General Discussion Triathlon Talk » --- Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-27 11:05 PM

Subject: ---
When I was a kayak volunteer at IMTX, they told us to stick with anyone that asks for the help, and that's what I did with one guy who needed to stop and rest every 10 min or so. I followed him for over a mile and a half. From the perspective of a volunteer in a boat, I was actually quite surprised in a bad way about how many people were not prepared for the swim
This is nuts to me. Too many people go into these races ill-prepared, hence the rash of swim deaths in the past few years. A guy drowned not far behind me during the swim at Louisville (2011). The same race during a steep descent, an inexperienced cyclist caused a pileup that took a fair amount of folks out of the race. I agree that the OP is being irresponsible going into a race with a couple thousand other people and clearly a lack of regard for preparation. But I'm also assuming the OP didn't get a comprehensive heart checkup before commencing training either. Sudden cardiac death is responsible for nearly ALL triathlon deaths, mainly in open water or during the marathon. Personally I'd skip a training day and make an appt with my doctor above all else.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » --- Rss Feed