General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help!! New triathlete!! Green as they come! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-27 8:06 PM

Subject: Help!! New triathlete!! Green as they come!
Hello,

My name is Chris and I have recently (within the last month) decided I wanted to do a triathlon; and holy smokes can getting into triathloning be overwhelming.

A little about myself, I am 30 years old, been married for almost 7 years, have a 10 month old daughter and am a physical education teacher for early elementary. Finding time to train is tough but I feel very good when I do train and see improvement on each session. I live in Michigan so unfortunately for me I can only train in cycling and running for now, once the weather turns for the better that is when I will begin to really focus on swimming. My confidence from greatest to worst starts with cycling and ends with swimming. So any tips for swimming would be great. I have my eyes set on a sprint triathlon in either late July or early August and the swimming and transitions are what get me most nervous.

Oh and the gear, where to start I'll keep it short what do I need and what should I want/get?

And any tips for a beginner that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

2015-04-27 8:46 PM
in reply to: Cmhughes1985

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Subject: RE: Help!! New triathlete!! Green as they come!
Welcome to Triathlon. You'll be hooked in not time! In terms of swimming, just try to get to the pool 3-4 times a week when the weather warms up. If you can get to where you can swim for 20-25 minutes, you should be fine. Even better is if you can find a couple of OWS (Open Water Swims) to do before the race. There are many good videos on you tube to see how the transitions work.

I would recommend:
Tri shorts (like bike shorts but with a thinner pad). You can swim, bike and run in them.
A good beginner's book on triathlon (you can get a lot off of the web, but I enjoyed having a book to refer to).

Assuming you have a bike, goggles, running shoes, etc. you can get by with very little for your first triathlon. When you get addicted to triathlon, you can spend the next several years getting all of the gear.

I was a bit older than you when I started (running background), but I've had a blast doing triathlons the last 6 years.

Good luck and have fun!

2015-04-27 10:11 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Well since you're a phys ed teacher, save some time by making your kids swim/bike/run with you

2015-04-27 11:39 PM
in reply to: #5111278

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Welcome from a fellow Michigander (in Iowa now for school)! I Just wanted to add one bit: I would recommend looking into a bike trainer, as michigan weather can be quite varied, even day-to-day (my folks had snow last week in the tri-cities area!). With inclement weather, it's nice to know at least I can get in a spin in the comfort of my own place. You've picked a decent goal race timeframe and should be in a good position to tackle your first triathlon. Enjoy the training and good luck!
2015-04-28 12:10 AM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Unless you have a swim background, I recommend getting some swimming lessons/coaching ASAP. You might think you already know how to swim...but chances are you've got some technique issues that need correcting (most of us do).

With running and biking you can just start training immediately and learn as you go and if you put in the miles, eventually you WILL get better.

But it's not exactly the same with swimming, all the early practicing you do with bad habits just serves to reinforce those bad habits making them that much harder to finally break. Other than increasing your comfort level; your earliest unstructured swim workouts won't do a ton for your goals until somebody has watched your stroke and given you some tips.

I speak from experience on this; 2 years later I'm still breaking some bad habits I picked up along the way. If you stick with this sport for any length of time you'll end up getting some swim coaching at some point anyways...may as well be now when you need it the most!

I'm not trying to make swimming sound daunting or overwhelming; it's really rewarding and I finally do like it but I wish I could go back in time and erase all those frustrating hours I spent in the pool supposedly "training". I thought I was doing the right thing at the time. Hind sight and all.
2015-04-28 6:48 AM

User image

Does the school / school district you teach for have a pool and swim team?   If so I would seek out the coach.  

2015-04-28 6:59 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Find a local Tri in May or June and go volunteer or just watch. You will learn a lot about transition and see what people do/use while your there. Most people in tri are very friendly so strike up a conversation with some of them after the race. Nothing like seeing things first hand.
2015-04-28 8:27 AM
in reply to: #5111312

Where in Michigan? Both GR and Detroit metro areas have good tri groups and resources. The Bike and Tri Shop in Livonia is good for gear and Island Lake Rec Area near Brighton is awesome for open water swimming.

