General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim breathing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-01 9:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: Swim breathing

I'm looking for some advice regarding breathing during the freestyle stroke..

I bi-lateral breathe which feels quite comfortable to me, however over the course of 100+ yard sets, I feel like I'm on the verge of hyperventilating, almost gasping at the end... I'm in pretty good shape, I've been swimming 1,500-2,000 yards 3x weekly for over a year so I'm confident it's less about fitness and more about technique.  

Breathing every stroke doesn't work (not ready for air yet), nor can I go four pulls between breathes, (my definition for 4 pulls = head in water, right, left, right, left breathe on the right)..

I've tried to focus on not taking too deep of breaths because I thought over the course of the set I would start needing to exhale deeper too however as the set progresses I start to take deeper breathes and then by the end I'm breathing heavier than I feel I should for the effort exerted.  

So first I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the overall problem cause(s), then I'm hoping for solution suggestions...

Thank you.

2015-05-01 10:16 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Subject: RE: Swim breathing
Breathe when you need to. I typically breathe on right side only, can and do breathe both sides but more comfortable on right. If I'm just tooling along I'll breathe every 4 strokes, if I'm sprinting I breathe much more frequently, but as needed. One thing that may help, make sure you exhale fully when your face is in the water. This allows for a full inhalation and doesn't throw your timing off. I hum when I swim, the faster I swim, the harder and louder I hum so that I can fully exhale before rolling for a breathe.
2015-05-01 10:21 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by TriMike

I bi-lateral breathe which feels quite comfortable to me, however over the course of 100+ yard sets, I feel like I'm on the verge of hyperventilating, almost gasping at the end... I'm in pretty good shape, I've been swimming 1,500-2,000 yards 3x weekly for over a year so I'm confident it's less about fitness and more about technique.  

Breathing every stroke doesn't work (not ready for air yet), nor can I go four pulls between breathes, (my definition for 4 pulls = head in water, right, left, right, left breathe on the right)..

I've tried to focus on not taking too deep of breaths because I thought over the course of the set I would start needing to exhale deeper too however as the set progresses I start to take deeper breathes and then by the end I'm breathing heavier than I feel I should for the effort exerted.  

So first I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the overall problem cause(s), then I'm hoping for solution suggestions...

Thank you.

Sounds like you don't breath out under water, when you do this you have to breath out and in with you head turned. This gives you very little time to get air in, which your probably not getting enough. Blow all air out under water.

If you breath every stroke which you said is too much, it's similar to normal breathing. I breath every stroke with any distance swimming, primarily to my right, but can go left when I need to.
2015-05-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

I breath every 4 on most efforts and then down to 3 or 2 on hard repeats.

When I get gassed I typically find it is because of not breathing out fully. Just a few breaths where I really exhale fully brings me back to balance.

2015-05-01 10:27 AM
in reply to: sdalcher

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Not a coach or swimming expert but I read a good article lately about the importance of exhaling properly. I cant remember where I read the article but I found something similar on the internet in the below link.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/exhalation.html

2015-05-01 10:59 AM

Exhaling underwater is important so that you can get a full breath on the breath.

I'd still recommend that you at least try doing unilateral (all right or all left) breathing and see how it goes. If I bilateral breathe, I also feel like I'm gasping for air after a few hundred yards at race pace since it's just not enough oxygen for me, whereas I'm fine for 2000 at the same pace if I breath unilaterally since it's a breath every 2nd instead of every 3rd stroke. 

I do all of my training breathing unilaterally now, mainly because of this - I can go harder.

2015-05-01 11:28 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by mike761

Thank you.

Sounds like you don't breath out under water, when you do this you have to breath out and in with you head turned. This gives you very little time to get air in, which your probably not getting enough. Blow all air out under water. If you breath every stroke which you said is too much, it's similar to normal breathing. I breath every stroke with any distance swimming, primarily to my right, but can go left when I need to.

I do breath out underwater, the issue is I'm not done with the exhale by the time I'm starting to lift my head to breath so I tend to do a final exhale "burst" to get the remainder out .. I think this heavily contributes to the eventual gasping as it's not a rhythmic breathing, rather it's choppy..

