United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 30s
Overall Rank = 744/3127
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 43/394
Pre-race routine:

Headed to Pottsville Friday night with LT and Cuda, LT serving as Sherpa for Cuda and I since she didn't register in time. Grabbed our goodies at packet pick-up, then headed to Vito's for some awesome coal-fire oven pizza. The pizza is really why LT comes along, not because she likes Cuda and I. ;) Enjoyed a nice Yuengling Summer Wheat with our meal, yum!

Next stop: our no-frills motel in Frackville. Got a fairly decent night's sleep. Awoke in good time, ate a banana and a Pop-Tart (frosted cherry) and drank iced-tea for breakfast on the way to the race. We arrived in very good time, got a good parking spot and just chilled, chatting in the car until closer to start time.
Event warmup:

Walked to the port-a-johns, then I did some slow jogging as a warm up, plus some stretches. Found LT and Cuda, wished Cuda luck and we parted ways to seed ourselves appropriately. Listened to the national anthem and patiently waited my turn as they let clusters of runners start.
Run
  • 00m
  • 5 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

Let's get the shocking fact out of the way first: I ignored all 'alternative' drink stations, believe it or not! It was hard to resist the bloody Mary/mimosa table, but there was a crowd around it which deterred me. I didn't want to waste time wading through people.

OK, now the race recap. The first mile was slow going because it starts on the hill and the entire first mile is nothing but hill. Also, there were a lot of walkers to dodge, many walking multiple people abreast in the middle, sides, wherever they pleased. This also meant dodging other runners dodging walkers! The wind also seemed to be funneling right down the street into our faces, and it was no gentle breeze, it was wind. LT was partway up the hill cheering us on. She's awesome like that.

Got through the first mile and got a brief respite of downhill before hitting the first of two very steep uphills. Ugh, this thing goes on forever! (or so it seems) I refused to walk and made a running-type motion the whole way up the hill. Huff, puff, tried to keep up a decent pace and recover from the hill at the same time. Near the end of mile 2 is the 2nd ugly uphill, just as steep as the first but not quite as long. It's conveniently next to the cemetary so they won't have far to take the bodies ;) People crowd around the hills to see the carnage, I think. There is decent spectator support throughout, but they seemed to congregate at the 'action' spots, sick devils! At the top of the hill, a guy was yelling, "It's all downhill from here, with a tailwind, and there's beer at the finish!" Motivating (and true!) words to be sure!

Kept moving as fast as possible, working with the downhill and the tailwind. Got to the steep downhill, slowed some out of necessity, and prayed I wouldn't fall or no one would fall into me. Yes, it is that steep/sketchy. Kept pumping on the stretch to the finish, again praying I'd keep my feet under me and stay upright. LT was cheering and I tried to go faster after doing some goofy move (see pics), but there wasn't a whole lot extra to give at that point. Hit the line happy and spent.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go a little harder on the first mile, but overall I'm OK with my time. It's a course PR for me, since it's the first year I've really been able to race this race. The first year I stayed with Cuda since it was her first 5K, and last year I took it easy after just returning after a hamstring injury.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water and snacks (which I left in Cuda's bag and never got to eat), then headed back up the hill to find LT to watch/cheer for Cuda. She came in a little sooner than expected, a 5K PR!! Woooo!

Kept my tradition of getting a pic with an interestingly costumed runner by asking gladiator man to pose with me.

Next we got in the beer line for our two free beers, toasted KH since she couldn't be there because of recent neck surgery, ate some buffalo pierogies and had fun people watching and chatting. Enjoyed the live music and fun atmosphere. Checked out the gift shop at the brewery and got some goodies. Grabbed some Yuengling Carmel Sea Salt ice cream on the way to the car, then headed back to, you guessed it, Vito's for lunch! For lunch I had some tasty bang bang wings which I shared with Cuda and had a delicious caprese salad and another Summer Wheat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pottsville is very hilly. Hills make most people who are old and not part mountain goat run slower. :)

Event comments:

This is a very well organized race which we enjoy coming back to year after year and it just keeps improving. The cool part is Mr. Dick Yuengling, owner of the brewery, is present and available during the afterparty, mingling and getting photos with the runners. Mad props to him for keeping it fun, real, and grounded.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-10-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 05 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/394
Overall: 0/3127
Performance: Good
Course: As Cuda said, "NBH - nothin' but hills!" The first mile is a steady uphill. MIle 2 contains a slight downhill and both of the steeper uphills. Mile 3 is mainly downhill, and downhill to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-04-15 2:46 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K

2015-04-15 3:17 PM
in reply to: #5108391

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K

Nicely done!!!! How cool is it to run with friends and then see the brewery owner "Keeping it real"?

