General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New 910xt for 150 CAD! Now how do I use it properly? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-24 5:39 PM

User image

Subject: New 910xt for 150 CAD! Now how do I use it properly?
So I was able to snap up a new 910xt for $150. I'm just not sure how to use it to maximize my training and racing. I have heard a lot about training in different zones, so I guess I need to pick up a HRM. Any recommended HRM? Can anyone tell me how I find out what my zones are?

Also I won't get my watch till the night before my next race. Is there a point to using it in the race? I have read the multi-sport mode can take some time to get working right. Maybe I should just set it up for the run (this was the main reason I got it). I think it will help with pacing. If I can see how much of the race is left, I can up my pace if i'm feeling good. That way I can make sure I don't finish with anything left in the tank :-)

Any advice would be great

Cheers
Darcy

2015-04-24 10:06 PM
in reply to: madprops

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: New 910xt for 150 CAD! Now how do I use it properly?
How did you snap up a New 910 for $150?
2015-04-24 10:42 PM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri

They are $239 CDN on Amazon.
2015-04-24 11:36 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Originally posted by b2run

Best Buy Canada had a sale. So it was 149.99 new. Now I answered your questions so how about answering one of mine :P
2015-04-25 6:45 AM

User image

Originally posted by madprops

Originally posted by b2run

Best Buy Canada had a sale. So it was 149.99 new. Now I answered your questions so how about answering one of mine :P

I just got mine also so I'm not going to be much help. I use it for running and biking to set my pace and to time intervals or sprints. I plan to use it when I swim in the lake to set my pace and lap times. I know some people use it during races to set their pace but I'm not good enough to know what my pace is suppose to be so I'm not going to bother wearing it during races. Besides, I'd be worried about it getting caught up in the wetsuit during transition.
I know there is a lot of information about heart rate zones out there but I've never trained by heart rate so, again, I'm not much help.
2015-04-25 9:15 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

They've dropped the price drastically, because now the newer watches have some cooler features. I've had mine for about 1.5 years, and it's already "obsolete." Oh well.

2015-04-25 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

So I was able to snap up a new 910xt for $150. I'm just not sure how to use it to maximize my training and racing. I have heard a lot about training in different zones, so I guess I need to pick up a HRM. Any recommended HRM? Can anyone tell me how I find out what my zones are?

Also I won't get my watch till the night before my next race. Is there a point to using it in the race? I have read the multi-sport mode can take some time to get working right. Maybe I should just set it up for the run (this was the main reason I got it). I think it will help with pacing. If I can see how much of the race is left, I can up my pace if i'm feeling good. That way I can make sure I don't finish with anything left in the tank :-)

Cheers
Darcy

Hi Darcy,

Call Garmin to get the correct model HRM strap for that watch. To get your HR zones I recommend the following run test protocol:

Try to use a track:

After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone.

The 30 minute TT begins.
At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your 910xt to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test.
The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT.
You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had.
15 minutes easy cool down.

Note your average HR and use the BT tool in your user settings to get your zones using the LTHR method.

I find that your bike LTHR can be around 5-10bpm lower than your run LTHR but that differs for everyone. I think this run test protocol will get you pretty close to your running LTHR vs going to a lab and doing a test there.

After getting your zones from the BT calculator, enter that info into your 910xt. Google search the manual and it will help you set it up the way you want to. I recommend 1 data field for swim, bike, and run for race day. That way you can scroll into it right away after get into that segment of the race. The virtual pacer is also a nice feature you can use. You can also play with mulitsport mode before the race to see how it works. Basically it's this:

Start Multi sport mode Mode > Training > Auto Multisport > Start Multisport. Hit Start at the beginning of your race and hit lap through each segment. After you reach the finish, press Lap well after your go through the finish chute then press and hold Lap to save your data.

Good luck!
Roland
2015-04-25 11:04 AM

, Wisconsin
Congrats on the 910 for a great price. Bought mine used and love it. It has taken me a bit of time to really get used to it . . . still learning in fact, For that first race, I personally would just use it for the run and take the pressure off yourself to try to figure it all out so fast . . .
2015-04-25 2:25 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

One way to use it in the race without worry is to just put it in "run" mode (not multisport) and hit the lap button each time. You'll get the data, and can switch the sports later if you break up the file manually.

Multisport isn't too bad but it helps to have done a dry run first. You can "fake" it and get a feeling for how you have to set and press the laps in the race.
2015-04-25 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sweet deal!!