Which brings up another challenge, I can't seem to find the ideal head placement to get air in without a lot of water... I've read that very little of the head actually needs to exit the water however when I try that I gulp water...I finally was able to get a little video on my swim technique and I was amazed at how far out of the water I'm bringing my head to breath...

As for breathing every stroke, If I do that, I feel like I'm not ready yet for air so it seems forced to exhale.  Essentially it's a quicker version of the same problem with bi-lateral breathing... 

IF my problem is not exhaling enough under water before raising my head to breath, should I be attempting to go to the 4-strokes with my breath on the same side?  I.E., 4 strokes, breath on the right, repeat...?

Thanks everyone.

2015-05-01 11:58 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Thank you.

Sounds like you don't breath out under water, when you do this you have to breath out and in with you head turned. This gives you very little time to get air in, which your probably not getting enough. Blow all air out under water. If you breath every stroke which you said is too much, it's similar to normal breathing. I breath every stroke with any distance swimming, primarily to my right, but can go left when I need to.

I do breath out underwater, the issue is I'm not done with the exhale by the time I'm starting to lift my head to breath so I tend to do a final exhale "burst" to get the remainder out .. I think this heavily contributes to the eventual gasping as it's not a rhythmic breathing, rather it's choppy..

Which brings up another challenge, I can't seem to find the ideal head placement to get air in without a lot of water... I've read that very little of the head actually needs to exit the water however when I try that I gulp water...I finally was able to get a little video on my swim technique and I was amazed at how far out of the water I'm bringing my head to breath...

As for breathing every stroke, If I do that, I feel like I'm not ready yet for air so it seems forced to exhale.  Essentially it's a quicker version of the same problem with bi-lateral breathing... 

IF my problem is not exhaling enough under water before raising my head to breath, should I be attempting to go to the 4-strokes with my breath on the same side?  I.E., 4 strokes, breath on the right, repeat...?

Thanks everyone.

It sounds like you are consciously trying to exhale right before you turn your head? You should be exhaling as soon as your face goes back in the water; so you are either exhaling(when your face is in) or inhaling (when you turn your head). Just like when you are on dry land, you do not need to ever hold your breath. Holding your breath is for divers!

I've been swimming so long I have to stop and think to answer these question sometimes, because for me this is second nature.

Your head does not have to come out far to get a breath but this does take practice. For me one goggle and half of my mouth actually stays in the water, my nose just barely clears the surface.
2015-05-01 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
OP wrote:
"Breathing every stroke doesn't work (not ready for air yet), nor can I go four pulls between breathes, (my definition for 4 pulls = head in water, right, left, right, left breathe on the right).."

How about going a bit faster so you WILL need to breath every stroke?
2015-05-01 6:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by badmo77a

I breath every 4 on most efforts and then down to 3 or 2 on hard repeats.

When I get gassed I typically find it is because of not breathing out fully. Just a few breaths where I really exhale fully brings me back to balance.

X2 on that focus on getting all that CO2 out, longer exhaling, emptying those lungs.
I do find that my exhales are intentionally more forceful and a tad longer than the inhale. Ideally I want to breathe every 3, but my form is not perfect when breathing on both sides; not to mention, my fitness at any working pace requires breathing every 2 strokes. My breathing volume and rate is linked to my effort. My timing and breathing improved when I started swimming with the tempo trainer, because my breathing rate and volume is directly linked to effort

Edited by TJHammer 2015-05-01 6:23 PM
2015-05-01 6:20 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon
I have breathing issues too. I tend to do bilateral breathing (what I would call breathing every 3rd stroke) this seems to be the right amount of air for me to cruise along comfortably for about 100 yards. then I start to need more air and I switch to unilateral breathing (what I would call breathing every 2nd stroke). then I can do about another 75-100 yards before I'm totally gasping for air and have to go on my back for about 10-15 yards to recover.

