Mercedes-Benz Oakville 10k
8C / 46F
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 3s
Overall Rank = 141/1062
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 17/159
Pre-race routine:

Nothing much - picked up my running buddy and we drove to Oakville on amazingly quiet roads. We parked at our place in the school a few blocks away and got ready to run.

Neither of us trained specifically for this race - it was my 5th time, her 7th (she's done every year) - we hit the porta potties first (no line, score!), lined up for race kits (about 10 mins) and then warmed up (and then shivered a bit)
Event warmup:

A lap around the soccer field to warm up then into the corral.
Run
  • 50m 3s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Well, i signed up for this about two weeks ago. I am training for a HIM so this would be a good place to update my HR zones. I planned to go out hard and see where my fitness was. I did want to break 50 minutes again and set out that way.

There is one real hill and then some inclines and declines that make it feel hard but other than that i was doing well at pacing. We merged with the 5k about 7k and that made it difficult as we caught up to the slower folks in that race and there isn't much room with about a half a lane of the road.

I did okay maintaining, okay, slowing some, and i could see we were in sight of the finish with about 1k to go and it was slightly uphill. I huffed it in and my stomach clenched. I heard my 50 minute alarm go just before crossing the finish. I thought 'maybe' i made it but it wasn't quite.

I did almost ralph at the end but managed to hold it in (insert embarrassed face here)
What would you do differently?:

More warm up and a harder first k. And seed a bit further up - my first km was the slowest but i also had to dodge quite a few people.
Post race
Warm down:

Being an earlier finisher there wasn't much wait for a massage so i signed up - just in case my IT was tighter than I realized.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of specific pace training for this race.

Event comments:

Really well-put together race. We've been back every year (i didn't race two years but my hubby did). Amazing post-race raffle of a car lease, wonderful kids area, fun mascot race.

We'll definitely be back!

Last updated: 2015-03-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:03 | 10 kms | 05m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 17/159
Overall: 159/1062
Performance: Good
Course: A loop that is a long rectangle based out of Appleby College in Oakville
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-04-26 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: Mercedes-Benz Oakville 10k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mercedes-Benz Oakville 10k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Started by JTTRIHRD
Views: 760 Posts: 1

2013-05-28 6:37 PM JTTRIHRD

Started by juniperjen
Views: 1354 Posts: 1

2010-12-29 1:35 PM juniperjen

Started by mgalanter
Views: 1232 Posts: 1

2010-05-25 10:41 AM mgalanter

Started by RVachon
Views: 1274 Posts: 1

2010-04-25 12:02 PM RVachon

Started by juniperjen
Views: 1472 Posts: 2

2009-04-28 6:34 PM eurydice79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 16, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Watch Christina Robeson, Chris Bagg, Janda Ricci-Munn and Lisbeth Kenyon battle it out at the 2008 Multisport World Expo in this 10K indoor time trial.

date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 0
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.