United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 47s
Overall Rank = 46/123
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 4/16
Pre-race routine:

Plan was to wake up at 3:30, get dressed, walk the dog and drive -with Mark, the almost hour to Peter's house. Along the way I'd eat a bagel and get some fluids in. Then we'd all head over to the park, pick up our packets and get ready to run. All went as planned except at 3:00, I received a work call that took me past 3:30. Why is it when you have to get up stupid early, something happens to get you up even more stupid early?! Or keeps you from getting to sleep to begin with?
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 2h 15m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was the hardest run I've ever done. This includes all other trail HMs, all marathons, and the 25k trail run through the Everglades that almost resulted in heat stroke! In retrospect, I am happy I did this race, but I will not run it again unless they change the course.

Peter asked if I wanted to do this race. I probably would have said yes anyway, but since it had been since July since I did a race with him and another brother (Mark), I was happy to say yes and get back into having a family race. Plus I really love trail races. I knew it would be a hot and humid race and would be hard, but I was not prepared for just how hard.

We arrived at the site shortly after 6, picked up our packets, sprayed bug spray on ourselves and made the obligatory bathroom run/s. While waiting in the ever present line for the women's bathroom (yay, indoor plumbing!), I noticed a number of woman were wearing gators. I've run a number of trail runs and have never felt the need for them and have never noticed many other racers with them; but this race quite a few people were wearing them. That made me a bit suspicious. I became even more suspicious when I found that there was a booth set up with people selling them. Hmm, maybe I should buy a pair. In a very smart move, I did. Neither Peter nor Mark felt the need. Silly boys.
The atmosphere of the race was like all other trail races i've done - very laid back,, lots of nice people, and a lot more really fit people v the normal road race. This race also offered a 50k, 10k and 5k. I'm not sure how many total racers there were, but I'd guess not even 500.

Anyway, the music was playing, coffee and other food flowing and nervous energy was high. There was concern that the course would be very wet since there had been lots of rain during the week, but a report was given that the trail was dry. Other than a couple of muddy sections, the report was correct. The 50k was to start at 6:30 and the HM at 7. I didn't hear why, but the 50k was late starting which pushed back all the other races. We started at almost 7:20. Which means the sun would have a chance to get even higher. Not what we wanted.

Finally, it was time to race. The first half mile was packed and we walked in a couple places because of the number of people trying to fit into the winding single track. The three of us stayed together, made some moves around slower runners and finally got into a nice pace. My plan was to try to keep the pace b/w 8:45 and 9 - terrain dependent. Peter and Mark and much faster runners than me, but planned on doing that pace at least for the first half.

The first 4ish miles jumped between single track with roots and service type roads. Some spots on the service roads were a bit soft, but nothing too bad. We were right on pace. Then we came to a service road that was all messed up. It looked like someone had come through with a shovel digging for gold. I wondered if there were wild hogs in the area and they were responsible for the condition of the trail. Whatever the reason, it slowed us done a little bit. We then came to a couple of boardwalk crossings. Again, the pace slowed on the rickety boardwalks, but not too bad and it provided a nice break from the trail. And then it happened. Sugar sand. Miles and miles of sugar sand!

If you have never run in sugar sand, you are a lucky person. Running in sugar sand is like running on the beach. Not the part near the water, but in the middle of the beach. Except, it's worse as the sand is even finer. When running in sugar sand one usually tries to run on the edges where it is less horrible. Unfortunately, for most of the never ending trail of sugar sand the sides were just as bad as the middle.

When we first entered the sand, we had no idea it would go on for as long as it did, so I was not too upset. I figured it would switch back to single track pretty soon, just like the early portion of the trail. But it just kept coming. Then came the hills of sugar sand! There shouldn't be any hills in the area; so what was up with these rolling "hills". We speculated that they were man-made to allow ATVs to have some fun, but really, we have no idea. What was really discouraging was when I crested a hill (and I use that term loosely, but for us it was a hill of sand), all I could see was more sand. Ugh. I started to get really discouraged. My pace dropped dramatically in the sand and my brothers pulled away. I started to walk sections. I never walk in races. My legs were getting fried and I started to worry about trashing myself so much in this race that I would not be recovered properly for Flying Pig 2 weeks later.

