General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Legs cramps while swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-15 2:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Legs cramps while swimming?
I've always been prone to leg cramps while swimming, but I hadn't noticed them in a long time. Now that I am training for an IM distance race, I seem to get them every time I'm in the pool. I have been swimming between 3,500 and 4,200 yards recently and the cramps seem to start when I am about 2,000 - 2,500 into my swim.

I've tried hydrating well, I've tried adding electrolyte drinks (Nuun) and alternating that with water all day, and I've tried adding salt before and even during my swim (Electrosalt). I'm thinking that maybe I need magnesium supplements? I am not kicking a lot and sometimes the cramps come while I am just standing there resting between sets.

Has anyone else had this issue? Have you tried supplements and did they help?

I am less than 5 weeks from my race, so I need to get this figured out!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by aggiegrad96 2015-04-15 2:25 PM

2015-04-15 2:59 PM
in reply to: aggiegrad96

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Legs cramps while swimming?

I've had the same thing happen to me twice - both while building to a HIM.  Happened about 2.5-3 months before the race, so about half way through the total build and when I started to introduce more intensity into my running workout (rather than base work).  I also found that pushing off the wall and pointing my toes was leading to a lot of it. 

Two things helped **me** with this.  First was when it happened the first time it just took about 3 weeks of my fitness adjusting to the new kind of work and they sort of stopped (actually they came on later and later in the swim - from around 2k the first time, which was a surprise when it happened, to the low 3k's and then stopped). 

Second time I was able to get ahead of it after the first cramping (at the same point in the build and same distance in the swim) by pushing off a bit less forcefully and trying real hard not to point my toes and fell all streamlined.  Not a problem for me, as I'm getting ready for OWS, so if my push off loses me a second per length I don't really care - as long as I'm getting in the type of swimming I need.

YMMV, of course, but that was my experience.  I didn't change anything wrt hydration or electrolytes, but it doesn't mean it's not an issue for you.  Most cramping seems related to fitness, IME, but here again people's experience differs...

Good luck!

Matt

2015-04-15 4:44 PM

User image

It happens to everyone when they increase their time in the pool either more days or longer swims.

You can try nutrition, you can try stretching out more, you can try bananas before you swim.

Or you can just ignore it and don't push off as hard.

No matter what you do, it'll go away in 2-3 weeks because you'll become more used to pointing your toes for longer periods of time because that's all that's "wrong" right now.

2015-04-15 4:58 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

it is a fitness thing.  You are doing more than your muscles can handle.

2015-04-15 5:55 PM

User image

I tried everything for my cramps too but nothing worked except adaption. I had them for the first year and a half of swimming and then they went away. They come back every time I bump up the intensity or greatly increase the swimming time. I'm guessing your muscles just have to get used to it.
2015-04-15 6:47 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

This thread makes me happy.

2015-04-15 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
wondering if you are doing any other workouts prior to your swim ? such as bike or run .

other than that, it's probably what dmiller said...going beyond your fitness level

the only things that may help, other than better fitness, is staying hydrated and with sufficient electrolytes, and periodic stretching.

I find my calves and feet tend to cramp while swimming if I run prior, or if I push the distance. usually I can just stretch a bit and it is good enough.
2015-04-15 9:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Swam for years as a kid, no issues. Starting training for Tri, no problem for 1st 6 months in pool. Then one day had such bad cramps in calves and then another day a huge cramps in my hamstrings.

I also tried hydration, banana, and almonds. No silver bullet.

I finally did a 1000 yard kick workout and simply tried to work through it. Stretched every 50-100 yards. Massaged my calfs and pushed myself to the point of feeling a cramp coming on and then relaxed and worked through it. After workout, took long dip in hot tub.

Now about 1 workout per month I have mild leg cramps.

This also gave me some experience with what to do if I had one when I was in a race in the middle of the lake!

Good luck.

Edited by scottficek 2015-04-15 9:46 PM
2015-04-16 12:03 AM

User image

If you are looking to your nutrition to help with muscles cramps I would suggest foods high in Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium as they all aid in optimal muscle function as well as decreasing muscle cramping .....a calming effect. I suggest looking at a list of foods rich in these electrolytes and minerals. Bananas are not the best bang for your buck for potassium. It goes without saying opitmal hydration is crucial.
I would also loosely point your toes as a way to avoid cramping as well as looking at how you are using fins if that is part of your training.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Legs cramps while swimming? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Leg Cramps (inside of leg above knee)

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 5539 Posts: 10

2012-04-02 5:13 PM tri808

Leg Cramps from Swimming

Started by cresap
Views: 15325 Posts: 7

2008-02-27 11:09 PM avjetdale

Calf Cramps during the swimming leg

Started by lh100
Views: 957 Posts: 6

2007-12-14 8:33 PM getsome

Weird Lower Leg Cramps while Swimming?

Started by Shaved_Wookie
Views: 2022 Posts: 12

2005-12-29 8:08 AM amiine

cramp in both legs while swimming

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1320 Posts: 9

2004-05-15 8:46 PM vmax3000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
As I was pulling my wetsuit off while standing in the water, my left calf cramped such that my foot was pointed, the muscle was rock hard, and I could not pull my foot out of point for 30 seconds.

date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
Life and training are a lot easier without hair
date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?

date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.
date : April 21, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
There are a few things you can do prevention-wise to avoid these annoying toe cramps (one of which is NOT eating tons of bananas as the common wisdom dictates!)

date : September 17, 2007
Muscle cramps occur in 67% of triathletes. This article discusses several theories on the causes of cramps and what to do if you get one and how to prevent cramps.
date : May 21, 2007
comments : 2
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.

date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.