General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yay science -- could leftover chlorine on my skin be causing "gold smudge" under my jewelry? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-07 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: Yay science -- could leftover chlorine on my skin be causing "gold smudge" under my jewelry?
I hit the pool this morning, showered and got ready for work. I put on a lovely bracelet that I assume is silver, aluminum or nickel coated.

A few hours later I noticed I had "gold smudge" (when your skin turns green or black from cheap gold) on my arm. I wore the bracelet yesterday and didn't get the smudge, but I didn't swim yesterday, either. Also, my wedding ring (white gold) doesn't cause my fingers to turn colors, and my cheap silver necklace (not sure of the exact metal) didn't cause my neck to turn colors.

Google seems to suggest that the leftover chlorine on my skin could be causing this. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to solve it? Does it happen with some metals and not others?

Thanks!

2015-05-07 2:02 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Yay science -- could leftover chlorine on my skin be causing "gold smudge" under my jewelry?

Sounds like you are starting to patina - keep it up and you'll look like Lady Liberty.

2015-05-07 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Yay science -- could leftover chlorine on my skin be causing "gold smudge" under my jewelry?

I've never been able to wear plated stuff.  My natural body sweat, oil, etc eats right through it.  Kind of like the creatures in the Alien movies with their acid blood.  That's why I can only wear watches with stainless steel (or rubber) cases.   Nothing to do with pool chlorine that I've ever noticed.

Mark

2015-05-07 3:18 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

I hit the pool this morning, showered and got ready for work. I put on a lovely bracelet that I assume is silver, aluminum or nickel coated.

A few hours later I noticed I had "gold smudge" (when your skin turns green or black from cheap gold) on my arm. I wore the bracelet yesterday and didn't get the smudge, but I didn't swim yesterday, either. Also, my wedding ring (white gold) doesn't cause my fingers to turn colors, and my cheap silver necklace (not sure of the exact metal) didn't cause my neck to turn colors.

Google seems to suggest that the leftover chlorine on my skin could be causing this. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to solve it? Does it happen with some metals and not others?

Thanks!

Actually where I currently work we do refining and processing of gold and platinum products.

Chlorine is a very reactive chemical.

What your jewelry is for sure I do not know, so that's where things get fuzzy. Different jewelry is alloyed differently, such as the white gold you have. There are different ways to make white gold however for the most part gold or white gold should not have a problem with the chlorine. Nickel is very slow to react with chlorine in a molten state, and I don't think you would see a reaction as a solid.

Silver jewelry on the other hand is made often by alloying in copper which does react with chlorine. Also some jewelry is silver coated, so a scratch in the silver will expose the base metal whatever that may be.

If you know specifically what you jewelry is I can tell you if you have any issues with chlorine.

2015-05-07 3:58 PM

So, how many people just looked under their wedding rings?

I did.

No smudge. But I did find a stick of Wrigley's and $.13
2015-05-07 4:03 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jhaack39 So, how many people just looked under their wedding rings? I did. No smudge. But I did find a stick of Wrigley's and $.13

I didn't.  

(I don't wear one since the divorce) 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yay science -- could leftover chlorine on my skin be causing "gold smudge" under my jewelry? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chlorine and dry skin

Started by sharonlb
Views: 2805 Posts: 14

2014-01-16 8:41 AM sharonlb

Chlorine Rash, Dry Itchy Skin, Moisturisers

Started by ENP
Views: 5679 Posts: 11

2009-09-08 11:28 AM Livestrong191

Bad sensitive skin or allergic to chlorine?

Started by crea0029
Views: 7648 Posts: 14

2018-01-14 11:20 PM nehaskino

Chlorine, skin & hair

Started by robin314159
Views: 1737 Posts: 12

2006-02-03 10:54 AM Atlantia

Chlorine and Dry skin

Started by tractoral
Views: 1433 Posts: 14

2004-04-15 10:16 PM snikpos