General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you "count" your minutes in swim training workouts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-04-30 4:59 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: How do you "count" your minutes in swim training workouts?

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by Left Brain

Swimmers track yards......triathletes track time. 

It's a fundamental difference......and the biggest reason triathletes can't swim.  They just don't swim enough.

A lot of folks come to tris with no swim background, and I think they are dis-served by some beginner plans, which call for say swim :30."   Well, what does that mean?   Straight?   Total with sets?  I think all beginner plans should be set/distance-based, and not time based.  No reason a new swimmer can't learn the basic meaning of sendoffs, descending sets, neg splits, etc. from the get go.  People understandably "grow up" in the sport of triathlon thinking a straight swim is the way to train (and why not they may ask, it's pretty much how we bike and/or run).

I swim by yardage

I ride by time/power

I run by time/HR

* eta, I don't identify as a "swimmer," "biker" or "runner," not having concentrated on any of those growing up.  I played water polo instead.  They tried to get us to swim one season, it sucked.

Chris, because I am familiar with your training, I know you actually do your pool swimming by effort/pace (utilizing structured send-offs) and on the rare occasions you are on the track you actually do use distance and effort/pace when running. This is of course stated NOT in disagreement with you, but just to try and be COMPLETELY clear what me, you, Ben, AREND* and others are talking about.

*sorry AREND I have no idea why my iPad keeps autocorrecting your name in all caps, but I kinda like it!

Yeah, I think there is general agreement among a number and the differences one might see are more slight. The underlying message being said is that two options presented at the beginning really miss a lot of info about the workout. The more "correct" answer would be to log the breakdown of what you did.

I don't know how you could track fitness gains without doing that.   I can look at a log entry from 2013 and know immediately if my swim fitness is better or worse than then

Kids have it easier than us by far..  USA swimming and Milesplit keep track of all swimming and track/xc times for them. They don't have to enter anything. They easily show a progression of "best times" over the years.  Then biking is just a matter of regular FTP testing.

2015-04-30 6:19 PM
in reply to: themissj1981

User image

Extreme Veteran

I wear a watch and it

a) tracks total time
b) tracks moving time
c) counts laps, distance
d) gives me an average pace to see progress
e) counts SPL, SPM, any metric I want
f) automatically updates my log
g) calculates my weekly, monthly distance
h) I can use it to help me pace on a per 50, 100.....basis

But apparently wearing a watch is a bad thing.
2015-04-30 7:04 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Regular
Oregon
Originally posted by marcag

I wear a watch and it

a) tracks total time
b) tracks moving time
c) counts laps, distance
d) gives me an average pace to see progress
e) counts SPL, SPM, any metric I want
f) automatically updates my log
g) calculates my weekly, monthly distance
h) I can use it to help me pace on a per 50, 100.....basis

But apparently wearing a watch is a bad thing.

I'm planning to buy a watch soon. I'm just waiting till they build one that can stretch my hammies for me, massage me after workouts and do my taxes!

2015-04-30 7:13 PM
in reply to: themissj1981

User image

If I am doing repeats of say, 100m, I'd measure those separately, but if you're simply going for a swim with rests, count the whole time.
2015-04-30 7:19 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag I wear a watch and it a) tracks total time b) tracks moving time c) counts laps, distance d) gives me an average pace to see progress e) counts SPL, SPM, any metric I want f) automatically updates my log g) calculates my weekly, monthly distance h) I can use it to help me pace on a per 50, 100.....basis But apparently wearing a watch is a bad thing.

By the time I got to f) I'd be looking for something sharp to poke my eyes out with.

2015-04-30 7:34 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag I wear a watch and it a) tracks total time b) tracks moving time c) counts laps, distance d) gives me an average pace to see progress e) counts SPL, SPM, any metric I want f) automatically updates my log g) calculates my weekly, monthly distance h) I can use it to help me pace on a per 50, 100.....basis But apparently wearing a watch is a bad thing.

By the time I got to f) I'd be looking for something sharp to poke my eyes out with.

You are safe. For you it would simply say 0.

2015-04-30 7:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag

You are safe. For you it would simply say 0.

Yes......a, b, d, e, f, and h would would say zero, or I would beat it on the pool deck until it did. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2015-04-30 7:50 PM
2015-05-04 1:45 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Swimmers track yards......triathletes track time. 

It's a fundamental difference......and the biggest reason triathletes can't swim.  They just don't swim enough.

Do swimmers count yards or miles when they do run training? And what about the bike training; miles, yards, or time?

Swimmers don't run or bike

Thanks for getting it

2015-05-04 5:34 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Not a bad thing, just not cool.  

Originally posted by TankBoy

Chris, because I am familiar with your training, I know you actually do your pool swimming by effort/pace (utilizing structured send-offs) and on the rare occasions you are on the track you actually do use distance and effort/pace when running. This is of course stated NOT in disagreement with you, but just to try and be COMPLETELY clear what me, you, Ben, AREND* and others are talking about.

*sorry AREND I have no idea why my iPad keeps autocorrecting your name in all caps, but I kinda like it!

RUSTY, I'M JUST MAKING SURE YOU DON'T FORGET MY NAME!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you "count" your minutes in swim training workouts? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

30 minute swim workouts

Started by Danielfberlin
Views: 1013 Posts: 9

2014-12-04 10:25 AM yazmaster

25 minute swim workouts?

Started by Moonrocket
Views: 2490 Posts: 10

2013-02-20 2:29 PM bananatoes

Swimming Workouts when plan is minutes based

Started by BeginnerMan
Views: 1085 Posts: 6

2008-11-19 9:53 AM BeginnerMan

Swim Workouts - Minutes vs. Yardage

Started by JimD
Views: 966 Posts: 20

2007-02-16 2:58 PM AF_SGT

30-40 minute swim workouts

Started by tim_edwards
Views: 9927 Posts: 12

2005-11-18 11:05 AM Rocket Man
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
How important is it to decrease your stroke count?

date : March 30, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
The focus this month will be on decreasing stroke count and breathing on your weaker side. We’re getting into some pretty advanced-level workouts.
date : February 23, 2009
The focus this month will be on increasing speed in combination with decreasing stroke count. We're starting to get into some serious yardage.

date : November 17, 2008
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re continuing intervals. The focus will be on speeding up while maintaining good stroke technique, lots of stroke counting this time.
date : September 3, 2008
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.

date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle