General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Mont Tremblant bike course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-11 6:55 AM

User image

Subject: IM Mont Tremblant bike course
Dear All,
I'm signed up for IM Mont Tremblant in August, and training is going fine but I'm fretting about the bike course. I knew when I registered that in each loop there are two, significant climbs, but looking more closely I discovered that some of the grades are up to 15% (though the average is around 4%.) To those who have done MT before: Should I change the gearing on my bike to make sure I can make it to the top of these hills without having to dismount?

I have another, delicate question for you experienced IM folks. This will be my first IM - I chose it because it gets such great reviews, and I want to practice my French I've done a bunch of Olympic tris, a half iron, and I've been running marathons for 30 years. The half iron was a blast, but it's a long enough race that I couldn't possibly have made it through without a pee stop. What do people do during an IM?

Thanks!

2015-04-11 11:15 AM
in reply to: kathfair

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: IM Mont Tremblant bike course

IMMT is a harder than average bike course but nowhere near as tough as Whistler or Tahoe.  You should still run some kind of hill gearing... like an 11-28 cassette and a compact or mid-compact crankset (50/34 or 52/36).  A more powerful cyclist could get away with running a standard cassette with standard gearing but judging from your post and your picture you're an older female so you're probably not in the more powerful cyclist category.  No offense intended.

You should pee a lot during an IM.  If you're not that means you're really dehydrated which is a bad thing.  I try to pee 3-4 times on the bike.  I usually stop once to use a port-a-potty and the other times I just let loose while on the bike.  Just rinse that area off with a water bottle when I'm finished. 

2015-04-11 11:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hi -Many thanks - this is really helpful advice! Not sure about the multitasking part, but I'll figure it out. And no offense taken on the age comment. It's great to be doing this at any age, all the more now:)

Edited by kathfair 2015-04-11 11:26 AM
2015-04-11 12:33 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

IMMT is a harder than average bike course but nowhere near as tough as Whistler or Tahoe.  You should still run some kind of hill gearing... like an 11-28 cassette and a compact or mid-compact crankset (50/34 or 52/36).  A more powerful cyclist could get away with running a standard cassette with standard gearing but judging from your post and your picture you're an older female so you're probably not in the more powerful cyclist category.  No offense intended.

You should pee a lot during an IM.  If you're not that means you're really dehydrated which is a bad thing.  I try to pee 3-4 times on the bike.  I usually stop once to use a port-a-potty and the other times I just let loose while on the bike.  Just rinse that area off with a water bottle when I'm finished. 

GMAN is right on with his comments here.

As for the compact crank, I did it with a std crank and 11-28 cassette. Although it was "ok", I'd probably do it again on a compact crank.
I would hope the compact would allow me to spin more and feel fresher.
At least that's what I'm doing for whistler.

Most of the hill climbing intensity is only the last 10k. The hills are on the steep side, but many are very short. The majority of the course is more rolling type hills, and are "fair".

Definitely pace yourself on the first loop. It got windier on my second loop.
2015-04-13 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by kathfair

Dear All,
I'm signed up for IM Mont Tremblant in August, and training is going fine but I'm fretting about the bike course. I knew when I registered that in each loop there are two, significant climbs, but looking more closely I discovered that some of the grades are up to 15% (though the average is around 4%.) To those who have done MT before: Should I change the gearing on my bike to make sure I can make it to the top of these hills without having to dismount?

I have another, delicate question for you experienced IM folks. This will be my first IM - I chose it because it gets such great reviews, and I want to practice my French I've done a bunch of Olympic tris, a half iron, and I've been running marathons for 30 years. The half iron was a blast, but it's a long enough race that I couldn't possibly have made it through without a pee stop. What do people do during an IM?

Thanks!

I also did IMMT as my first Ironman last year so great choice! you will have a blast as this town really embraces the IM athletes and their families. You will never see another race anywhere near as organized as this race and everything you will want or need will be available for you. With that being said, here is my take on your questions above...

1.) Gearing- just like Gman said. I had a compact crank on my bike and I felt fine. The hills can be difficult depending on how strong of a cyclist you are. I am no a strong cyclist but I managed up them all. Practice, Practice, Practice!

2.) Hills- As others have said, the last 10K of the course is technically "The Hilliest" and this is where all of the 12-15% grades are. What is great about them though are they are short hills, and I mean only a couple of pedal strokes and you are up them. Bad thing is that there are several of them for 3 miles but there is always a flat section to catch your breath on before going up the next. Make sure you pace them and know your gearing/shifting well. When you get to the turn around at the end of that sections, its smooth sailing and all downhill to the end of the first loop/end of the 2nd loop which gives you a nice break to stretch, take in some nutrition and get ready for the run. Do not underestimate the hills on the remainder of the course though. For me, the highway section was the hardest as I remember a few long, slow and steady climbs that when coupled with the wind picking up, really got to me. The best thing about this course is there is practically no turning so you can stay aero all day. Also, depending on when you get into town, pre-ride sections of the course. I was concerned about the last 10K section so I rode it on wednesday. The course will be marked so you can see where that section starts/ends. After I did it on wednesday, I knew I would be fine.

3.) Peeing- You need to be or your are not properly hydrated. When I did the race, it was 68 and overcast when I was on the bike. I did not take in enough water on the first loop and I felt bad on the second when the sun came out. I guzzled alot of water/nutrition on the back end and peed 3 times and felt great on the 2nd loop and to start the run. There will be port o potties at every aid station on the bike from what I remember and usually no lines so stopping will not really impact your time at all.

Hope this helps. You will love it there and this will be an amazing experience for you! Make sure to get some Poutine before the race and its the best Post Race Food!!

2015-04-14 2:57 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Thank you so much for your helpful advice. After reading these posts I feel as if I have a good idea of what to expect and how to have my bike set up. My hope is to get to Mont Tremblant in July and train on the course. BTW I actually do hydrate well but, because I hadn't planned a portapotty stop during the ride, I was desperate by the end and probably took the longest pee break in history during T2. Hence my question about how to handle the issue. I'll try to incorporate your suggestions into my training rides, though it sounds totally undignified for someone my age!

2015-04-15 3:01 PM

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Originally posted by kathfair

Dear All,

Thanks!

I also did IMMT as my first Ironman last year so great choice! you will have a blast as this town really embraces the IM athletes and their families. You will never see another race anywhere near as organized as this race and everything you will want or need will be available for you. With that being said, here is my take on your questions above...

1.) Gearing- just like Gman said. I had a compact crank on my bike and I felt fine. The hills can be difficult depending on how strong of a cyclist you are. I am no a strong cyclist but I managed up them all. Practice, Practice, Practice!

2.) Hills- As others have said, the last 10K of the course is technically "The Hilliest" and this is where all of the 12-15% grades are. What is great about them though are they are short hills, and I mean only a couple of pedal strokes and you are up them. Bad thing is that there are several of them for 3 miles but there is always a flat section to catch your breath on before going up the next. Make sure you pace them and know your gearing/shifting well. When you get to the turn around at the end of that sections, its smooth sailing and all downhill to the end of the first loop/end of the 2nd loop which gives you a nice break to stretch, take in some nutrition and get ready for the run. Do not underestimate the hills on the remainder of the course though. For me, the highway section was the hardest as I remember a few long, slow and steady climbs that when coupled with the wind picking up, really got to me. The best thing about this course is there is practically no turning so you can stay aero all day. Also, depending on when you get into town, pre-ride sections of the course. I was concerned about the last 10K section so I rode it on wednesday. The course will be marked so you can see where that section starts/ends. After I did it on wednesday, I knew I would be fine.

3.) Peeing- You need to be or your are not properly hydrated. When I did the race, it was 68 and overcast when I was on the bike. I did not take in enough water on the first loop and I felt bad on the second when the sun came out. I guzzled alot of water/nutrition on the back end and peed 3 times and felt great on the 2nd loop and to start the run. There will be port o potties at every aid station on the bike from what I remember and usually no lines so stopping will not really impact your time at all.

Hope this helps. You will love it there and this will be an amazing experience for you! Make sure to get some Poutine before the race and its the best Post Race Food!!

Agree on everything above about the IMMT bike course, especially those last few miles on each loop. I used a regular crank set, and it was ok. I probably could have used a different crank set but oh well. My additional piece of advice is that be careful towards the end of the 2nd loop before the super steep part. I think most folks are pretty cooked by that point anyway, and then you have to ride the steepest part of the course again. My legs were burning, and from what I saw, alot of folks were suffering pretty bad on the 2nd time up those hills. So, long story short, assume you will suffer on those hills on your 2nd loop. Just get to your easiest gear and pedal. It'll be over sooner than you think. (BTW, I did see some folks come to a virtual halt on those hills (not sure how they were still upright!?!) and I saw some folks walking too.) The 2nd time through is rough.

One other piece of advice, try to finish the paved old rail track section before it gets dark. There are some lights here and there on that part, but it gets dark. If darkness freaks you out, then you'll have to be done with that part by 7:30ish.

Overall, IMMT is a great race. Hoping to race it again in 2016.

Enjoy and good luck!

2015-04-15 7:09 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

• One other piece of advice, try to finish the paved old rail track section before it gets dark. There are some lights here and there on that part, but it gets dark. If darkness freaks you out, then you'll have to be done with that part by 7:30ish.

yes if you think you'll be running after dark, I recommend putting a headlamp (light you prefer) in your special needs bag, which you can pick up on the second loop of the run.

it was REALLY dark once the night settled in.
    2015-04-17 8:53 AM
    in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
    Crab Cake City
    Originally posted by metafizx

• One other piece of advice, try to finish the paved old rail track section before it gets dark. There are some lights here and there on that part, but it gets dark. If darkness freaks you out, then you'll have to be done with that part by 7:30ish.

yes if you think you'll be running after dark, I recommend putting a headlamp (light you prefer) in your special needs bag, which you can pick up on the second loop of the run.

I agree with the above. I didn't have a headlight and it wasn't too bad on the trail at night w/o one but It would have been better with one. With that being said, running the last 5K around the lake and up into the town at night was awesome! Coming out of the trail and seeing all of the village lit up, hearing the music at the finish line and knowing that I was so close made for an amazing final 20 minutes! It was a pretty cool scene.
    2015-04-17 9:40 AM

I agree with the above. I didn't have a headlight and it wasn't too bad on the trail at night w/o one but It would have been better with one. With that being said, running the last 5K around the lake and up into the town at night was awesome! Coming out of the trail and seeing all of the village lit up, hearing the music at the finish line and knowing that I was so close made for an amazing final 20 minutes! It was a pretty cool scene.

Yup, those last 5k are awesome!

MATT - are you planning a return visit in 2016? I'm seriously thinking about it.
    2015-04-17 9:41 AM

User image

I can't tell you how helpful this is. Many thanks for your thoughtful comments. I have a new goal: not to be one of those walking on the steep hills. The enormity of doing a race like this makes it easy to ignore important details, like having a headlamp available. The finish sounds incredibly cool. Now, if I can just get to the starting line...

2015-04-17 11:45 AM

if you have any further questions about the course or whatever, please ask. It's a great race. Enjoy IMMT!!
    2015-04-18 1:26 AM

User image

Master
    Kailua, Hawaii

if you have any further questions about the course or whatever, please ask. It's a great race. Enjoy IMMT!!

Yes I concur. The best race I've done yet.
    2015-04-21 2:54 PM

User image

Master
    Crab Cake City

Yup, those last 5k are awesome!

MATT - are you planning a return visit in 2016? I'm seriously thinking about it.

Brian- Unfortunately I will not be coming back in 2016. I think I will try to do one every 5-10 years as of now. After talking with the wife, remember the work,training, home life balance and sacrifices, I think I will need a little bit of time in between to get the go ahead from my better half! But you never know, I might be able to come up in 2016 to volunteer. Wife did say she wants to go back next summer....
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Mont Tremblant bike course Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

IM Mont- Tremblant OR IM CDA?

Started by mtrunner6
    Views: 1293 Posts: 10

2015-01-20 1:43 PM dmbfan4life20

IM Mont-Tremblant 2013 Training Thoughts?

Started by CaadH
    Views: 931 Posts: 1

2012-08-30 7:50 PM CaadH

IM Mont-Tremblant 2013 Training Thoughts?

Started by CaadH
    Views: 1389 Posts: 5

2012-09-11 5:35 PM slowbuthappy

Honey stinger for Mont Tremblant IM?

Started by zaugfear
    Views: 3028 Posts: 10

2012-05-09 10:15 PM brigby1

IM Tremblant course preview

Started by imfitcoach
    Views: 1735 Posts: 6

2011-09-15 9:46 AM GoFaster
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : June 17, 2009
    author : FitWerx
    comments : 0
    I have about 9k miles on my bike, what needs to be done, checked or replaced to be sure it is in tip-top shape? I'm racing IM Canada this summer.

date : October 2, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    Discussions on Total Immersion swimming, strength training, road bike or triathlon bike, stationary biking for Ironman training, heat and GI issues and doing a HIM before a first IM.
    date : December 20, 2007
    I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : March 22, 2007
    author : KevinKonczak
    Discussions on indoor bike workouts, IM fueling, coke or broth, bikes and swimming exercises.
    date : July 5, 2005
    author : KevinKonczak
    After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : February 16, 2005
    author : trilover
    comments : 1
    Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.
    date : September 14, 2004
    author : tri_again
    How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.

date : September 1, 2004
    author : infosteward
    Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.