Overall Rank = 550/1918
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Swim
  • 44m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim felt very good. Was cautious being the first race of the year, but the winter training paid off. Felt strong the whole way and was able to really turn up the speed at the end. Probably started too slowly, but wanted to settle into the a full IM pace and see how it felt. Think I could hold this pace in Texas next month. Let the water strong and feeling confident.
What would you do differently?:

For a full IM don't think I am going to do anything different. Felt really good. For shorter distances, At another half IM, I think this year I can start pushing the speed a bit.
Transition 1
  • 05m 56s
Comments:

Really took my time in transitions. Again, using this as a prep race for Texas where I will take my time in transition. Wasn't racing through transition as much as just getting set up on the bike and heading out for a nice ride.

I think I will pick up the pace. No sense taking it slow in transition. I can use the first few miles of the bike to settle in, so might as well get through T1 as quickly as possible without forgetting anything.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.73 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike felt really good, and when I came off at the end I was feeling strong. Again, the winter time on the trainer really seemed to pay off. Stopped at two of the three aid stations to refill the water and use the prta-potty. That didn't take too much time off and made the ride more comfortable. Will definitely do that in IM Texas.

Don't think I would do anything differently on the bike. Rode at a comfortable pace but not easy. Think I could hold that for the full IM. Will make a small adjustment in my seat and move it up just a little. I found that everyone now and then I had to scoot back to find a comfortable position. This won't be a major change, just a tweak.
Transition 2
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

As with T1, I took my time here; sat to change shoes, made sure to use socks and no pebbles, hit the restroom on the way out, etc. Really in on hurry. Had no problems at all transitioning to the run. The brick work over the winter had me well prepared to hit the run, so did all the bike work--my legs really weren't all that tired.

I think I need to pick the pace back up on the transitions. Took it too easy and didn't really need to.
Run
  • 2h 00m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt a little slow, but as I have noted throughout the race, I was shooting for a IM pace that would feel comfortable. Walked through all the aid stations, which really helped and I will definitely do during the IM. Not sure if this is a pace I can hold for an IM; it was getting tougher during the third and final loop, but part of that may have been the heat. Had strong legs at the end though and was able to sprint the shoot with no problem. Perhaps the run could have been faster, but again, I felt on the edge of a sustainable pace.

Don't think I would tackle the run any differently.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the biggest limiter to my speed was just taking it a bit easy and approaching this as a practice for the IM. Especially during the run, I didn't chase people down like I usually do. That worked fine for what I wanted here. The heat was also a factor, but it will be in Texas as well.

Event comments:

This was my first race using UCAN Superstarch and was able to finish the whole race just on the starch and a banana--during the run. The stuff worked quite well and I never felt as though I was going to bonk. Lots of energy on the bike and through most of the run. No GI distress at all. Will continue to use it, but for the IM I am going to have to think about additional fueling during the run.

Last updated: 2015-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:28 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1918
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Course was a unique 'M' shape, but was well marked and easy to follow.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:56
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:50:16 | 56 miles | 19.73 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course had more hills than I expected, but overall they were not too bad. Along with the uphills, there were a couple of longer, and fast, downhill segments.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:00:57 | 13.1 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: A three lap course with two really nasty hills on road construction dirt. Not an ideal course, but mainly because of the road construction. Was expecting more of a run on the part property and less in the residential neighborhoods, but alas, it could have been worse.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-04-15 9:16 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by golfraboni
Views: 2462 Posts: 4

2013-05-21 9:04 AM miamiamy

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by jenny1
Views: 2494 Posts: 7

2007-05-24 7:03 PM Tri3

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by The Mac
Views: 3307 Posts: 22

2007-05-24 4:59 PM panout

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by Tri3
Views: 2742 Posts: 6

2007-05-30 8:38 PM Mimir98

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by mrlow954
Views: 2639 Posts: 6

2007-05-29 8:19 AM Marvarnett
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.