Welcome to an awesome sport!
2015-04-28 10:43 AM
in reply to: Spartypants

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Welcome to the sport.

Take a deep breath and relax. You will be fine.

For a sprint, you don't need to spend a lot of money on gear.

Borrow or fine a cheap road bike. Race in swim suit and T-shirt.

Get to the race early. Ask questions if you don't know something. I had a guy next to me in a race this year that was doing his first race. I took the time to help him and even gave him a race belt for his bib. Most triathletes will be glad to help you.

There are some good swim videos on Youtube.

Five years ago I did my first sprint.
Purchased a $200 road bike. Learned to swim properly (exhaling with face in water instead of holding my head above water) about two weeks before the race. I asked questions on transitions from other Triathletes. I finished and was hooked.

Been racing for five years. Now own a carbon Trek bike, Completed every level of race from Sprint to Ironman. I was once in the same position as you and it worked out great.
2015-04-28 12:12 PM
in reply to: #5111359

Thanks for the tips everybody, unfortunately my school does not have a pool I can use. I'm good with a road bike because I used to race on the road and track a long, long time ago. So one of my questions are tri suit or tri shorts with top combo? Keeping in mind I have worn a one piece cycling suit but again a long long time ago. Also how do j get connected with metro Detroit tri groups?
2015-04-28 12:21 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

What GODAWGS said!

As a novice...here's my tips.
-Read some websites on transition and race etiquette.
-Read the rules of the race you want to do, or if it's USAT....read their rules.

Not because you NEED to know them. They're all very common sense. The only one that's a gotcha for people now and again is....yah....leave the iPod at home....you can't wear headphones.

Read the rules and websites with people talking about race/transition etiquette because it will eliminate any kind of anxiety about that element of the thing. If you know how to rack your bike and common courtesies and stuff, it's one less thing you'll worry about. And it doesn't take any gym time, or fitness ability or anything. And not that anybody is grouchy when you don't follow the rules. 99.999999% of folks involved are really cool and will either just not let it bother them or they'll kindly offer input. Sure, you might see folks talking about someone in transition who spread their stuff all over and moved other people's stuff.....and they might seem kind of mad (justifiably so), know that you're not that kind of person and even if you don't know all the ins and outs, you're respectful and that won't even be a problem.

For me, it was helpful to alleviate all the unknowns that didn't have to do with my own personal fitness unknowns. My biggest concern was porta potties. When I started this, I was still on water pills for HBP. Combine that with being 40+ and I could pee on command...any day...any time...even if I'd been in the Sahara without water for 3 days.

Also @ChemNerd23 "GO HAWKS!!!!!"
Play a round of pinball for me at The Deadwood.

2015-04-28 1:48 PM
in reply to: #5111455

http://swimfasttrifast.com
http://www.infinitemultisport.com/#2838

^^these are two of the big ones. FAST is on the southwest side and Infinite is more northeast, both very good resources and have group workouts (including swimming). Also check out the Michigan forum here on BT.
2015-05-04 6:52 PM
in reply to: #5111504

Thanks everybody!!! Good stuff!! So another question or two. One watches? I want one and I don't want spend a ton of money! Suggestions? in a sprint triathlon do you think I will need to bring my own food for during the race or will the race provide?
2015-05-04 7:31 PM

Norfolk, Virginia
One watch. I have a TomTom Multisport (non Cardio) which was pretty affordable.

You shouldn't need food during a sprint race. I've only done one race (a sprint) but it will be over before you know it. You won't have time to eat!
2015-05-04 10:35 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by Cmhughes1985

Thanks everybody!!! Good stuff!! So another question or two. One watches? I want one and I don't want spend a ton of money! Suggestions? in a sprint triathlon do you think I will need to bring my own food for during the race or will the race provide?

agree with above poster. no food necessary for a sprint. And, I'd stick with a light breakfast too. I usually have 1 bottle of Gatorade and 1 bottle of water on my bike. it's way more than I need but I guess I feel secure with it. I usually only drink 12-18oz of the Gatorade on the bike ride. I'll rinse my mouth at the first aid station (usually mile 1) but not swallow the water. and I'll drink about 2-3 oz water at the 2nd aid station (usually mile 2, or the same aid station if it's a loop).

