:32 AM

Subject: Starting Out - but not a total rookie?
Hey guys,

So, I'm new to all things triathlon, but I'm not new to running, swimming, or generally being in shape. I'm confused about where to start; both educationally and plan-wise.

Here's the deal: Tuesday I did a quick VO2max test (after a weightlifting session); 1931 meters in 12 minutes (running). I probably could have covered more, but I was on a treadmill. Wednesday I did a 25 minute indoor bike and hit 10 miles. I don't think the numbers are impressive or anything, don't get me wrong, I just wanted to get a test of endurance. A lot of plans I see start out assuming a base layer of no endurance and no fitness.

I don't think 'walk/run' plans would help me very much right now. That is, I think I'd be wasting some valuable training time by taking what amounts to a step backwards.

So, that said, are there any recommended 'starting places' for training schedules for someone who would otherwise start in the MIDDLE of the 'couch to 5k' approach? Thanks, all.

LaS.

2015-04-09 12:41 PM
in reply to: LiftAndShoot

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Starting Out - but not a total rookie?
No plan is perfect for everyone, if you are already in shape and just new to tri's then look at some intermediate plans. You didn't say what your training for or when?

I've never used an off the shelf plan as is, I've always modified them around my schedule and fitness level. However it is a good place to start to get an idea of how to set up your training.
2015-04-09 12:48 PM

User image

you can make your own training plan on here. Just click the TRAINING PLANS tab and make a custom one. It is super easy. I'm in the same boat as you and after looking around for a plan I just did the make your own plan and i'm really happy with it!
2015-04-09 1:59 PM
in reply to: mike761

Hey guys, thanks.

The first (sprint) tri I'm looking at is at the end of September. The other ones that are close to me are right in the middle of some travel I have to take. So, I have kind of a long time to prep, I think..
2015-04-10 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Have you taken a look at the "Beginner Sprint 12 Week HR Plan" on this site? It's not actually intended for beginners but assumes some basic background fitness in each sport. I think it's intended for people who might be new to tri but not to endurance sports and who want to be as competitive as possible in their first go at a sprint.

Not sure about the intermediate plans. I think a lot of them are actually quite advanced. I've done the intermediate Olympic plan and it was quite demanding with lots of intensity. The "Intermediate HIM" plan says it's intended for people who are approaching 5 hours. Yikes. I've had to modify it somewhat as it's really too much for me. I train a lot and have a big endurance background in running and, to a lesser extent, swimming, but would have trouble doing that plan as written--just too much volume on some days and too many hard/long workouts back to back. Probably a lot depends on your age and available time to recover. I'd look carefully at the suggested background to find a plan that fits your needs.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting Out - but not a total rookie? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Not off to a good start for the year

Started by VelocityDriven
Views: 1027 Posts: 3

2010-01-02 10:29 PM VelocityDriven

Do not know where to start with the swim portion

Started by injuredrunner
Views: 1232 Posts: 8

2008-07-30 10:14 AM kenaxford

Not sure where to start!

Started by traceyco66
Views: 739 Posts: 6

2005-03-12 12:40 AM traceyco66

For those that started not long ago - a question that could serve as motivation Pages: 1 2

Started by cobannero
Views: 2288 Posts: 31

2005-01-12 10:27 PM Daytona Bill

Total Immersion not the be-all end-all?

Started by soupaman
Views: 884 Posts: 9

2004-08-04 9:09 AM soupaman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout