General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adding a training day...due to tendinitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-13 12:27 AM

Subject: Adding a training day...due to tendinitis
So I've been injury-free for about 6 months, but I think my Achilles tendinitis is back...it is "zapping" me every so often and gets sore. Biking and running are out for the time being while I take a break and try the standard protocol (build up to about 200-300 toe-raise negatives per day). Looks like ~2 months out if I'm lucky.

My question: I think I can still swim, and did this past weekend, so I want to add another swim day. How much should I cut my normal volume to accommodate the extra day of training? At this point I am doing roughly 1.6 km 2x/wk with 2-3 days "rest" between. I am thinking cutting volume 25-30% should be enough, is that too aggressive? Alternatively, could I add a lifting day?

Any tips on the tendinitis?

2015-04-13 10:16 AM
in reply to: sentient.couch

User image

Subject: RE: Adding a training day...due to tendinitis
I have had issues with achilles tendonitis a few times, so I know what you are going through. A few things:

1) Are you sure you have to take two months off of running and cycling? If it's just bothering you here and there, that might not be necessary. And complete rest doesn't always help anyway-- you might find that you get scar tissue forming that still needs to be worked out. With proper therapy (see below) you may be able to still run and bike.

2) Swimming isn't always fine for the injury, but if you find that it doesn't bother it, then certainly you can swim more than twice per week. For some people, if swimming is the only thing that works, they will increase to swimming almost every day. Start by adding a day, then maybe a fourth or fifth.

3) If you really can't run yet, then start off by walking and then run/walk. But you may be able to still run and bike if you keep it easy. No hills, and limited speed work. Trainer work or spin bike can help keep things in control, although some people find outdoor cycling find (lowering the seat sometimes helps). A small heel lift in your shoes can help take pressure off the achilles while running and/or walking while it heals.

4) All this should be best done in concert with treatment from a good physical therapist or athletic therapist-- one who has experience with triathletes and can help you with rehab activities that will keep you moving. Not just the eccentric heel lifts, but various stretching, calf rolling, hamstring rolling, massage/release techniques, etc.

5) If you find you really can only swim and not run or bike, then alternating with a gym routine will help keep you active on other days.
2015-04-14 8:19 AM
in reply to: sentient.couch

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I wouldn't cut your swim volume at all in any individual session. I would add 1-2 more sessions per week doing the same or more volume per day that you are doing now. In fact, if I were in your shoes and truly not able to bike or run, I would commit to a swim-focused training block where I was swimming 5-7 days per week in an attempt to make significant swim gains and build overall fitness.

Swimming is very different from running in that you can go hard, day after day after day. It may wear you out but it shouldn't (if your form is reasonable) be too hard on the body to add significant swimming volume.

Just my two cents
2015-04-21 10:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion

How long and often were you running before tendonitis?  I used to get recurring Achilles tendonitis when I was running up to 45 min to an hour, I then rested a bunch but it would always come back.  The thing is I always ran perfectly flat trails.  I then started adding in a short 'hilly' trail run (not big hills!) every week and MAGICALLY I never got Achilles tendonitis again.  

I think that once you get heeled, start back up slow and try to incorporate one day of moderate hill training.  Though when you start hill training, do it at half volume of what a 'normal' short run would be as your body needs to get used to hill training.

2015-04-21 10:27 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I wouldn't cut your swim volume at all in any individual session. I would add 1-2 more sessions per week doing the same or more volume per day that you are doing now. In fact, if I were in your shoes and truly not able to bike or run, I would commit to a swim-focused training block where I was swimming 5-7 days per week in an attempt to make significant swim gains and build overall fitness.

Swimming is very different from running in that you can go hard, day after day after day. It may wear you out but it shouldn't (if your form is reasonable) be too hard on the body to add significant swimming volume.

Just my two cents

Agree 100% with Jason on the volume here. No need at all to cut back just because you are adding a day or two of swimming instead of a run or bike. The wear and tear on the body is far less while swimming than running. You need to push yourself but swimming 5-6 days a week real hard will not hurt you. I know, I did it for years.

However, I don't think you need to be off the bike that long. I had multiple bouts of AT and was back on the bike pretty quickly, within 2 weeks. A great opportunity to build on your swimming or cycling.

Keep up the exercises even after you are feeling better and roll the tendon often.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adding a training day...due to tendinitis Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Strength Training - Add another day?

Started by Trbilbao
Views: 808 Posts: 8

2013-08-06 8:25 PM Trbilbao

Training is on hold due to dumb "injury"

Started by Thomasski
Views: 878 Posts: 8

2009-08-10 7:58 AM canadarn2001

The season is over due to injuries :-( How to train now

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 1203 Posts: 14

2007-08-03 12:25 AM J.D. the Fish

Added Rest Day

Started by hikergerb
Views: 570 Posts: 8

2005-06-28 10:02 AM clflgrl

Fell off the training due to illnesses

Started by shrano
Views: 513 Posts: 3

2005-04-18 11:34 PM CindyK
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 23, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
Does wearing minimalist shoes put more stress on the ankles, shins and knee joints with the loss of padding from conventional running shoes?

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : January 1, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What can I do to solve this problem. I took a month off cycling to let it get back to normal, but as soon as I got back on the bike in the aero position, felt it.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.