General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Join a club or alone for first time triathlon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-14 8:58 PM

Subject: Join a club or alone for first time triathlon?
This year will be new experience for me! Thinking about 1st Tri during the summer. However, not really sure if I should join in a local Tri club or do it alone.

For swimming, I used to be a swimmer for long time so not so worry about training in a swimming pool, but I will be more comfortable with others for open water, bike, off course.

I found several tri club around my area, member fee are vary some are like $35-50 and another one is $350 for first year.

So I just want to hear others idea.
Do you do Tri(training) alone or with Club? And why?

2015-04-14 9:13 PM
in reply to: Ruby14

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Join a club or alone for first time triathlon?

A tri club is how I got into this sport in the first place

If it's your first time doing triathlon, you'll gain a vast amount of knowledge from the others in the group, and no doubt make best friends in the process. If money isn't an issue, I say go for it.

2015-04-14 9:33 PM
in reply to: #5108178

User image

I would say it is personal preference. Tri clubs are nice because you get to meet people who share your same passion, meet up for group rides/runs, and most clubs have negotiated discounts at local tri/bike shops....so, there is some value there too. However, if you are a self-motivator and can stick to a training schedule, and don't mind running alone and riding alone, then save your money. When you attend your first race, there will be plenty others who will be racing their first time. Just ask questions. The tri community is very welcoming. There are always a few douchebags who only care about winning, but you will be able to pick them out pretty easily. Good luck and welcome to the obsession.
2015-04-15 12:39 AM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Both are good. I like the freedom to train whenever I want/can that I have as a "loner". But in a club, I would meet like minded people and maybe would push myself that little extra bit more. Actually, this Saturday, I am going to run witj a group for the for first time. Maybe I'll get hooked on running witj poeple!

Right now I am all on my own but I did have a coach in a few months with whom I learned quite a few valuable things. I would recommend that if you decide to go the alone way.

Good luck with your training!

2015-04-15 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I went alone for quite a while. I too was a swimmer so no issues getting that training right. Cycling turned out to be the part I like best. I made a lot of progress just riding a lot. What really helped me was a Mentors group here on BT. I know I was far better off being able to learn from all the folks here who are happy to help.

Now the run for me was a different story. I have never been a runner and never will be. This was the one area where going alone was a big mistake for me. I tried to ramp up too fast and ended up with Achilles tendon issues on both feet. Again what helped me were the people here in my Mentors group.

Bottom line, I don't see the need to join a tri group unless you find the structured setting with others of benefit. If that's the case, check out the groups and join the one you like. I know that's a great option for a whole lot of people.

If you want to go it alone until you get to your first race and decide if this is a sport (addiction actually) for you, then I strongly suggest you find a Mentors group to join and jump on this site a lot. There is always someone here in a similar circumstance that will post a question that you can learn from.

Good luck and let us know how your first race goes.
2015-04-15 6:00 PM

User image

I'm not in a club but that's because there isn't one in the vicinity. I agree that it's a personal preference thing.
The pros for joining a club are: company, you tend to work harder and long when you're with others, you get ideas and training plans, motivation.
The cons for joining a club are: you have to work around the schedule of others, some can be social enough to slow you down, you often have to travel to your workout, you tend to follow the plans of others rather than something that's individually suited for you.

2015-04-15 8:07 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Been racing for six years and the only Tri club I belong to is the BT web site. A lot of great support and quick answers to my questions.
2015-04-15 9:36 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Extreme Veteran
I ride with/for a local bike shop, I joined the local running club, and I can't fit masters swimming into my schedule but would do it in a heartbeat.

It's funny, I never really considered joining a tri club, but have found other triathletes through my other endeavors.

It's nice to find training partners if some of your rides or runs are comparable, but I still train solo a lot especially through winter.
2015-04-16 6:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I prefer to do just about 100% of my training by myself.  That way I'm on my schedule, and not someone else's.  I just want to do my workouts and be done with it.  My other time I'd prefer to spend with my family.  Tri training is a selfish endeavor, so I don't need to make it even more selfish by spending more time involved with it.

The irony in that is I helped co-found one of the largest tri clubs in my area, and spend almost zero time doing anything with that club.  Local races are the only time I really ever see my tri club peeps, aside from snarky comments on Facebook. :-)

2015-04-16 8:56 AM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
I first started Tri about 9-10 years ago. I started alone because I came from a background of biking and running. Plus, I really hated duathlon - still do.
I joined a team in 2009 and it's been great.
Teammates are fantastic. Better swimmers to catch and draft off of during pool and OWS training. Better cyclists to draft and catch during training, better runners to try and catch. Team training is a total blast. Not to mention the team kit is pretty rad.
When it comes to races, and say 6-15 teammates are racing, it's great ! A team tent, high 5s on the run course.. Of course it's a race to see who rules the team after the race. We have podium guys and gals and we have MOPs.
Either way is cool. Teams are what they are, a team.
2015-04-16 4:36 PM
in reply to: #5108190

Thanks to all for the comments. Now I'm know what I want to do for my first Triathlon.
Some join a tri club, some does their own or join a running(cycling)club. I never thought about BT training program which are very interesting to me.

Again, thanks everyone. I never knew this BT is so helpful for me as a newbie to hear others thoughts until now.

Good luck to everyone racing this year!

2015-04-17 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I love my Tri Club! we train 3-4x a week in different disciplines of the sport and it makes it much more fun then training alone. I have also learned a great deal from everyone over the last 5 years.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Join a club or alone for first time triathlon? Rss Feed