4th Dimension Racing
38F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 12s
Overall Rank = 9/57
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

I've had a lot going on this week as my cousin's memorial was on Saturday. A ton of family was in town and Thursday night I ended up out waaaaaaaaaaay too late with them.Beer report: "Another IPA" and the "Single Hop Pale" But it was totally worth it. However, I've already been a little under the weather so I came home a touch early from work Friday, got in bed and slept for a couple hourse, woke up for dinner then went to bed at 8:00 pm. J was super sweet and brought me an "EmergenC cocktail" which was just emergenC with a strawberry slice on the rim lol.

So, long story short, no beer :(
Event warmup:

I woke up quite groggy and still not feeling right. I don't usually allow myself to have cereal in the house because I am kind of addicted to it. I will rip through a box in two days, easy. Anyway, I happened to have bought some and I just couldn't stop at one bow. So I had 2...or was i 2 and a half? Anyway, my stomach hurt all the way up to the start of the race.

The lot was full when I got to the event so I had to park offsite. Which really, was no big deal as it allowed me to get a warmup jog into the park. I picked up my packet then ran some more. Maybe 3 miles total? Towards the end of the warmup I did some strides then headed down the trail to the start for the pre-race meeting.
Run
  • 1h 22m 12s
  • 7.46 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I lined up near the front and listened to the meeting. Everything seemed pretty straight-forward and I had studied the course map pretty well. They counted down and we were off.

I immediately felt bad. I originally thought it was because I had been under the weather but now I don't know. This course was just plan hard! The climb was VERY steep on a gravel service road. About a half mile up we were directed to a side loop trail through May Valley. This was very technical single track that was quite grown over. The ferns draped over the trail so you couldn't really see the footing. Most of the time I was just hoping for the best. I worked my way up to 5th or 6th place overall. I didn't see another woman anywhere.

As it got steeper, I passed another couple of guys and must have been close to 3rd or 4th. The Valley Loop started to go downhill and we all sped up. It was even trickier to find your footing when running faster. Also, in this section alone there were at least 10 downed trees which you either had to hurdle or stop and climb.

Because I was going so quickly, trying to sight footing AND keep a good rhythm I totally missed my turnoff. I began back onto the loop again, moving uphill. I got about 1' down the course and decided I probably missed a turn. I turned around and got back on course but it cost me! I had to pass about 10 people and still didn't have the leaders back in sight.

Then, as we finished the lollipop and were headed back onto the service road I noticed my shoe was untied. Sighhhhhhhh. I knew I had to stop as we were waaaay too early in the race to leave it. I stopped and lost another 20 seconds or so.

There were now a few miles of steady steep climbing on the double wide service road. It was gravel and in reasonable shape. I just put my head down and went to work.

I tried not to focus too much on what or who was up ahead. I just got into a mental zone and kept repeating to myself "DO.NOT.STOP.RUNNING" About a mile in I started passing all the same people I had in May valley and was finally working myself up into my original position. The climb was some of the most challenging running I had ever done, yet is was soooooo slow.

Everyone was doing run walk intervals. I reeled them in one after another. ALL of them encouraging me (which is the awesome thing about trail racing.) Finally I was in my original position with only a few ahead. I kept pushing and as we approached the aid station I saw a man hiking on the trail and he was walking backwards because it was so steep! He looked at me, like I was a complete nut case and said, "How do you do that?" I just smiled and told him I have no idea. Although I was thinking to myself, "Dude, I am not the one walking up a mountain backwards!"

I was only 4 back from the lead. The peak of the mountain was in sight. I made one more pass as I made it to the top.

I had made it all the way to the top without walking! Well, except for my shoe tie stop. I was extremely proud of myself.

After the peak we started a long descent and it wasn't long before a couple of the guys passed me. I have really been working on descending, and I have gotten much better at it but I have a lot of opportunity for improvement to say the least.