My races are done in Oregon...so desert climates will obviously require more water than I've stated. but calorie needs are really minimal for a sprint.
2015-05-05 7:18 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Cmhughes1985

Depends on your price point. one tri watch will do everything you want.

Garmin 310 should be under $200
Suunto Ambit 2S Is just over $200

There are lots of watches on the market but these two are probably the best at the $200 price point. If you want to know everything there is to know about every watch out there go to DCrainmaker's web site, he does a detailed report on all of them. prices he list may be old as they drop over the years.

2015-05-09 11:21 PM

Hi, I am a 34 year old mother of two. I am signing up for my first sprint tri in September in NW Iowa. I am a former athlete but have not exercised in over 6 months unless you count chasing my kids around (2 and 6). I will be starting some lap swimming next week and want to ask around to find a 'coach' to help me out. I might do a couch to 5k program for the run and then just throw in a few bike rides during the week. I am most comfortable with the run, then bike, then swim. I have a walmart mountain bike that I have done limited bike trail riding with (grew up riding gravel roads). I do have a suit, goggles, swim cap for the swim and a good pair of shoes for the run.

I have no idea about how much people change clothes, shoes, socks in transitions and what to wear in a tri? Is there one thing I can wear through the whole thing? Can I wear a swimming suit and then throw a t shirt and shorts over it before I jump on my bike. What works best? I do not want to get too fancy (or spend a lot) on what I wear but if something makes a big difference comfort wise then I would be interested. There are not any sprint tris close to watch so I will take the suggestion of checking out you tube to see some transitions. Thanks in advance ??
2015-05-11 10:38 AM
in reply to: ascheitler

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by ascheitler

Hi, I am a 34 year old mother of two. I am signing up for my first sprint tri in September in NW Iowa. I am a former athlete but have not exercised in over 6 months unless you count chasing my kids around (2 and 6). I will be starting some lap swimming next week and want to ask around to find a 'coach' to help me out. I might do a couch to 5k program for the run and then just throw in a few bike rides during the week. I am most comfortable with the run, then bike, then swim. I have a walmart mountain bike that I have done limited bike trail riding with (grew up riding gravel roads). I do have a suit, goggles, swim cap for the swim and a good pair of shoes for the run.

I have no idea about how much people change clothes, shoes, socks in transitions and what to wear in a tri? Is there one thing I can wear through the whole thing? Can I wear a swimming suit and then throw a t shirt and shorts over it before I jump on my bike. What works best? I do not want to get too fancy (or spend a lot) on what I wear but if something makes a big difference comfort wise then I would be interested. There are not any sprint tris close to watch so I will take the suggestion of checking out you tube to see some transitions. Thanks in advance ??

I think for your sprint you can buy minimal gear and basically go with the training plan you've described but "beefed" up a bit.

You could wear a swimsuit the whole time if you want. I would probably at least throw on some cycling shorts after the swim; but I've seen people do the whole thing in a 1 piece swimsuit before. The big question would be your "chest comfort" during running. I am small chested so I don't have problems.

As for training, the running portion doing a couch to 5k program should be ok. You'll really want to focus on the swimming as much as possible if you already know you're not comfortable with it. I would highly recommend getting a coach for a few sessions. You'll want to do a minimum of 2-3 swims per week to build your skills, endurance and confidence.

Sprint Tris can be done on a Mountain bike. You'll be working a little harder than your fellow competitors who have a road bike, but that's OK. usually the main goal of a first sprint tri is just to finish and have fun and find out how it works
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help!! New triathlete!! Green as they come! Rss Feed