This worries me that my breathing "fitness" doesn't seem to be catching up to the rest of my fitness. When I have to quit swimming it's NEVER because my legs or arms feel sore or tired, it's always about the air. When I have to quit running or biking it's always about muscle soreness or cramping, and never about oxygen (unless I'm doing speed training, max exertion runs).

so, I'm in the same boat with the OP looking for breathing advice. I also feel like I fully exhale under water. I don't know what's going on. My swim coach just says I'm doing fine and it will come with practice and fitness....but I seem to have this problem more than any other swimmers on our team or that I know or watch.

Edited by themissj1981 2015-05-01 6:21 PM

2015-05-01 6:22 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon

Which brings up another challenge, I can't seem to find the ideal head placement to get air in without a lot of water... I've read that very little of the head actually needs to exit the water however when I try that I gulp water...I finally was able to get a little video on my swim technique and I was amazed at how far out of the water I'm bringing my head to breath

I am also guilty of lifting my head too much to breath and I do have one little tip I discovered about that (I guess it's a tip):

Whenever I need to switch to unilateral breathing, I've recently made a change from my strong side (breathing on my right side) to my weak side (all breaths on my left side). I feel like this is really helping me to break the old habit of lifting my head too far out of the water when I take a breath. For years I've favored breathing on the right side so much that all the muscle memory is built up with my technique errors. When I breathe on the left side I am able to focus on the proper form and technique without first having to "unlearn" my bad habits.

Also, my coach tells me to try and put my ear on my shoulder. I usually can't LITERALLY put my ear on my shoulder, but thinking about it helps.

Edited by themissj1981 2015-05-01 6:26 PM
2015-05-01 6:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thank you.

Thanks everyone.

Two good articles on breathing

One from swim smooth
http://www.feelforthewater.com/2015/03/sneaky-breathing.html

One from Gary Hall Sr
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/07/training/a-better-way-to-br...
2015-05-01 9:17 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by marcag

Thank you.

Thanks everyone.

Two good articles on breathing One from swim smooth http://www.feelforthewater.com/2015/03/sneaky-breathing.htmlOne from Gary Hall Sr http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/07/training/a-better-way-to-br...

The Gary Hall Sr. video raised an interesting point about oxygen deprivation as a result of  the 1:3 ratio breathing every third stroke...I don't quite understand his 2:3 technique but I'm definitely going to start experimenting with breathing every stroke to more approximate "normal" breathing...

Then maybe I'll dig in to the 2:3 ratio....

2015-05-01 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
2:3 is how Kieren Perkins swam... he was the best 1500 swimmer for most of the 90s (gold in 92&96) and was 2nd in Sydney to Hackett.
2015-05-02 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

I'm looking for some advice regarding breathing during the freestyle stroke. I bi-lateral breathe which feels quite comfortable to me, however over the course of 100+ yard sets, I feel like I'm on the verge of hyperventilating, almost gasping at the end ... So first I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the overall problem cause(s), then I'm hoping for solution suggestions.

Yes, you should exhale properly and deeply (within reason). Yes, you should avoid over-rotation during breathing. Yes, you should practice and practice.

But first you must correct your breathing frequency. That is the main source of your problem. Nearly all fast distance freestylers and nearly all fast triathlon swimmers breathe every 2 strokes (so that's every right stroke, or every left stroke). Classic bilateral breathing is NOT effective for swimming fast. Yes, you absolutely need to be able to breathe on both sides with equal comfort. But alternating from the right side to the left side and so on (bilateral breathing) as you swim will not give you enough air when you're trying to swim fast. Start breathing every 2 strokes for ALL of your freestyle swimming except when you are swimming slowly like, say, during a very easy warm up or cool down.

So how does one improve and learn to breathe easily on both sides, but still breathe every two strokes and get enough air? Well, one easy way is to breathe only on one side but to switch this every single pool length. For example, at an outdoor pool, in the course of your full workout, you can choose to breathe away from the sun. So, that might mean that on your first length of the pool, you will breathe only on your right side. But, then, as soon as you get to the wall at the far end of the pool, you switch and then breathe on your left side. And then you switch sides again. And so on. The net result will be that half of your workout will be breathing on your right side, and half will be breathing on your left side. You'll get sufficient air (and not have to stare into the sun as a bonus--but this approach can be applied in indoor pools as well, minus the sun of course).

