General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Race of the season... ended with stitches :( Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-19 8:54 PM

User image

Subject: First Race of the season... ended with stitches :(

My day started at 4:30am and ended instantly at 7:40am.

I was part of the sprinters at the Half Moon Bay Triathlon. It started like every race, lots of people, dark, cold, nerves.

As I watched the waves go I was starting to feel stoked and ready!! Finally my wave went off! I was right on the end of our little lead pack! I was so focused and excited!! I was coming right at the exit banner and I stood up and began running out, when all of a sudden I collide directly into a submerged, jagged, rock!!! I was so cold (we were swimming in Half Moon bay harbor) that I didn't feel too much of a puncture at the time. But I ran so hard into it I completely toppled over the damn thing. I stumbled to my feet quickly and ran out. As soon as I got to the run path something didn't feel right :/ that's when I looked down and saw that my wetsuit at the knee was torn open and I had loads of blood pouring out! So... Yay... my first race, my first DNF.

I sat in the ER with 5 other triathletes... All of us ran into the same rock!! Despite feeling like I took the back of a hammer directly to my knee cap, I'm so grateful it wasn't worse. One sweet girl ended up with 11 stitches, then amother got 8. Both are now out of Wildflower next weekend. I found out after, that a total of 7 triathletes ended up with lacerations. :/

I'm totally bummed. I only ended up with 3 stitches, but it was so deep. I'm stitched now and it's still bleeding and oozy and swollen. I just got over strep throat, guys, and now this!! Haha, is the universe sending me a message?

Overall I'm glad it wasn't worse OR on my foot like the other athletes but still what a helluva way to kick off my season :'(

2015-04-19 9:10 PM
in reply to: rizztalah

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: First Race of the season... ended with stitches :(

Oh geez! What a way to start your race....I believe USAT should cover the medical expenses at least. Isn't that part of the 1 day license?

2015-04-19 10:37 PM
in reply to: rizztalah

Yes, the 'message' is...you're tougher than you know!
Sorry this happened. Hope you heal you very soon!
2015-04-20 1:52 AM
in reply to: SGirl

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ouch! You'd think they'd check for hazards like that.

At least it wasn't another athlete's fingernails. During my first Oly I exited the water bleeding from several cuts from the claws of one of my competitors who was trying to draft by swimming right alongside me. Decided she was just mean, but later found out she really can't see well and always "latches on" to someone; current was washing her into me--usually swims with her hubby but he wasn't able to or something. Another race I ended up with a big gash in my wetsuit and scratch on my stomach, again, from an athlete with "claws". Luckily it wasn't deep enough to need stitches, though I did ooze blood for much of the race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Race of the season... ended with stitches :( Rss Feed