General Discussion Race Reports! » Richmond Tri Club Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Richmond Tri Club Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richmond, Virginia
United States
Set Up Events
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 48s
Overall Rank = 62/385
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/28
Pre-race routine:

Ate normal breakfast. Drove to race site with my wife, who was also racing, and set up transition. Waited inside due to cold air temps. Changed in CASC locker room.
Event warmup:

Got in a couple of laps in the warm up pool.
Swim
  • 07m 21s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim went pretty well. It's the fastest per hundred I've had for a race at 1:40. There was a bit of a bottleneck at the buoy with 100 meters to go with multiple guys breast stroking and filling the lane.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

The air temperature was 45F, so it was cold coming out of the pool. I put on a jersey and gloves and had toe covers on my shoes. Jersey was tough to get on while wet. My new helmet has a visor that came off when I put the helmet on. I didn't want to lose the visor, so I stuck it in the back of my jersey. It was difficult to get it to stay, so this took time.
What would you do differently?:

I lose too much time in transition. This one was particularly bad, partly due to the cold.
Bike
  • 36m 23s
  • 20 kms
  • 32.98 km/hr
Comments:

It took me too long to get clipped in. The start of the course is up hill and I couldn't get clipped for a bit. Once clipped, I had a good ride. My quads went numb during the first few miles due to being wet and cold.

Figure out how to clip in quicker. Coming out of a poor T1 and not being able to clip in right away, I lost a lot of time here. I need to figure out how to ride faster in general.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

I'm slow here too. I had to remove the jersey.

I need to get faster in transition.
Run
  • 21m 41s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 20s  min/km
Comments:

It took about a lap to get a good feel for the run. This is my fastest per mile triathlon run at 6:58. My running is definitely improving and is my strong point. I enjoyed the cheering from all the RTC people on the course.

Push a little more maybe. It was pretty good, but I think I can go a bit faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran around the course a bit looking for Kristen. I found her late in her first lap on the run. After she finished, we had breakfast and talked to some RTC friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Transition performance and the bike a bit.

Event comments:

This race was my first triathlon 2 years ago. I've definitely come a long way. I took about 4 minutes off my time. I could have taken more off, but the cold weather required additional gear in transition. I also lost at least a minute of time during transition. I didn't do any sprints last year, so it was odd being done with each event as quickly as I was. RTC puts on a good race. It's great to get so much support from other members of the club during and after the race.

Last updated: 2015-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:21 | 400 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/28
Overall: 98/385
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit
Course: 50 meter indoor pool set up with buoys to simulate open water type race.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:36:23 | 20 kms | 32.98 km/hr
Age Group: 12/28
Overall: 66/385
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course is a loop around the swim site. It goes up Iron Bridge Rd, then past the Chesterfield Airport. One lane of Iron Bridge is closed to traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:41 | 05 kms | 04m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 9/28
Overall: 48/385
Performance: Good
Course: Two laps around the soccer fields at Ukrop Park and around the CSAC building. This makes for great crowd support.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-04-28 8:33 AM

, Virginia
Subject: Richmond Tri Club Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Richmond Tri Club Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Richmond Tri Club Sprint Triathlon

Started by wsb5c
Views: 944 Posts: 2

2015-04-27 12:44 AM themissj1981

Richmond Tri Club Sprint Presented by 3Sports

Started by H20man
Views: 1051 Posts: 3

2012-09-19 9:38 AM Sous

Started by RecTri
Views: 1498 Posts: 5

2012-09-19 9:33 AM Sous

Started by enders_shadow
Views: 1429 Posts: 6

2012-09-19 10:37 AM miche033

Started by pvfd304
Views: 988 Posts: 1

2012-09-16 12:21 PM pvfd304
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.