The downhill was all on single track. It was VERY technical and some spots were incredibly steep. In fact there was one hill I considered sitting on my rear and sliding down.

After about two thirds of a mile or so of descending we hit another uphill. Another uphill? How can we possibly go up anymore? But we did.. Almost 500 feet in fact! It allowed me to catch all the way up o the guys again, however I stayed behind them rather than passing.

We crested that final hill then it was all down.

Down, down, down, down. for about 1800 feet.

I thought I was doing pretty well. I had a good rhythm and was staying up on my toes. My tunrover was quick (although I need to keep working on this)

Still, I saw no other women.

That being said, I did not relax. I did NOT want to lose the OA women's win because I suck at downhilling. So, I pushed hard. TO the point where I was a little uncomfortable and out of control. I was hot on the tail of one of the guys who had passed me. I was just out of reach but I was using him as a rabbit to push me a little out of my comfort zone.

Then out of nowhere he gets tripped up and went down HARD. He curled into a little ball as I approached him. I thought for sure he broke his leg.

I asked him if he was alright and he said, "sort of" and offered to help him up but he said he wanted to sit for a minute. I asked if I could get him some help of any kind and he said that he really wanted to finish under his own power. So I let him be. He assured me he wanted to again so I took off.

I'm not really sure what the right call is here. I guess I can't really help someone if they don't want it. And I totally get that.

There was a little more single track and then we opened back up onto the gravel road, made a quick right then a left into the winding finish trail. I cruised into the finish feeling exhausted but accomplished. That mountain was a beast!

I waited around the finish for the guy who fell to make sure he made it and he did. His ankle/leg was VERY swollen but he finished with a smile and thanked me. He said he just wanted to wait for the swelling and adrenaline to set it so he could finish. Sigh, boys ;)
What would you do differently?:

I just need to keep practicing. There is ALWAYS room for improvement in uphill running and for me, lots in downhill too.

Not miss my turn, tie my shoes better

Post race
Warm down:

I jogged around a bit and then up towards the start where I had ditched my long sleeve then back to my car for about 2 total.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Suck at downhills still
Need to continue to improve fitness
Missing the turn
Tying Shoe
Still not 100% Healthy

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-03-11 12:00 AM
Running
01:22:12 | 07.46 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 9/57
Performance: Average
Course: This race is the most challenging in the series. The race has a total gain of 2,800' for the 12K. The single track is extremely technical with 10-15 trees down on course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-04-14 5:03 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Squak Mountain Trail Run - 12K

2015-04-14 5:20 PM
in reply to: #5108128

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Squak Mountain Trail Run - 12K

Your RR's read like epic novels!!!!!!!! Awesome job as always. Cool on you for checking on the guy. Congrats on the OA win!

Glad the cereal and illness and lack of beer didn't hold you back too much

2015-04-14 5:44 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Awesome race and congrats on another fine finish.  Pretty cool that you got to do a little steeplechase action on the trail.

Those technical downhill sections can be extremely hazardous.  I sure hope you escape peril before you are back to some road racing.

2015-04-14 6:57 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Congratulations!!  You rock!  The steep uphills and downhills are really tricky.

2015-04-14 8:58 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

Seriously, you look human but you're really a goat. And with no pre-race beer....that's impressive.  As for the debate on stop or dont, it sound like you made the right call. If someone really needs help, they usually dont brush you off.  Congrats and look forward to following you through the series. 

2015-04-14 9:48 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Great race!

Sucks about the turn (and the shoe), but it's all part of it.  And, yes, boys will be boys (and we can be stoopid).  

Even though you say there's room to improve technically (here always is, right?), you MUST be feeling pretty good about your skillz.

Very nice race!
Matt

2015-04-15 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nicely done, all around. You asked if he wanted help and he turned you down, so no more you can do. And you were first woman finisher!!!! As an aside, I just want to mention no beer = 1st woman.  hmmmmmm, you may have to think about that! 

Seriously though, great job on a tough day, way to work!!!! Congratulations.

