General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is the sport of triathlon in decline in North Carolina/Charlotte area? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-26 2:25 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Is the sport of triathlon in decline in North Carolina/Charlotte area?
Ran the Huntersville Sprint this am in the cold and damp. The total number of participants in the actual race was 237 with the registered number being about 260 - and I think 6 relays.

This race used to sell out in minutes. the last two years the race has been at roughly at half capacity. I know this is part of the Setup and JRC split but in general most of my races last year (sprints and olympics in state) were down from the year previous with maybe Latta having a flat number year to year. I guy who I race against with over the year discussed this me today. We agreed the younger generation (feeling old at 47) is ore into experiences (Color Run, Spartan races as a groups), that triathlons seem to be outside the purview. I know last year the numbers for the time trial at CMS seemed down too.

Any thoughts? still love the sport just feels like its general popularity is down

2015-04-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: ckb_nc

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Is the sport of triathlon in decline in North Carolina/Charlotte area?
I've wondered the same thing but I doubt the numbers have declined. I think since "the old days" (5+ years ago), things have changed quite a bit. Setup Events used to be the big player in the state and their popular races sold out fast. FS Series now has about the same number of races as Setup and I think that has the biggest impact on how fast some races sell out...there is no longer a sense that if you miss out of that one olympic distance race, you're done for the season. In addition, there are newer large races like Raleigh 70.3 that suck up a lot of cash and training time/focus that might have spilled over into other smaller races (would people do 2 or 3 small races instead of the Raleigh 70.3, for instance?). Just my 2c.
2015-04-28 12:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Is the sport of triathlon in decline in North Carolina/Charlotte area?
Coming from a 19 year old kid who has only completed one triathlon, I perceive triathlons as a sport that people usually get into when they're 25+ years old. I don't feel like triathlons are declining in popularity in this area but I could be totally wrong.
Edit: I suppose triathlons are more popular among adults because they're more concerned with their health / weight.

Edited by grahamrh 2015-04-28 12:29 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is the sport of triathlon in decline in North Carolina/Charlotte area? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Inside-Out Sports North Carolina Triathlon Series

Started by Ubear97
Views: 1502 Posts: 11

2011-11-07 8:53 AM DMarkSwan

Charlotte-area Sports Medicine Doc

Started by Goosedog
Views: 1207 Posts: 8

2011-11-15 7:59 AM Patrick E

North Carolina USA Triathlon Special License Plate

Started by climbertjh
Views: 1951 Posts: 4

2011-09-16 8:15 AM DMarkSwan

Triple-T North Carolina - AM : Official Thread

Started by Superk75
Views: 3851 Posts: 25

2010-10-11 6:02 PM tricrazy

Sports Massage Therapist - Charlotte Area

Started by gtkelly
Views: 1406 Posts: 3

2009-04-22 9:54 AM bgraboski
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Decline Bench Press - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Sit-Up-Decline Bench Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.