Greg @ dsw

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2015-05-02 9:04 AM

2015-05-02 10:22 AM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks
Originally posted by TriMike I'm looking for some advice regarding breathing during the freestyle stroke. I bi-lateral breathe which feels quite comfortable to me, however over the course of 100+ yard sets, I feel like I'm on the verge of hyperventilating, almost gasping at the end ... So first I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the overall problem cause(s), then I'm hoping for solution suggestions.
Yes, you should exhale properly and deeply (within reason). Yes, you should avoid over-rotation during breathing. Yes, you should practice and practice. But first you must correct your breathing frequency. That is the main source of your problem. Nearly all fast distance freestylers and nearly all fast triathlon swimmers breathe every 2 strokes (so that's every right stroke, or every left stroke). Classic bilateral breathing is NOT effective for swimming fast. Yes, you absolutely need to be able to breathe on both sides with equal comfort. But alternating from the right side to the left side and so on (bilateral breathing) as you swim will not give you enough air when you're trying to swim fast. Start breathing every 2 strokes for ALL of your freestyle swimming except when you are swimming slowly like, say, during a very easy warm up or cool down. So how does one improve and learn to breathe easily on both sides, but still breathe every two strokes and get enough air? Well, one easy way is to breathe only on one side but to switch this every single pool length. For example, at an outdoor pool, in the course of your full workout, you can choose to breathe away from the sun. So, that might mean that on your first length of the pool, you will breathe only on your right side. But, then, as soon as you get to the wall at the far end of the pool, you switch and then breathe on your left side. And then you switch sides again. And so on. The net result will be that half of your workout will be breathing on your right side, and half will be breathing on your left side. You'll get sufficient air (and not have to stare into the sun as a bonus--but this approach can be applied in indoor pools as well, minus the sun of course). Greg @ dsw

Second paragraph is exactly what I do now.  Masters coach recently told me to breathe every cycle (and even throw in a "double" or breathe to the right and immediately to the left every so often) for tri.  His point was that OWS is different from trying to go 50m or 100m as fast as possible.  At first this seemed like a lot of air, but another swimmer in the group and my kids' other coach (she's won several 70.3's - outright, not AG) does the same so it seems to work in the specific setting of tri!  

I'll point out that I have a life long addiction to oxygen, though, unlike real swimmers (my kids, for instance, don't seem to need so much air).    Seriously, the advice to practice breathing every two has helped me, and I practice it in our local outdoor pool by always breathing to the same side of the pool (so, half to one side, half to the other) - usually avoiding sun in my eyes.  I do also throw in a left/right breath every lap or two, especially coming up to the wall.

I actually used the left/right thing a couple times in a race last weekend.  I got gassed surging to stay with a pair of feet I was drafting when he tried to shake me, and the double breath once or twice helped get me back from the brink.  I also think it's helped my form, as it seems that if I am swimming "right," it's fairly easy to take a breath without throwing my stroke off (that did not used to be the case).

Matt

2015-05-02 10:29 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5
I actually used the left/right thing a couple times in a race last weekend.  I got gassed surging to stay with a pair of feet I was drafting when he tried to shake me, and the double breath once or twice helped get me back from the brink.  I also think it's helped my form, as it seems that if I am swimming "right," it's fairly easy to take a breath without throwing my stroke off (that did not used to be the case).

One thing I did not include in my post above: in races, you're going hard and fast, so still breathe every 2 strokes, but just pick whichever side is most comfortable, most convenient, and most appropriate for the conditions.

Races are such a small fraction of your total yearly swim volume (or, at least, they should be), that you don't need to worry about training for stroke symmetry. That should happen during your training sessions. For a race, you want to be fast, safe, and totally comfortable, so just pick your best side (or the one away from the waves, sun, etc.) and swim fast !
2015-05-02 12:41 PM

User image

Breathe when you need to. I typically breathe on right side only, can and do breathe both sides but more comfortable on right. If I'm just tooling along I'll breathe every 4 strokes, if I'm sprinting I breathe much more frequently, but as needed. One thing that may help, make sure you exhale fully when your face is in the water. This allows for a full inhalation and doesn't throw your timing off. I hum when I swim, the faster I swim, the harder and louder I hum so that I can fully exhale before rolling for a breathe.
2015-05-02 6:32 PM

User image

If you are bilateral breathing, then the choice is really breathing every third stroke or every fifth stroke. So when you say "4 strokes then breathe" I assume you mean every 5th stroke. Some people would call that "hypoxic" swimming and you really do need to breathe before then, unless you are specifically hypoxic training. Try breathing every third stroke. You shouldn't feel like you desperately NEED the breath then but you should be able get into a rhythm of exhaling out and being ready to breathe on the third.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-05-02 6:35 PM
2015-05-03 5:41 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

Helpful article! Thanks!

