World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 18m
Overall Rank = 2002/2525
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 73/
Pre-race routine:

Up early for breakfast--oatmeal, blueberries, couple of eggs.
Event warmup:

The usual--double/triple checking my T1. The unusual--watching all the pros get their stuff ready--I mostly watched Rinny. She was probably creeped out by my gawking! This would be the first of two stalking opportunities!
Swim
  • 1h 00m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Things fell apart on the swim. I was in wave 7. Most of the young guns were in the waves behind my age group (W 45-49). If I would have been thinking properly I would have stayed out to the right of the buoys. Instead, I figured I'll swim right along the buoys for ease in sighting. Well, of course that put me right in the path of the strong, fast swimmers coming from behind. As soon as they started coming I couldn't get my breath, keep my heart rate down, or get into any kind of rhythm. Instead of just moving out I stayed in that inside lane--I don't know why I didn't move out of there. I had to breast stroke way too much which meant I was really using my legs a lot.
What would you do differently?:

Stayed the hell out of that inside lane. If I would have stayed out to the right more and found calmer waters I would have been fine. Once that first group swam over me from behind it became a struggle. I was never panicked, just couldn't find a rhythm.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

My two transitions were the only thing that improved from last year! Ha!

Nothing, it was good for me.
Bike
  • 4h 04m
  • 56 miles
  • 13.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew as soon as I started the first climb the bike experience was going to be much different than last year's. I just couldn't get up to speed. My legs felt heavy immediately and I labored much more. Looking over my training I have certainly put in the time but perhaps I haven't pushed as hard? I'm not sure what happened but it all just felt so much harder this year. There was an extra hill lap in Snow Canyon and the downhills I was cruising, I just couldn't keep my speed up on the flats or climbs. My legs didn't want to go. The heat really seemed to bother me this year as well. However, a few positives happened along the way. First of all, many people were off their bikes in Snow Canyon, pushing them up. Not once did I think of getting off and walking my bike--I made all those damn climbs--slowly--but I never stopped. Also, many people were on the side of the road with tire problems and crashes. I had no mechanical issues whatsoever. And the best--as I was cresting a hill that was also part of the run course, Rinny was just making the turn and I was able to watch her run for several minutes--that was so cool! When I started my descent I passed her and yelled "Go Rinny!" She probably thought 'there's that creeper who was watching me in T1 this morning!'

I'm not sure, train harder I guess. I loved the hills last year. This year, not so much.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Again, fast transition for me.
Run
  • 3h 02m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was just brutal. At the top they added a second uphill loop which was kind of a mental 'screw with ya' thing. You're finally heading downhill and then to get rerouted back up again seemed really mean! Lol! It was relentless forward progress though. Never stopped moving forward. I walked the hills, ran the downhills. The heat really bothered me on the run too. I just couldn't get my legs moving. But, again--a positive--many people off to the side with cramping issues, or just sitting dazed and confused. I never cramped, never had any stomach issues--that was good.

I'm not really sure--run more? I feel like I was better prepared this year but ran 1/2 hour slower.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my family, put my feet in the water at the fountains in the park.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really don't know. I just couldn't move my legs. Don't know if that was because of the swim, or not being in as good of shape as I thought? I really am not sure why I was so slow on both the bike and run. It's disappointing--especially as I have Ironman CDA in 8 weeks. I'm worried my training hasn't been enough. Or...maybe yesterday just wasn't my day.

Event comments:

I'm not sure how to answer overall course based on my ability. It wasn't too hard--I felt I had the fitness for it. It was really hard though.

Last updated: 2015-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:00:40 | 2112 yards | 02m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2525
Performance: Bad
Suit: Zoot
Course: Rectangular course. all left hand turns.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:04:00 | 56 miles | 13.77 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:02:00 | 13.1 miles | 13m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Hills, hills, and more hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-05-03 5:43 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Ironman 70.3 St. George

2015-05-03 6:58 PM
in reply to: #5112728

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 St. George
Congrats on surviving that! It sounds like a real sufferfest, both the course and the heat. I wouldn't worry too much about the time. Probably affected by the heat and also you're at the end of a long build for the IM. Maybe taper wasn't enough to clear all the cumulative fatigue. Plus the swim on top of that may have been the final straw. From the workouts you post, it certainly seems like you're training enough, at least for HIM distance. That sounds like a really tough course!

