General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ten weeks until my first HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-26 7:49 AM

User image

Subject: Ten weeks until my first HIM
Are there any last minute training tips that I should know? I have been doing sprints and oly's for two years, so this year, I decided to step it up. I have spent the winter working hard on the swim (my worst leg) and finally have 1800m down to under 45 min consistently. I run 25-30 miles a week, swim 6000-7500m a week, and bike about 50 mi a week. I also strength train 2x/week. The bike is by far my strongest leg, so I haven't been focusing on that. I have been base building the other sports, and am now ramping up the bike (historically I haven't had any problems with 80-100 mi rides).

My longest bricks in the last two months have been 12 mi run/2500m swim, and a 32 mi bike/10 mi run. I was tired at the end of both, but not wiped out. I think that if the race were held tomorrow, I could finish, but I might have a hard time hitting my goal of under 6.5 hours.

I have also been working on figuring out what I can eat that doesn't mess with my stomach on the run. I tend to get sick very easily while running if there is anything in my stomach, so I have been trying to train my body to handle small amounts of food before and during runs.

So, with that in mind, is there anything I am missing? Like I said, I am going to ramp up the bike workouts. The weather is warming up, so I can start getting some OWS in before then. I need a couple more bricks. Anything else?

2015-04-27 2:15 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Ten weeks until my first HIM
the first thing that comes to mind when I read your post, is I am Tired.

Personally it sounds like you are over training. I mean it sounds like you are doing great, but maybe too much.

Do you have a training plan for the "A" race ?

I don't want this sound wrong, but you might need to build in some rest periods so you don't get burnt out or injured.

10 weeks is still a lot of time till race day, being the level of training you are doing.

I don't know the goals you have, but to me that's what it seems...
2015-04-27 7:15 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

I am not following a training plan. I have a 30k trail race and a century before then, so I figure that training for those would cover most of of the triathlon. I got a bit carried away registering for things in the doldrums of winter.

I have found that I get tired and just don't feel like training about every 4 weeks, so I just listen to my body and make that a cutback week. Then I feel good again and start ramping things up, creating a natural periodization. I realize that it isn't the most sophisticated approach, but it is what I am going with.

My fitness seems to be good. I took 3/107 in a sprint this weekend (woohoo!). But I am concerned that I am missing something for a longer race. When I signed up for this race last fall, my goal was to just finish, but based on the way my training has gone, that was adjusted to 7 hours, and now I am shooting for 6.5 hours.
2015-04-27 7:54 AM

User image

Exton, PA
To me it sounds like your confidence in the bike might be a weakness. I usually get 2 or 3 rides in of about 75-80 miles before a HIM. Getting the long rides in and eating on the bike is important.

Other than that it sounds like your training is going well. Make sure you trust the taper in the last couple weeks, you go a little crazy that last week doing so little(comparatively) but it is important.

2015-04-27 7:55 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

All I can think from your two posts are that the missing piece might be nutrition for the longer distance.

The 30k trail race is a run or a ride?

Do you have the same sickness issues when riding?

The 30k run (if it is a run) is going to be 2.5 to 3 hours of effort? The century probably more then 3 hours. What is your nutrition plan if you cant eat while running or riding?

Your fitness sounds good (to finish) and also possibly to finish well in your AG. But going 6 hours on fluids might be tough.

2015-04-27 8:58 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Originally posted by badmo77a

All I can think from your two posts are that the missing piece might be nutrition for the longer distance.

The 30k trail race is a run or a ride?

Do you have the same sickness issues when riding?

The 30k run (if it is a run) is going to be 2.5 to 3 hours of effort? The century probably more then 3 hours. What is your nutrition plan if you cant eat while running or riding?

Your fitness sounds good (to finish) and also possibly to finish well in your AG. But going 6 hours on fluids might be tough.

The trail race is a run. I have done a few half marathons before, but this will be my first race of this distance. It is at high altitude, and the terrain will be rough, so if I break 3.5 hours, I will be thrilled.

The century, although not my first, will be an event where I am just happy to finish. It has 12,000' of climbing, so as long as I make the time cutoffs, that is my goal. That is also why I am ramping up the bike now. I have been just doing one ride a week, but I really need to get that up to 2 or 3, even if they are short. Typically in the summer, I ride about 100-150 mi/week, but I don't think I will be there before the century because of training for the trail race.

I have no problem eating on the bike or even right before a swim, so I am hoping to front load my nutrition, but it takes a long time for my stomach to clear out, so I don't want to eat too much on the bike, or I will have problems. I think the nutrition to get through that long stretch will be my biggest concern. I have been experimenting with nibbling on homemade energy bars (oats, dried fruit, salted nuts) and that has been going well, allowing me to get about 200 cal/hour and still run.

I just feel like there has to be something that I am missing (I do tend to get nervous before any new type of race, and preparing helps me relax).

2015-04-27 10:46 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
To me, it sounds like your fitness is fine and the only thing missing might be some longer rides/bricks to work out exactly what you can eat on the ride and how that will affect your run, A century would be a good time to try out nutrition and hydration. I'd also try at least a few rides of race distance or a bit longer (maybe up to 70-75 miles) followed by a short run ( but long enough, say 30 minutes, to see if what you ate on the bike will cause problems on the run). I've done a HIM and a couple of "international distance" races that are just under four hours with only one gu on the run for the HIM and one of the shorter races, and none for the other, and it didn't seem to really affect my performance. But I would make sure that you are well-fueled on the bike, and whatever you eat in the last hour on the bike will not make you sick on the run. That's really something you have to work out in training. Everyone's different--I've been experimenting this spring as I have serious nausea issues with gu sometimes, and dark chocolate on the bike (got the idea from Chrissy Wellington's book) seems to work for me, although I've gotten plenty of advice that it should make me sick on the run--it doesn't. YMMV
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ten weeks until my first HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

7 weeks until first sprint tri

Started by Longhorn1981
Views: 1483 Posts: 12

2013-03-12 10:52 AM roamingseaside

Desperately Need A Ten Week Training Schedule For First Half Iron

Started by niceguy542006
Views: 1188 Posts: 8

2013-02-14 7:22 AM niceguy542006

Help!!! 2 Weeks until First Tri

Started by slowfatbeginner
Views: 641 Posts: 6

2011-08-29 4:04 AM jaja63

6 Weeks until First Sprint , Help!

Started by ultrahip_00
Views: 783 Posts: 5

2007-06-20 4:58 PM Kidblue

Feeling sick and only 2 weeks left until my first tri

Started by scottsgrl
Views: 843 Posts: 4

2006-07-31 8:56 AM katiefrog15
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : July 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
I'm tapering this week for my first sprint triathlon. I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calorie intake for the decreased workout load? How do I make sure I am properly fueled for the race?
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 20, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I have my first tri coming up and I want to know how much I should train on race week and when do I stop completely?
date : June 13, 2005
author : FishrCutB8
comments : 6
A little bit of everything from training, your equipment list, laying out a transition area and other pre-race preparations.