General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Marble Falls - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Marble Falls - Half Iron Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marble Falls, Texas
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 21m 48s
Overall Rank = 83/89
Age Group = 60-64
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00 am. Ate two strawberry uncrustables and a cup of coffee with creamer. Mixed nutrition, 7 hours worth, 2 scoops of Glycodurance and 2 scoops of Mango Battery. Drove to race. Dropped bike off at T1. Went to T2 and dropped run stuff off. Had to wait for shuttle bus which just got us back to T1 in time to put on wetsuit and go to the water.
Event warmup:

Hop off shuttle bus. Grab wetsuit, cap and goggles from T1 and light jog down to water.
Swim
  • 45m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Mass start swim of 170 athletes both IM and HIM. This is the most people I've ever been swimming with at once. Managed to not get kicked and not kick anyone else. Wore Garmin to inside of wrist (nothing new on race day) and bumped it during the swim which shut it off. So no data. I drafted several times and I never really stopped swimming to sight or rest like I've done in the past. I was very surprised when I saw the swim finish coming up because it really didn't seem like a long enough time.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more, it's working.
Transition 1
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

Took more time here than I wanted, but no wetsuit strippers.

Speed up my transition.
Bike
  • 4h 44m 18s
  • 56 miles
  • 11.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really enjoying this race. About mile 35 I felt a little twinge just above the front of my left knee. I sort of ignored it and it sort of went away. Nutrition was 2 scoops Battery and 2 scoops Glycodurance every hour for the 5 hours. Each had 280 calories, 590 sodium and 240 potassium. Total calories consumed 1400. Had a flat about mile 48 and another one at about mile 50. Rode the second one in. Also dropped the chain to the inside and later found out that a wire had come off the rear derailleur.

Another ride gave me her CO2 setup so I didn't have to use my pump. But it didn't have enough air in it. The SAG wagon came by and pumped it up with a floor pump, but he said I needed a valve extender. After I fixed the chain, a guy came by and had hand cleaner and a rag. The ride was full of angels!

Carry valve extenders, an a CO2 cartridge. Flat tires are very unusual for me, so hopefully I won't have this issue again for a few years.
Transition 2
  • 05m 49s
Comments:

After my experience on the bike, I needed longer to regroup. I was concerned about the cutoff time, but the guy working transition told me I didn't need to worry about it.

Speed up my transitions.
Run
  • 2h 42m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I had intended to do a 3 min run/1 min walk Galloway program before I had bike issues. When I started running, I felt great, so I ran for about 15 minutes. I was drinking my same Battery/Glycodurance mix that I use on the bike. About then, I suddenly felt like someone was stabbing my intestines. It wouldn't come out either end, but I was certainly miserable. I wasn't sure what to do, but I was pretty sure I didn't need to keep drinking my mix. I stopped at the aid stations and drank water and ate oranges, potato chips and pretzels and eventually some flat coke. I finally was able to burp and started back to walk run again. By this time it was pretty hot. I did ice down the tri top and sponges on the shoulders and used my cooling towel. I appeared to be one of the few people even running on the course. Most were walking. I had no leg cramping at all, which is a positive sign.

I think I may need to take in more calories on the bike and then only water and electrolytes on the run. Still trying to figure it all out.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and drank water. Had a donut and some chips.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Intestinal issues, and possibly the Texas heat.

Event comments:

I loved this race. It was my first experience with HITS and I would definitely do another of their races. It's very low key and low pressure.

The only two recommendations that I would make is to somehow find a run course that has some shade and to have more aid stations on the run.

Last updated: 2015-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:30 | 2112 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 74/89
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Rectangular 750m x 250 m
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
04:44:18 | 56 miles | 11.82 mile/hr
Overall: 83/89
Performance: Below average
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/756850801
Wind: Little
Course: Couple of out and backs. Hilly and hot, but doable. 3200 ft climbing. Some chipseal.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 59
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:49
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:42:28 | 13.1 miles | 12m 24s  min/mile
Overall: 70/89
Performance: Bad
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/756850812
Course: Double out and back on highway with not one bit of shade in 93 degree weather. My Garmin had the course a little short.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-04-27 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Marble Falls - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Marble Falls - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HITS Triathlon Series: Marble Falls - Half Iron Course

Started by strykergt
Views: 1889 Posts: 7

2014-04-29 12:22 AM Baowolf

Started by asteryx
Views: 1046 Posts: 2

2013-05-07 6:34 PM asteryx

Started by txjp
Views: 1116 Posts: 2

2013-04-30 9:08 AM djastroman

Started by chichitao
Views: 2383 Posts: 3

2012-05-01 1:22 PM djastroman

HITS Triathlon Series: Marble Falls - Olympic Course

Started by runnerg1rl7
Views: 1445 Posts: 4

2012-04-30 10:36 AM djastroman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT talks one-on-one with HITS race director, Mark Wilson

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.