On top of one of the dunes was an aid station. Peter and Mark were there waiting for me. Good brothers that they are - even though I had started to curse them for getting me into this mess :)
I grabbed a gatorade and walked to them to tell them to go on and not worry about me. Peter gave me some peanut M&Ms. At this point of the trail, the park abuts a housing development. In the backyard of one house were 2 dogs - a german shepherd who looked a lot like Gunnar and a Great Dane. They were behind a chicken wire type fense, so they were easy to see and easy to pet. I walked over to them and petted them. That's right, in the middle of my race I stopped to get some dog-time! This is not my normal race M.O., but I was both physically and mentally struggling. I saw one of the race officials and asked how much more sugar sand. Someone yelled out - til the finishing line. The guy I asked said about a half mile. That brought my spirits up a bit. Too bad he lied. It was way more than that. After I had been running for what seemed like forever, I asked a woman who was heading towards me (the 10k runners were coming toward us) if I was almost out of the sugar sand. The look on her face told me all I needed to know.

Finally, I was out of it. It was about 5 miles of deep sugar sand, but I was now free from it!! ( so glad I bought the gators!)The trail looped back on itself and now was an out and back. So, I got to run the two boardwalks again and the section of torn up trail. But I was out of the sand and so happy that I lost a little focus on my footing and in between the 2 boardwalks I caught a toe on a root and fell. Onto my right shoulder. My surgery shoulder. Ugh. Thank goodness I did not extend my arm to try to break my fall, but rather did the tuck and roll. I am sore from it, but I did not do damage to the repair! Yay!!
The sun was pretty high by now and the humidity was high, so I was thrilled to come to the next aid station where one of the volunteers had a gallon jug of ice water that she offered to pour on my head. I happily said yes. It was freezing, but oh so good!!
I tried to pick up my pace, but my legs were done. Mainly hamstrings from above the back of the knees into the glutes. Surprisingly, my quads and calves felt ok or at least weren't yelling at me. Since I was so leg tired I was concerned that I would get sloppy and catch another root, so I really had to concentrate on my footing. Thankfully, I had no further mishaps.

At this point, I was really struggling. Yes, I was leg tired, but it was even more a mental struggle. I hated the sugar sand and allowed myself to feel sorry for myself. This is so unlike me. Finally, I gave myself a good talking to :) and told myself to suck it up, get out of the funk and deal with it. There were only about 3 miles to go and that was no big deal. Sure, the race did not go as expected, but it was a beautiful day and I was out sharing an experience with my brothers. So I shut out the demons I allowed in and kept moving. Until the the aid stations (there were 2 more left). At each one, I stopped long enough to get a drink and get water poured on my head.

In between the last 2 aid stations I came upon a guy who was walking and suffering. I told him we only had about 1.5 miles left ( I lied to him by about .25 mile) and encouraged him. He perked up and began to run with me. We stopped at the last aid station together and ran almost the rest of the way together. I "pulled away" with a bit more than .25 mile to go.

Finally, I crossed the finish line!! Mark was there waiting for me. He finished at least 10 minutes ahead of me. We don't know for sure how much ahead b/c he somehow lost his bib and it had the timing chip. Peter had to run off immediately upon finishing to make it to his daughter's volleyball game. he is the coach, so he sort of had to be there!!

We hung around the site a bit longer listening to the music and talking to people and then left to meet Peter and my niece and SIL for an early lunch.

At lunch we had burgers (mine was vegetarian) fries, beer, and a brownie sundae!!

What would you do differently?:

Train in sugar sand!! Or better yet, not do a race with 5ish miles of sugar sand!!!
Post race
Warm down:

None.

Event comments:

I love trail races and I like challenges and I like hard races, but running in so much sugar sand is not something I care to do again. If they don't change the course, I will not do this race again. I really feel for the 50k people who had to do it 2x!!!

Last updated: 2015-03-09 12:00 AM
Running
02:15:47 | 13.1 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/123
Performance:
Course: This was a trail race trough Johnathan Dickson State Park. The course was out and back through a lot of single track with a good number of roots, some forest service type roads that were mainly in good condition and miles and miles of sugar sand.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-04-20 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: Down to Run Endurance Challange

2015-04-20 9:21 AM
in reply to: #5109363

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Down to Run Endurance Challange

Great job on a challenging course. Sugar sand SUX!!!!!!   Good on ya for getting through it, even if it was only due to a mid race dog stop and self talk. Focus is so important, and even losing it for only a bit of time will make you pay in the roots. I'm glad you came out of this one relatively unscathed.

That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger. You are stronger than before.

2015-04-20 9:30 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Ouch, brutal! Good job on pushing through and finishing!
2015-04-20 11:46 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master

That hurt just to read.  J was kinda laughing at all the sand b/c he can be mean like that. lol

Super glad you didn't mess up your shoulder. yikes!

