Run Fit
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 10m 26s
Overall Rank = 356/632
Age Group = f45-49
Age Group Rank = 19/39
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5:30 and had toast with honey and a cup of coffee. Then got dressed and got my stuff together. I'd planned to wear the same singlet and shorts I'm planning to wear for my marathon in a couple weeks. However, the weather had other ideas. I guess that's good in that it made me consider the fact that the weather may not cooperate in two weeks either. I need to bring several clothing options. It is spring time in Colorado, after all. Anyway, I digress.

I wore my new Navy UA tech T and the my long Roga shorts (the shorts were in the original plan). I also dug up a pair of throw away gloves and put on my Hot Chocolate jacket because I wouldn't be too stressed if that one didn't make it to the finish line.

Once DH was ready we headed toward the church where the race, conveniently, was starting and where DH works on cars once a month. We stopped at SBux for a flat white.

When we got to the church I put on my chest strap, watch and bib and headed toward the race start. The lines for the porto's was short so I got in line. I walked/light jogged around the lot to stay warm. Once I spotted Val, Michi and Ryan I hung out with them til race start. A few minutes before the start I put my jacket in my bag and turned it in to bag check.
Event warmup:

some walking/jogging around the lot, mostly to stay warm.
Run
  • 2h 10m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a gun start and it took quite a while to get through the start banner then still was a slow go to get around the people who maybe should have been further back, or I suppose maybe we could have been further up. The course was nice. We had a whole lane blocked off on the major streets but were more limited on streets with only one lane each way. This posed a problem in getting around groups who decided to run 2 or 3 people wide. Not a complaint against the course set up, but more against inconsiderate people.

Michi took off like the speed racer she is and Ryan dropped back quickly, but Val and I started out about the same pace. Eventually she pulled ahead but I kept her in sight for quite a while. She was my tether and I chose some carrots along the way. One in particular stands out. There was a couple and the female was wearing a lime green Tutu. As I got closer I could see that the front of the tutu was coming back between her legs and made for a very interesting look. Sort of a lime green pubic thing. Weird. So I passed them and picked my next carrot.

I was drinking water at the aid stations and took Gatorade at a couple of them. I took gels when I saw the aid stations at about 3, 6 and 9 for practice/testing. At about the 7 mile mark there was a young boy holding a "touch here for power" sign. I told him I was hoping he'd be there with a recharge and touched his sign. That little boy lit up with a smile. So cute.

Somewhere along the way I'd lost Val. I think because I was slowing to drink water from cups and she wasn't. At about 10.5 I spotted her again. I passed her at about 11 and told her to finish strong. I knew she was slowing because my pace was pretty consistent.

Toward the end the sun broke out a few times and made me realize that even if the morning is cool I will probably still want my singlet for Colorado, barring really bad weather.

I rounded the finish and saw the time on the clock. I knew it was close to a PR. Turns out that by the official time it was an 11 second PR. By my watch, which I started when I went under the start banner, it was over a minute pr!
What would you do differently?:

This was a supported training run so I'm pretty happy with it. Just keep running...
Post race
Warm down:

Got my bag and walked around a bit trying to stay warm and waiting for Ryan. Hung out with Deb, who had done the 5k so she wasn't at our start, Val and Michi for a bit. Got a banana but the choc milk was all gone, taken by the 5k 10k and speedy HMers.

Eventually I walked the mile to get to the shuttle bus which took us back to the start. On the bus I sat with a man who'd won his AG. Way cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training, not racing

Event comments:

Run Fit is a great organization. I've done many of their races, including the 5k series I did with DS1 last year. They put on a great race and had the streets blocked where it was needed. There was a great law enforcement presence and I thanked them and the volunteers as much as I could.

Last updated: 2015-03-23 12:00 AM
Running
02:10:26 | 13.1 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/39
Overall: 356/632
Performance: Good
1 10:11 2 9:39 3 9:47 4 9:51 5 9:44 6 10:04 7 9:47 8 9:58 9 9:58 10 10:18 11 9:48 12 9:39 13 9:59 HR: Max 189 ave 126
Course: Flat point to point course wandering through the Rio Grande Valley
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-04-21 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: Albuquerque Half-Marathon

2015-04-21 12:09 PM
in reply to: #5109720

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Albuquerque Half-Marathon

Sounds like a well-executed race, er, supported training day!  You kept a consistent pace, you found carrots, then when they proved to be a little frightening, (lime green tutu pube thing) you found a new carrot.  Collecting 'power' from little kid = bonus, not to mention your lovely PR, yeah!!  Nice job out there!

2015-04-21 12:33 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master

Yahoo!!! Good training race. You're so close to becoming a no deathiness marathoner

2015-04-21 12:52 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

Your splits look really nice!

I think your running shirt choice  is so adorable Also, I love the rogas so much. I have the short and the Mac roga which is even shorter. 

Just curious, when you say supported training run; were you trying to achieve specific splits (like M race pace?) or were you running this as a fitness predictor?

2015-04-21 1:20 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

Long Roga shorts are my favorite!!  I love the visual for the lime green pubic thing! That must have been some carrot!  And, a 1 minute PR is just super duper!  Congratulations on a great race!

2015-04-21 1:49 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Your splits look really nice!

I think your running shirt choice  is so adorable Also, I love the rogas so much. I have the short and the Mac roga which is even shorter. 

Just curious, when you say supported training run; were you trying to achieve specific splits (like M race pace?) or were you running this as a fitness predictor?

I really like the Rogas. The singlet I want to wear is also Oiselle, can't remember the name.  I decided after the HM that I need to figure out multiple clothing options for Colorado.

As for the supported training run, it was just more to try using the hydration from the course. I didn't really try to push my pace or "leave it all out there" as I didn't want to do anything stupid (like get injured) two weeks before my race.

2015-04-22 9:43 AM
in reply to: #5109720

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Great job TJ, it must feel pretty good to know that a supported training run is where you set a HM PR. A real boost to the confidence, I would think!!!

2015-04-22 9:47 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

Great job TJ, it must feel pretty good to know that a supported training run is where you set a HM PR. A real boost to the confidence, I would think!!!

It was... for a few days. And now the demons are in my head telling my I'm slow and I'm injury prone and not capable of 26.2.  Funny, before the race I was joking with Michi that it was "only" 13.1.

2015-04-22 10:25 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

It was... for a few days. And now the demons are in my head telling my I'm slow and I'm injury prone and not capable of 26.2.  Funny, before the race I was joking with Michi that it was "only" 13.1.

Shut Up Head!!!

Keep doing your training, respect the distance and you'll be fine.

2015-04-22 10:47 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by rrrunner

Shut Up Head!!!

Keep doing your training, respect the distance and you'll be fine.

Love it!!!  I've been looking back through my logs. I've run... a lot!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Albuquerque Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Albuquerque Half-Marathon

Started by Pilgrim
Views: 798 Posts: 1

2014-04-20 9:21 AM Pilgrim

Albuquerque Half Marathon

Started by Pilgrim
Views: 1017 Posts: 2

2011-04-21 11:21 PM BigDH

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by dimplespoo
Views: 3057 Posts: 2

2010-12-09 8:51 PM colesdad

Albuquerque Half Marathon

Started by trinity
Views: 1118 Posts: 2

2010-04-19 11:00 AM barelfly

Tulsa Route 66 Marathon and Half (Run - Half Marathon)

Started by DMann1
Views: 2205 Posts: 1

2009-11-24 8:59 AM DMann1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.