General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I buy a new bike computer, or a Tri-Watch? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-05 3:08 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Subject: Should I buy a new bike computer, or a Tri-Watch?
My Bike computer broke (last summer actually) and I've been just getting by with an app on my phone that tells me my distance and speed.

But now that I'm getting back into full training I'm realizing this is not enough. Should I buy a new bike computer, or should I spring for one of those fancy watches that does everything for me? (inlcuding mows my lawn and pays my bills I think).

So...about me: I've done 3 sprint tris with back of pack finishes. My most recent was almost a MOP overall time. I'm training for a sprint, a HM and an Olympic this summer and eventually I would like to do a HIM...maybe in 2 years. Right now I am not doing any HR training or lactic threshhold stuff (I barely even know that that stuff means as I type it) But I plan to stick with this sport as long as my body allows me so I figure I'll eventually start doing HR based training.

2015-05-05 3:49 PM
in reply to: themissj1981

Subject: RE: Should I buy a new bike computer, or a Tri-Watch?
As someone in a similar boat as you....

(Used the phone for some time) and has ambitions of doing this while the body, time, and commitment lasts...

I got a reconditioned Garmin 310XT on Amazon. It's an old outdated model, but holds up well for a hobbyist like me to the newer models. It's very large. I couldn't justify spending many hundred for something I might use for 2-3 years when this will do the trick.
Came with the ANT stick (essentially required, and expensive to buy standalone) and an HR monitor.

There's lots of them out there, some are just the watch and the ANT stick. Some have the quick release kit and such. So, depending on how much or little you want to spend.

The HR monitors are somewhat plug and play, if they're using the same signaling. You can successfully use non Garmin HR monitors with a Garmin product. Same I would assume is true for footpods and power meters for the bike.

There's a guy that reviews all the watches. If you start Googling, you'll find him. He's very in depth and has inside tracks to the makers. He provides enough information and detail and even....almost recommendations....that I think you can confidently trust as a beginner/hobbyist. Not sure if it's the same for the more elite athletes, but I'm guessing he's pretty well respected.

I enjoy the data. While I don't study it (I'm a hobbyist), I use the HR to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid heartwise (as a 44 year old). The instant feedback on runs/bikes can definitely help you improve.

For me, it's still really about racking up miles. The phone apps I use will sync with my Garmin account. So, I get to keep all my miles in one place!
2015-05-05 4:23 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

What are your definitions for bike computer and tri-watch?  Bike computers range from 14.95 models at Walmart to $1500+ powertap units.  The spread on tri-watches may be similar.  

Are you inclined to learn about heart-rate training and actually follow a bona-fide plan?  

I had a Nike Triax HRM with a foot pod for speed and distance.  Here's what usually happened when I used it:

Prior to starting:  "I'm going to run 5 miles and keep my HR below 165 the whole time."  
5 minutes into the run:  "There's no way I can slow down enough to stay below 165.  I'll keep it around 170(ish)..."  
15 minutes into the run:  "Yea, yea...I know 175 is higher than I wanted to see...whatever..."  

I did like getting feedback on current pace, distance, and total pace.  

I've got Cateye Strada bike computers on both of my bikes and they're about $30 each.  I've got a Timex Ironman 30-lap watch.  I'll use phone apps like Runkeeper and RoadID for some training in addition to the bike computer and stopwatch.  

If you're going to get a HRM/GPS watch, the computer tools to upload data is the big differentiator between most of the products.  

2015-05-05 4:49 PM

, Idaho
I would put my money towards the Watch, first. Bike computer is nice, but watch can be used for biking and running, or all three (depending on the one you purchase).
2015-05-05 6:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I started as a runner so always had Garmin Forerunners and never had a bike computer. So when my last Garmin died the obvious choice for me was a Garmin Forerunner for swim/bike/run. I bought the 910xt and really like it. I still consider it primarily a running watch, but it works great for tracking cycling and swimming too. I don't have a speed/cadence sensor for it yet, which would complete the "bike-computer" aspect of it, so I just use it for distance on my bike (wearing it on my wrist). I also really like the lap-counting in the pool. As a backup sometimes I will use apps on my phone, but the Garmin is so much more capable (and can be used fr swimming).

Garmin gets a little buggy sometimes-- a couple days ago I was cursing it, but that only happens to me about once every six months. In general I'm pretty happy with it.

Edit: "they guy that reviews stuff" is DC Rainmaker and he has lots of good info on many different products-- anything you might want is on there:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

You're on your own with paying the bills and doing the dishes.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-05-05 6:35 PM
2015-05-05 6:48 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
I would get the Garmin 910XT if you want to save bit on money or go with the 920XT if you want to splurge a bit. They both can give you some solid bike information like a bike computer so really you would get the best of two worlds. I use my 910 XT as my bike computer and get everything i need from it. So I would go for the watch. If you get really into it the watch will be your best friend.

2015-05-05 7:03 PM
in reply to: zombie2212

User image

Yeah, I forgot to say that you can get really good deals on the 910xt because it's already outdated.

The 920xt is essentially the same watch in a slightly smaller form but also adds "drill mode" for swimming (so you can record distance for drills that wouldn't record as normal strokes), and also has both bluetooth and wifi data upload. Also smart-notifications.
2015-05-05 8:22 PM
in reply to: #5113269

If I only could have one, I would go with the watch. But if you can get both, I would. Run pace information is priceless. But a bike computer is much easier to read.
2015-05-05 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
then buy a Garmin watch, you can get a 310xt for a reasonable price. You can use it as a bike computer, and buy an ANT+ heart strap. I see a HRM as a key part of my training data.
2015-05-05 9:18 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

I had a Garmin Forerunner 110 (well still have) and upgraded to the 920 XT. I am a data junkie. 

It picked up my bontranger (sp?) sensors on my bike.. Think the bike compute is a node 1.1

I have only had the 920 for a few weeks..  LOVE it.  Auto uploads to Gamin connect. This is connected into Strava and now my BT log book. Just the time it saves me with auto uploads will be worth what I paid.

To do over again, I would not have purchased the 110 and node 1.1 and purchased a 920 instead.

2015-05-05 9:53 PM

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
I would buy the watch and depending on your budget, I recommend the Garmin 920xt. I got one this year and I love it. It has the versatility for all three sports and at the end of the day, it syncs everything up and I can take it with me. You can set it up to tell you just about the same as the bike computer. You can also get it with the HR monitor which is great for biking/running.

2015-05-06 6:44 AM

User image

Exton, PA
You should have a bike computer on your bike, extremely reliable and its always there, easy to read. You can get your basic wireless bike computer for about $50, they have odometers on them so it helps you know when to do maintenance on the bike.
2015-05-06 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Neither until you learn to train and race from perceived effort. Until then, the tech sends you in the wrong directions.
2015-05-06 9:37 AM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Regular
Oregon
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
Originally posted by FranzZemen

Neither until you learn to train and race from perceived effort. Until then, the tech sends you in the wrong directions.

This one raised my eyebrows. This is the first time I've heard advice like that; not that I've been on the forums a ton or anything but most articles and posts are about how you NEED to know your cadence, HR "zone" etc. But I'm also curious, if I'm training by perceived effort how do I correlate that into a plan? So let's say my "perceived effort" for a workout is a 6....how do I know whether that was too hard or too weak for that particular plan? Does perceived affort correlate in some way to HR zones?

Also, what if my perception is wrong and so I'm training without the proper feedback for long stretches of time? I could see that while you're trying to develop the "skill" of training by perceived effort that you might do something like a ratio of 3 workouts on feel and then 1 workout with monitors/data just to check yourself. But if I never check my HR, or cadence or whatever, then wouldn't it be kind of like the blind leading the blind? For instance when I run 45 minutes first thing on a weekend morning my perceived effort might be something like a 4 but if I do the exact same run after a 10 hour workday my perceived effort is a 6 even though it's the exact same workout with the same pace. It seems too subjective for a type A personality like me.

So, I'm not disagreeing (far be it from me to disagree since I know so little) I just have a lot of questions about that piece of advice. Is there an article somewhere I can reference?
2015-05-06 10:13 AM

User image

I totally disagree with that statement. Being able to track my data and follow my progress is hugely motivating for me and has helped me train better. Technology doesn't replace effort-perception but it can enhance it.
2015-05-06 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jennifer_runs I totally disagree with that statement. Being able to track my data and follow my progress is hugely motivating for me and has helped me train better. Technology doesn't replace effort-perception but it can enhance it.

Agreed. It has been helpful to figure out what my RPE correlates to in terms of run or bike speed. I have also been able to better factor climate into that equation, once I had some pacing numbers to associate to RPE. 

The watch is helpful in a number of ways for me, and gives me expandability options like HRM, cadence/speed sensor, foot pod, or power meter, if I ever decide I want them. It works whether I run or bike (or even swim). It works on any bike I have (currently 4) without a hitch. I can race with it or train with it. So that was the route I took. However...

It is also more expen$ive than some of the bike computers that are available.  It may not be as simple to use as some bike computers. It may not sync or upload as easily as some other options.  It may be overwhelming when you begin to search and see just how many options and devices are available. 

I figured I would share both sides of the decision making process that I went on. Enjoy!!

2015-05-06 2:13 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by mike761 You should have a bike computer on your bike, extremely reliable and its always there, easy to read. You can get your basic wireless bike computer for about $50, they have odometers on them so it helps you know when to do maintenance on the bike.

x2. I have a computer on both of my bikes and wouldn't want to go without them. It would seem foreign to me to have to check a watch for speed and distance. I ride a road bike a lot and am in the drops much of the time, so wouldn't even be able to see it without moving my arm. Seems strange to me.

2015-05-06 2:18 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Comes with the Timex Global Trainer2 and is available from a number of other providers:

This is from dcrainmaker, you simply put it on your handlebars and you are ready to roll.

2015-05-06 5:42 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by FranzZemen Neither until you learn to train and race from perceived effort. Until then, the tech sends you in the wrong directions.
Often the worst advice to give beginners as the PE scale is "uncalibrated".  We tend to go too hard for "easy" efforts, I was victim to this in my early days.  It wasn't until I bought a cheap HRM and did the bike and run field LT tests that I learned what the proper PE was for the efforts for each. It served me well training for my 1st HIM and HM.  I also used run race results with McMillan run calculator and correlated pacing/HR/PE so not matter what I was covered on the run as technology often can fail on us!  I no longer use a HRM except on the bike on race day to help hold me back as I don't yet have a power meter.

As with any tool/method, you have to use it properly to get the right results.

2015-05-19 6:55 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Regular
Oregon
update: I bought the garmin 920XT and had my first swim with it this morning. will run with it thisafternoon.

I bought the "triathlon package" which came with a HR monitor, but it didn't come with anything specific that mounts to the bike. How will it know my cadence?
2015-05-19 11:20 PM

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
You'll love that watch. Unless you have a power meter, you'll have to buy the cadence sensor. I think it's about $40. You can get a speed sensor combo for a bit more. A drop in the bucket compared to the watch itself

2015-05-20 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by jennifer_runs Yeah, I forgot to say that you can get really good deals on the 910xt because it's already outdated. The 920xt is essentially the same watch in a slightly smaller form but also adds "drill mode" for swimming (so you can record distance for drills that wouldn't record as normal strokes), and also has both bluetooth and wifi data upload. Also smart-notifications.

Same as Jennifer, I came to tri from running and had the 305 Garmin and loved it and when I got a bike I got the quick release and the cadence sensor. I now have several devices and the 305 is long gone

Being really into tri over cycling only I would go with the tri watch. I've had the 310 now since 2010 and and have used the same cadence sensor i've had since for forever and that first HR strap.  The Garmin tri watches are pretty slick and there are varying price points - but with the bike accessories and the quick release kits you really can't go wrong.

Though, if your eyesight is an issue i know a few folks who find the watch face a little small for reading on the fly. 

2015-05-20 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by themissj1981 update: I bought the garmin 920XT and had my first swim with it this morning. will run with it thisafternoon. I bought the "triathlon package" which came with a HR monitor, but it didn't come with anything specific that mounts to the bike. How will it know my cadence?

Oh i didn't see this before posting! YAY! Very exciting - the cadence sensor was mentioned above. There's also a quick release kit you can pick up that is totally worth it as well 

All these add-ons, I know, but they will make your life easier. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I buy a new bike computer, or a Tri-Watch? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

opinions needed.....buying new bike.....kestrel talon tri or specialized transition apex

Started by gphin305
Views: 1975 Posts: 5

2013-10-11 2:37 PM gphin305

Suggestions with new Tri computer

Started by Dorm57
Views: 751 Posts: 7

2013-07-23 12:42 AM sharkbait!

Garmin 310/910 or bike computer and gps watch

Started by garrunning
Views: 1531 Posts: 4

2012-01-01 4:17 PM PeteDin206

Buying second bike - tri or road bike with budget under $2,500

Started by Jerry Zimm
Views: 2795 Posts: 4

2011-07-07 7:02 PM Oldteen

What to expect from a bike shop when buying a new bike

Started by BadPitBull
Views: 1110 Posts: 8

2009-12-27 2:07 AM red66stang
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 25, 2014
author : jtriathlete
comments : 12
I'm jumping back into the long-distance races next year and I'm wondering the best way to spend my money? Should I buy a new bike or a powermeter and race wheels?

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.