RaceMaker
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 8s
Overall Rank = 108/124
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/11
Pre-race routine:

Drove two hours to get there. Finally arrived about 1:30 before the long course race started. Stood in several long lines chatting with folks. Got marked, forgot my age.
Event warmup:

None. Pool opened 10 min before the long course started, but there was really no way to do any sort of warm up for the short course folks. Could have been outside, but the only open entrance to the pool was the exit for the racers. It was about 85F in the pool area though. I was sweating just sitting in there.
Swim
  • 03m 19s
  • 150 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

swim went really well and I hit my goal time. I even passed someone in front of me, which I think made her freak out, given that she stopped swimming when I did it. Managed to angle the swim down the lane so I was always in the right place to turn most efficiently.
What would you do differently?:

Probably would have worked on flip turns and tried them in the deep end under the lane lines
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

no time, chip didn't record my split.

T1 was good, even if it included a long run over gravely pavement (is a gentle sweep too much to ask of these people?!?!?!)

Nothing--everything went smoothly, even putting on my socks.
Bike
  • 54m 46s
  • 10 miles
  • 10.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Horrible, terrible ride. After getting off SIUE campus, there were a few hills going over bridges and such. Then, it was flat out, but there was a headwind that was brutal. On the way back, the tailwind was helpful, but the last two miles were all up hill. I had to stop three times in the last mile just to catch my breath. I was dying. I either need to learn to shift better or I need to improve my engine (or, or I could lose weight too!).

Not sign up for a race a week after coming back from Egypt where I haven't been on a bike for over a month--that could help.
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

So tired after the bike. Had to walk bike all the way through transition. Got back to find that someone else's bike (someone who hadn't racked their bike, but simply set it against the fence) had fallen over in my transition area. Had to move their bike and stuff out of the way so I could get to my space. Shoes and helmet off, new socks and shoes on quickly (yes, I changed socks again--I can't stand wet socks!). Needed the whole two minutes to really catch my breath.

run my bike to the rack
Run
  • 28m 37s
  • 2 miles
  • 14m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Slower than I really wanted, but near my goal time. I had to stop twice to stretch out my calves. Had some difficulty with cramping, but likely due to not having enough to drink.

not much
Post race
Warm down:

had some soda, water, and cookies.

Didn't really do much except stretch a little

What limited your ability to perform faster:

skill, conditioning, limited training

Event comments:

Race was pretty poorly run. The packet pickup didn't have packets, instead you got handed everything individually. It took forever and also it left you with armfuls of stuff. You had to wait in two different lines to get your "packet" and then timing chip. Neither line was marked, so lots of people were in the timing chip line before they knew which chip to pick up.

The race started late (10 minutes, but still). There was no pre race meeting as had been announced. The organization was poor. Trying to get into the line to enter the pool was based on time, but there was no one organizing it, so they had signs for each 30sec, but within those 30 second segments it was a free for all.

Post-race, there was hardly anything. There were some bags of chips and cookies, soda, and water. No real food, no fruit, no gatorade (and I wasn't anywhere close to last, so they didn't run out, it just wasn't there!). The awards ceremony was lack luster. Their camera broke and they didn't have a back up, so there are no photos available from the race.

Overall, while I enjoyed doing the race, the poor organization will probably prevent me from signing up for this one again.

Last updated: 2015-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:19 | 150 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 0/124
Performance: Good
Suit: tri
Course: serpentine pool swim of six lengths
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:46 | 10 miles | 10.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/11
Performance: Bad
Wind: Headwind
Course: course was an out and back on open roads controlled by volunteers and police
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:37 | 02 miles | 14m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/11
Course: rolling hills, with a freaking uphill finish! Hard course, seemed to have lots of uphills both ways
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2015-04-27 6:49 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: Try Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Try Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Try Tri

Started by CycloneVM
Views: 950 Posts: 1

2014-04-28 2:01 PM CycloneVM

Try Tri

Started by Frank in St. Louis
Views: 834 Posts: 1

2014-04-28 1:28 PM Frank in St. Louis

Try Tri

Started by Frank in St. Louis
Views: 832 Posts: 1

2013-04-29 4:16 PM Frank in St. Louis

Grantown Try Tri

Started by adbru
Views: 1063 Posts: 1

2010-09-06 12:49 AM adbru

Any one can Try Tri

Started by Jachlopecki
Views: 803 Posts: 1

2008-05-04 4:45 PM Jachlopecki
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
My right knee has a pain in the front, just below the kneecap. I walked 24 miles of IM Louisville. No pain while walking but it started immediately when trying to run.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.
date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.

date : September 14, 2004
author : DoubleDown
Can anyone think of a better way to spend Labour Day weekend than doing your first tri? Ok, maybe doing your 2nd, 3rd...50th tri...but you get my point. :)