2015-05-03 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
My 2 cents worth: Get comfortable with bilateral breathing, not that it is critical to breathe every 3 strokes, you just want to be competent with breathing on both sides of your body. During a race you will need to breathe enough to support your exertion rate. I am a FOP swimmer and spend the first 100-150 years of the race sprinting to get out in front. This effort requires a every two stroke breathing pattern but as I cannot sprint the entire race, I need to shift gears and part of this is get my breathing more under control as I feel that at the slower pace the 2 stroke breathing makes me feel like I am hyperventilating. My goal is every 4 strokes at this point but will commonly transition through an every 3 stroke breathing pattern.

Seems to me that with the swim, far more than other disciplines, you have less distractions - no garmin, no jockying for position, no spectators, no nutrition/water concerns. My time is spent thinking about my breathing, my stroke rate and my hydrodynamics and -mostly- am I swimming in a straight line. As far as exhaling, this should be 100% in the water, proper breathing patterns leave little time for inhaling never mind spending some of that precious time exhaling.
2015-05-03 8:27 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Oysterboy My 2 cents worth: Get comfortable with bilateral breathing, not that it is critical to breathe every 3 strokes, you just want to be competent with breathing on both sides of your body. During a race you will need to breathe enough to support your exertion rate. I am a FOP swimmer and spend the first 100-150 years of the race sprinting to get out in front. This effort requires a every two stroke breathing pattern but as I cannot sprint the entire race, I need to shift gears and part of this is get my breathing more under control as I feel that at the slower pace the 2 stroke breathing makes me feel like I am hyperventilating. My goal is every 4 strokes at this point but will commonly transition through an every 3 stroke breathing pattern. Seems to me that with the swim, far more than other disciplines, you have less distractions - no garmin, no jockying for position, no spectators, no nutrition/water concerns. My time is spent thinking about my breathing, my stroke rate and my hydrodynamics and -mostly- am I swimming in a straight line. As far as exhaling, this should be 100% in the water, proper breathing patterns leave little time for inhaling never mind spending some of that precious time exhaling.

That's a long race! 

Mark

2015-05-03 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Thanks for all the good information.  Many things to start working on.  To the poster who mentioned my 4 strokes (or maybe it's 5) then breathing technique being almost hypoxic, that's exactly what I was wondering about... Almost getting light headed at the end...

Back to the pool Monday morning early, can't wait to get started...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim breathing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimming Breathing Lessons

Started by jamesgef
Views: 1142 Posts: 6

2005-08-03 10:48 PM jmoreno5

swim breathing question

Started by kernman
Views: 930 Posts: 7

2005-04-26 12:30 PM xiphias

Swim Breathing

Started by zeebie
Views: 1283 Posts: 11

2005-02-03 1:41 PM zeebie

Swimming-breathing

Started by Tri4life
Views: 657 Posts: 8

2004-11-10 5:39 PM ChrisM

Swim Breathing

Started by Lee
Views: 953 Posts: 6

2003-10-17 3:38 PM sherrick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : February 4, 2011
comments : 1
Drills and suggestions to make bilateral breathing seem effortless

date : September 17, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I feel as if I am working very hard to actually breath especially on my right side. I also am not sure that I have the correct arm and hip rotation as it feels like I am fighting the water. Any help?
date : October 29, 2008
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : June 27, 2007
Questions and answers on wetsuit swimming, cadence, interval time, paddle benefit, hand entry, runners kick drills, bilateral breathing and race breathing.
date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
Have no endurance? Try this routine for your first few months.