I just paid $100 for a used garmin swim. I wouldn't have minded paying $50 more for the 910xt. Still using my old 310xt!

I experimented with multisport mode just the other day, and it doesn't take that much to get used to on the 310xt. Play with it a little in your living room the night before and you'll be just fine on race day!

I did the same thing, then took it on a dry run just walking outside ( with the 310xt ) just walking, just to make sure I knew how to do everything, that it tracked transitions properly etc.

Most of the benefits of the 910xt will come from training with it, then knowing exactly what you want to hit in a race or hard workout. For the swim, it'll just be data after the fact, and knowing how long the swim actually took, but otherwise the heart rate, pace etc. is much more useful after you've trained with it a lot.

Did it come with a heart rate strap? If not, get one!
2015-04-25 2:33 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm still kicking myself over a new fenix 2 that was listed for $250 earlier this year but got bought up before I got to it.

2015-04-25 11:04 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Originally posted by kloofyroland

Cheers
Darcy

Hi Darcy,

Call Garmin to get the correct model HRM strap for that watch. To get your HR zones I recommend the following run test protocol:

Try to use a track:

After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone.

The 30 minute TT begins.
At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your 910xt to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test.
The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT.
You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had.
15 minutes easy cool down.

Note your average HR and use the BT tool in your user settings to get your zones using the LTHR method.

I find that your bike LTHR can be around 5-10bpm lower than your run LTHR but that differs for everyone. I think this run test protocol will get you pretty close to your running LTHR vs going to a lab and doing a test there.

After getting your zones from the BT calculator, enter that info into your 910xt. Google search the manual and it will help you set it up the way you want to. I recommend 1 data field for swim, bike, and run for race day. That way you can scroll into it right away after get into that segment of the race. The virtual pacer is also a nice feature you can use. You can also play with mulitsport mode before the race to see how it works. Basically it's this:

Start Multi sport mode Mode > Training > Auto Multisport > Start Multisport. Hit Start at the beginning of your race and hit lap through each segment. After you reach the finish, press Lap well after your go through the finish chute then press and hold Lap to save your data.

Good luck!
Roland

Thanks for the info!

I am going to play with it as much as I can the night before he race. There is not going to be much else to do in the hotel room anyway. I am trying to cut major time in this tri so knowing my over all time should help with pacing a lot!
2015-04-26 1:36 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I don't have the 910 but I do most of my bike and some of my run training with heart rate. (I use the Garmin 210 with the heart rate monitor, and usually turn the speed/ distance function off (on the bike, I have a computer; on the run, I really don't want to know!) I find it's most useful for tempo work and longer intervals. It can be a bit inaccurate for shorter efforts (less than 2 minutes for me) since there is a lag between when you pick up the pace and when HR shows that increase in effort. Jorge's bike plan on this site has a HR version and I've done the weekly long rides from that program as prep for a HIM. The place where I do my outdoor rides is often very windy and HR allows me to keep effort steady at the desired level. I can't use speed because it would vary a lot depending on direction, and I don't have a power meter. Now I just try to stay in the target zone and don't stress about the speed.

I also do tempo runs with the HRM. It really helps as I have a tendency to start too hard and then die later in the workout, an issue made worse by the insidious heat/humidity. Since HR is a good proxy not only for effort but for core temperature, using HR has allowed me to finish workouts that I probably othewise wouldn't be able to by learning to control effort at the beginning. I don't use it for easy runs. I've been running for 35 years and don't have any problem knowing what an easy run feels like. It's more an issue of "how hard is hard"?

I haven't raced with the HRM as I don't want to swim with it or have anyhing else to deal with in transition, but would consider it for a longer run- only race (where I have similar issues with pacing, especially in the heat) or maybe a duathlon. The 910 is usable on the swim so I might wear it for the entire race if I had one, but mainly use it to pace effort on the bike and run, particularly for a longer race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New 910xt for 150 CAD! Now how do I use it properly? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin 910XT - Just used for the 1st time

Started by JKLipsky
Views: 1248 Posts: 6

2012-08-07 12:25 AM yazmaster

Using an erg properly.

Started by Johners
Views: 2892 Posts: 8

2009-09-15 2:47 PM bel83

Polar Strap for S625x, can it be used w/ Polar CS 200 CAD

Started by nel34
Views: 873 Posts: 8