General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Vegetarian or Vegan triathletes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-18 9:06 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Any Vegetarian or Vegan triathletes?
In case anyone is interested in some good sources of information, this guy, ironically enough a bariatric surgeon, is a vegan and has done extensive research on plant based and meat based eating. He used to be a strong, strong proponent of the "atkins diet" until he continued his research in support of it, and eventually became a vegan himself.

he counsels his patients and often has success in that his patients no longer need his surgical services. His professional website has little of his research, so his facebook page is the best source of much of his writing and research/ literature reviews. He's not unpleasant to look at either.

https://www.facebook.com/drgarth?ref=br_rs

he regular reviews and discusses nutritional studies as he reads them. You might enjoy .

2015-10-27 12:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

molto veloce mama
I also try to eat a plant based diet. I don't eat meat or dairy, but I am not strict vegan as much as I would like to be. I have a few exceptions that keep me from being a true vegan (below). My husband and kids are vegetarian and eat dairy and eggs, and the kids occasionally eat fish (at grandma's).

My exceptions are eggs, wool, and isinglass. I occasionally eat eggs but try to indulge only when given to me by friends who raise chickens. We are car free and ride year round during the Minnesota winters, so I favor ethically sourced wool instead of synthetic fiber. It lasts longer, keeps me warmer, stinks less, and is natural and not petroleum based. I also need to be able to consume isinglass due to the industry I work in, but it is definitely rare that I consume it (usually at special releases and beer fests).

Edited by autumn 2015-10-27 12:27 PM
2015-10-27 2:54 PM
in reply to: rizztalah

User image

Denver, Colorado
There is a great book - and also a website "No Meat Athlete": http://www.nomeatathlete.com/
This guy is a runner (I believe he is ultra-runner), he did plenty of research, has a lot of resources, and interesting articles, tips, advices, podcasts, etc.

My diet is about 90% vegetarian (I eat chicken when I cook for my kids and I cannot resist well prepared hamburgers and anything on grill...). I agree on the calories intake. I was concerned about it, so I signed up for the My Fitness pal to kind of track what I was eating and to make sure I am getting enough calories (I tried in excel, but it was too much work to search for all the nutrition information, and the myfitnesspal has all the database). I use it as a tool and just to have an idea.

Mary
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Vegetarian or Vegan triathletes? Rss Feed  

of 2