General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shorter crank arm - no propulsion! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-20 7:49 AM

New user

Fredericksburg
Subject: Shorter crank arm - no propulsion!
I recently had a re-fit on my tri bike with a well-respected fitter. One of the biggest adjustments was that he changed my crank arms from 172.5 to 170. So far I am not happy, I have lost my propulsion, I am going much slower and I just have no more "oomph". I used to have a nice long forward flow but now....the turtles on the road are passing. First tri of the season was terrible - I was pedaling to nowhere. Anyone else have any adjustments problems when they went to a shorter arm?

2015-04-20 8:13 AM
in reply to: medic2rn

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: Shorter crank arm - no propulsion!

I recently read something (perhaps on cycling news or velo news) about shorter crank arms actually being beneficial, despite the reduction in the turning force you are able to produce.  It is due to the top and bottom of the stroke being dead spots and the longer the crank arm the more pronounced these are.

How long has it been since your fit?  Have you eliminated any other reasons for a drop in power?  If you can't attribute this to anything else then maybe switch back to 172.5 but keep everything else from your fit as close to it is now and see if that helps.

2015-04-20 8:24 AM
in reply to: tridantri

New user

Fredericksburg
Dan -

Yes this is all the "news" these days, switching to shorter crank arms. The only benefit I have found is climbing - the shorter crank arms are letting me spin a little easier and I am not having to push as hard (if that makes sense). I have gone back to the fitter twice, he is a little "put out" that I am questioning the reason now for switching the crank arms. It was his suggestion, I should have stuck with my gut and kept my 172.5. I still have them and am considering having him put them back on. I just have no "flow" anymore - it is all an up and down motion instead of this nice fluid forward momentum. He fixed some other things that are working great so I am trying to get enough outdoor riding in to see if I can get used to them. I had a race this last weekend and it was miserable - I pedaled to NOWHERE - big drop in time. Thanks for your advice, I am going to call him today.
2015-04-20 9:07 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
It seems like something else in the fit may be wrong... that is a pretty minor change in crank length... most people can go 10+ mm without feeling any difference. Going shorter probably shouldn't make climbing easier as with longer cranks you'd have more leverage.

I guess it's possible, but highly unlikely that that amount of change is making a difference you can easily detect. What else was changed in your fit?
2015-04-20 10:50 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

It seems like something else in the fit may be wrong... that is a pretty minor change in crank length... most people can go 10+ mm without feeling any difference. Going shorter probably shouldn't make climbing easier as with longer cranks you'd have more leverage.

I guess it's possible, but highly unlikely that that amount of change is making a difference you can easily detect. What else was changed in your fit?

x2.....you're talking about a change of less that 1/8". What other changes were made during the fit?
2015-04-20 5:22 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I'm one of those princess-and-the-pea types that can feel a 2.5mm difference in crank length. That said, that doesn't mean it affects my performance detrimentally, I just feel it. I have 175s on my MTB, 172.5s on my road and tri bikes, and 170s on my fixie/track bike. I did once try some 165s on my road bike, and hated it -- no power on the hills. But the shorter cranks aren't meant for "power" in a high-torque meaning, it's all about spin, and opening the hip angle at the top of the pedal stroke in an aero position (or getting lower in front while keeping the same hip angle).

As others have suggested, though, I suspect that there are other fit parameters at play here. What else changed?

2015-04-20 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I switch between 172.5mm and 170mm cranks regularly. The 1.5% difference in leverage is subtle; however, I can't tell the difference in my times.

Something else must be going on. How is your comfort on the bike?
2015-06-18 1:12 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

Tyler,

You need to change your gearing. Bigger ring up front or different cassette. 

It takes a few weeks just to get used to the feel of short cranks. I ride 165's with a 54T up front and 11-23 in back most of the time. 

The benefit is a more open hip angle to hopefully run better off the bike with a faster cadence that mimics your run or you get get into a more aggressive position.  

2015-06-18 7:40 PM
in reply to: triritter

Veteran
Meridian, ID
I thought the "short cranks" were actually using short cranks like 160s or even shorter, 170 aren't really all that short, I don't think it would attribute to loss of power.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shorter crank arm - no propulsion! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Crank Arm Length?

Started by howard11792
Views: 1790 Posts: 7

2009-11-03 12:47 AM audiojan

Crank Arm length

Started by Paulettejo
Views: 844 Posts: 4

2008-08-08 8:01 AM pitt83

Help: Need Custom Crank Arm Length

Started by cityplannerx
Views: 1244 Posts: 6

2008-06-09 11:32 AM McFuzz

What crank arm length?

Started by c_cic
Views: 1048 Posts: 12

2007-02-24 12:54 PM Adam P

crank arm length

Started by Mike 45
Views: 695 Posts: 3

2006-06-16 7:56 PM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.