2015-04-20 1:24 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pennsylvania

5 miles of sugar sand definitely does NOT sound like fun!  I'm glad you wisely rolled when you fell and didn't reinjure your shoulder.  Way to dig deep physically and mentally to finish the race.  Hey, the post-race grub (especially the brownie sundae, fries and beer) sounds like it could make it all worthwhile, or at least help you forget your misery!  Nice work!

2015-04-20 8:23 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Good grief that is some crazy sugar sand! Way to go keeping your head in and find test to enjoy the day

2015-04-20 9:33 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I hate walking from land to the shoreline through that sand, let alone running upwards of 5 miles in it!

KUDOS TO YOU!
2015-04-21 2:46 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Master
Orlando

Thanks all (except J ) !!

2015-04-21 9:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh dear doG!  FIVE MILES of sugar sand!  You are one tough cookie, doing that!

How's the shoulder?  I know that I am still somewhat protective of my surgery shoulder.  I can only imagine the panicy feeling that you had as you determined that you were OK to continue.  Yikes!

I love your description of chasing the demons away.  So true.

You're a very good writer.  I enjoy reading your race reports.

Edited by jmkizer 2015-04-21 9:53 AM
2015-04-21 9:53 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Great job on a challenging course. Sugar sand SUX!!!!!!   Good on ya for getting through it, even if it was only due to a mid race dog stop and self talk. Focus is so important, and even losing it for only a bit of time will make you pay in the roots. I'm glad you came out of this one relatively unscathed.

That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger. You are stronger than before.

And be sure not to confuse SUX with SBUX!  One is clearly much much better than the other!

2015-04-21 10:54 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Oh dear doG!  FIVE MILES of sugar sand!  You are one tough cookie, doing that!

How's the shoulder?  I know that I am still somewhat protective of my surgery shoulder.  I can only imagine the panicy feeling that you had as you determined that you were OK to continue.  Yikes!

I love your description of chasing the demons away.  So true.

You're a very good writer.  I enjoy reading your race reports.

Thanks!  My shoulder is fine; it was a bit sore for a couple of days, but I think my non-surgery shoulder would have had the same type of soreness had I fallen on it too!!  Yes, there was some "oh sh*t" moments as I was falling and up through realizing all was ok.

Definitely, do no confuse SUX with SBUX!! 

2015-04-21 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow, awesome job in some brutal conditions! Glad you decided to get the gators. Glad your shoulder wasn't re-injured. Glad you got to "enjoy" this race with your brothers.  Congrats on getting yourself together and helping someone else in the mean time.

Kudos!

2015-04-21 12:59 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Sand is hard core! I make it a point to NEVER ask how much longer LOL

Did the sand get all up in your shoes and stuff? Did they recommend gaiters? Would gaiters even help?

Welp, you got a great workout indeed! Perhaps you should be responsible for choosing races from now on

2015-04-21 1:12 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Sand is hard core! I make it a point to NEVER ask how much longer LOL

Did the sand get all up in your shoes and stuff? Did they recommend gaiters? Would gaiters even help?

Welp, you got a great workout indeed! Perhaps you should be responsible for choosing races from now on

I bought gaitors, but being from Florida I spell it gators  the morning of the race when I saw so many others wearing them.  They worked perfectly! Funny you say that about me choosing races from now own; I've had a few running partners say that this race was payback for the races I've picked !   

2015-04-22 1:52 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Great job on a tough race.

I gotta say, I probably would have stopped to pet the dogs too
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Down to Run Endurance Challange Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Run

Started by Big Red
Views: 1500 Posts: 9

2005-12-21 6:16 PM Big Red

Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Run - 50K

Started by grvfrog
Views: 1830 Posts: 5

2005-12-17 7:44 AM Comet

Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Run

Started by JeepFleeb
Views: 2378 Posts: 12

2005-12-15 12:15 PM runnergirl29

Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Run (50K)

Started by shornick
Views: 2190 Posts: 5

2005-12-13 2:03 PM ghart2

Pere Marquette Endurance Trail Run

Started by tholt576
Views: 815 Posts: 1

2004-12-13 11:36 AM tholt576
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.

date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.
date : February 13, 2007
author : BobbyMcgee
Use high and low cadence deep water running to improve your turnover, run-specific muscle endurance and functional running strength.

date : June 24, 2006
author : Team BT
Wrist Curl-Palm Down strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 18, 2006
author : Team BT
The lateral pulldown strength exercise instruction with picture and video

date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Bill
comments : 9
Reflecting on the events in my life that led to my being waste deep in water wearing spandex with a latex cap over my freshly shaved head.

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"On a six-mile tempo run is the warm up and cool down miles"