Congrats on a great day.

2015-04-15 3:50 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

"It's conveniently next to the cemetary so they won't have far to take the bodies" Hahahahaha!

I love this report. OMG Buffalo pierogies?? Yummm. What kind of beer did you get for free? Was it only Lager? 

I think the move you did for the photo would be categorized as... maybe a celebratory Cher? Orrrr, celebratory t-rex? (does this mean Cher and T-rex are synonymous?)

2015-04-15 3:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So much awesome in one report. Beer, running-type motion, beer ice cream, friends, mimosas, PR...  good stuff!

Congrats on the PR

ETA: oh yeah, and pierogies!!!

Edited by rrrunner 2015-04-15 3:53 PM
2015-04-15 4:20 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

PR, beer and pirogues?  Come on!

Awesome race and a great report.  Thanks and congrats!

Matt

2015-04-15 4:35 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great job on the race and thanks for the report.  Now that is my kind of race, ah except for the hills.  Sounds like a super fun event.

2015-04-16 12:42 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Asalzwed

"It's conveniently next to the cemetary so they won't have far to take the bodies" Hahahahaha!

I love this report. OMG Buffalo pierogies?? Yummm. What kind of beer did you get for free? Was it only Lager? 

I think the move you did for the photo would be categorized as... maybe a celebratory Cher? Orrrr, celebratory t-rex? (does this mean Cher and T-rex are synonymous?)

Yeah, only one choice in beer, Yuengling Lager Light.  Not a bad beer, but not my favorite Yuengling beer.

T-rex, ha ha ha!  Love it!

And yes, if I could, I would live on pierogies. 

2015-04-16 1:58 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Great run!  Course PR!  Great race report!

Running type motion up the hill -- love it!

When reading your logs and race reports, I always wish that I had a key.  LT is who?  Cuda what?  KH?  Neck injury?  How did I miss this?

Cuda kept your snack!  Kevin does that to me all the time.  Uh, I ran a half marathon and you stole my pretzels?!

2015-04-20 1:34 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Heh heh, sorry!  Cuda's an easy one, I almost always refer to her as Cuda in my logs, etc.  She's the one next to me in two of the pics, my other (other than TJ) twin separated at birth (so maybe we're all triplets separated at birth? LOL).  Yeah, our very dramatic height and age difference makes the twin nickname thing especially funny!  LT is my tri buddy (she got me into tri) who also does running races, we work together and do a fair amount of activities together.  KH is a pal I used to work with until I changed jobs and doesn't get mentioned too often since I usually only see her at a few races here and there.

2015-04-21 9:12 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm not sure what to comment on: the name of the town, Frackville?!  For some reason that makes me laugh!; the Alternative drink stations that you did not  visit!; the gladiator picture; the super awesome sounding Yuengling carmel sea salt ice cream!!!; post race beer; the keeping it real beer dude...some many great things.  Oh, and among all that you raced!!  And got a course PR!!  All in all fantastic stuff  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Yuengling Oktoberfest 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1619 Posts: 12

2014-10-30 1:02 PM rrrunner

Yuengling Lager Jogger 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1671 Posts: 6

2014-05-07 4:18 PM QueenZipp

Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1243 Posts: 6

2013-04-19 3:00 PM reecealan

Indy 5k w/ jogger

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 956 Posts: 1

2007-07-05 10:17 PM Shermbelle

Calvin Spring 5k with jogger

Started by Shermbelle
Views: 877 Posts: 1

2007-05-21 10:43 AM Shermbelle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Incorporating strides to improving your cadence, be light on your feet and improve your run times.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Marni will show you how to make your own delicious and nutritious wrap that is light on calories but high in protein and nutrients.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 4, 2005
author : Michael
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.
date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.