2015-04-15 1:17 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Your RR's read like epic novels!!!!!!!! Awesome job as always. Cool on you for checking on the guy. Congrats on the OA win!

Glad the cereal and illness and lack of beer didn't hold you back too much

Haha thank you. ME TOO!!!!

2015-04-15 1:18 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

Awesome race and congrats on another fine finish.  Pretty cool that you got to do a little steeplechase action on the trail.

Those technical downhill sections can be extremely hazardous.  I sure hope you escape peril before you are back to some road racing.

Sheeeeesshhhhh Steve! 

2015-04-15 1:21 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Great race!

Sucks about the turn (and the shoe), but it's all part of it.  And, yes, boys will be boys (and we can be stoopid).  

Even though you say there's room to improve technically (here always is, right?), you MUST be feeling pretty good about your skillz.

Very nice race!
Matt

I'm happy with my ability to run uphill. I'm a little stumped on the downhill stuff. I don't know if it's just an experience thing or maybe a little more prescriptive? I mean, I'm not running slowly (we are talking sub 6 pace on the steeps) I am just not running as fast as those around me. But it's hard when you are comparing yourself to men. We are not built equally.

I also feel as though my fitness has a lot of room for development. I just feel like I've got more in here and really need to work hard. But I am not unhappy! 

2015-04-15 1:22 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

Nicely done, all around. You asked if he wanted help and he turned you down, so no more you can do. And you were first woman finisher!!!! As an aside, I just want to mention no beer = 1st woman.  hmmmmmm, you may have to think about that! 

correlation does not imply causation

2015-04-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I was thinking if you'd had beer you'd have been 1st OA

2015-04-15 2:57 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

I was thinking if you'd had beer you'd have been 1st OA

Yup, TJ summed up my thoughts, too!

You are simply incredible and inspiring.  Congrats on a fantastic race, even with the untied shoe lace, the tiny detour, no beer, lotsa cereal, and helping that guy.  It's so fun to read your reports.  The view from the front of the pack is enlightening!

2015-04-15 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Maybe, but I believe more testing is necessary 

2015-04-15 3:59 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I think your Running super power just might not be Hops & Barley Powered.... but, that doesn't mean you should forego what has worked for ya

Wow, that's one seriously impressive race, and the pics of those trails are incredible.... I'm completely envious.

Congrats on an incredible run, Salty!

2015-04-16 1:47 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by kcarroll

Seriously, you look human but you're really a goat. And with no pre-race beer....that's impressive.  As for the debate on stop or dont, it sound like you made the right call. If someone really needs help, they usually dont brush you off.  Congrats and look forward to following you through the series. 

Thank you! It should be a wild ride!

2015-04-17 2:57 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Maybe, but I believe more testing is necessary 

Maybe 4 beers this time?

2015-04-17 3:28 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by popsracer

Sheeeeesshhhhh Steve! 

Sorry, I just worry because I care about you.  Kind of a pops thing I guess.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Squak Mountain Trail Run - 12K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Squak Mountain Marathon

Started by Pilgrim
Views: 653 Posts: 1

2013-07-27 8:27 PM Pilgrim

Summer Roundup Trail Run 12K

Started by daisy2908
Views: 1218 Posts: 2

2008-07-07 6:49 PM Donskiman

Summer Roundup Trail Run 12K

Started by Donskiman
Views: 1232 Posts: 3

2008-07-07 6:55 PM Donskiman

Scar Top Mountain Run 12K

Started by peto_primo
Views: 1109 Posts: 3

2008-07-06 6:40 AM Sledge

2008 USA Trail Running Championships 12K - 1st in

Started by DickDime
Views: 1663 Posts: 6

2008-07-02 7:44 AM triathlonfun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
comments : 1
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
So after about 10,000 emails, dozens of phone calls, and one pre-race pasta dinner, the 1st meeting of the Steve's in a triathlon finally arrived.