It's funny--I've been complaining about Vietnam 70.3 because of the opposite issue--they're making the AG women start in the last leg, which means I'm going to waste time working my way around all the slower swimmers who will still be out there. Plus the bike--if I do have a decent bike leg, I will be passing a lot of the BOP age group guys, and in Asia, they tend to really fight it when a woman goes past, which can make it hard to avoid a draft penalty. One dude last year at Bintan blocked several of the FOP women, including me, so aggressively that we complained to a course official and I think he either got a penalty or was DQ'd. Guess there are advantages to both "ladies first" and guys first.

Hope recovery goes well and you rock that IM!
2015-05-03 8:26 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Elite

Yeah, I could definitely see how the slower swimmers become a hazard for you faster folks.  I've never been 'swim trampled' so much before--I'm not sure if my other waves have been like this or I was just smarter about where I was swimming.  This morning I immediately looked up the how the swim start is for IM CDA and it's a rolling start, self seeding.  I will seed myself in the back with my people!

I am trying to stay positive about the whole race--I am proud of the mental effort it took to just keep moving forward.  I have 8 weeks to prepare for CDA--after this recovery week I'll look at little more closely at how I can tweak my remaining training time.

2015-05-04 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Awesome job in some brutal conditions! Way to keep your wits about you on the swim, and then fight through what sounds like a real tough course in the hills and heat. All of this is good prep for CDA!

2015-05-04 9:59 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Sounds like a rough day, Teech. Lord knows you get plenty of training in, so it sounds like it was just one of those days. Don't let it get you down. I know what you mean about seeing Rinny. When I did IM CDA in 2012 she was there and if I had read the program I would have been able to say hi to her at a meet and greet the day before the race. At certain points of the run I saw her powering by on the other side of the road and I wanted to yell "Go Rinny!" Man am I glad I kept my trap shut, because it wasn't her....she wasn't actually racing that day...she was just there as a spectator.

2015-05-04 2:04 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Way 2 Overcome The Mental Trauma!!! Huge Congrats

2015-05-05 10:56 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
WOW Kim, What a brutal day, but as always you conquered with grace and humor and a good attitude - that says a LOT about you!
Sometimes the conditions are just not in your favor and from all your posts, we all KNOW you were prepared for it!
Don't let this screw with your mind for your IM coming up! The Half was a completely different beast and you are now smarter than before and will use that knowledge to make the rest of your journey to IM a SUCCESS!

Sounds like you need to come visit me for some heat acclimation ;-) - OK, just trying to get you to come back to AZ so we can hang out ;-)!

Enjoy the rest this week, soak in what you learned and grow from it - you will kick some butt at your IM!!!
Congrats - sounds like a crazy hard course and you did awesome! I learned too that the outside is a much saner place to swim!)
Cheers!
2015-05-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Great race on a tough day and a tough (and even tougher than before) course!  We've all had "those days" when you put in the work but you feel a little lead-legged on race day, but you cranked along - I love the relentless forward progress!

Good stalking, too (you creeper). 

Matt

2016-04-28 3:41 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Cypress, Texas

I am going to this race next week (2016).  I am looking foreword to some time off from work to spend with family, but think it would be really cool if I had a good race while I am in St. George too.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 St. George Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 St. George

Started by tmoran07
Views: 1726 Posts: 4

2013-05-07 9:27 AM PHXATC

Ironman 70.3 St. George

Started by johnyutah5
Views: 1322 Posts: 1

2013-05-06 1:55 PM johnyutah5

Ironman 70.3 St. George

Started by bryancd
Views: 3158 Posts: 16

2013-05-24 5:09 PM Fastyellow

Ironman 70.3 St. George

Started by tomspharmacy
Views: 1617 Posts: 5

2013-05-06 6:05 PM johnyutah5

Ironman 70.3 St. George

Started by juliapurr
Views: 1735 Posts: 1

2013-05-04 5:11 PM juliapurr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.