General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles issues pre-HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-09 11:23 PM

Subject: Achilles issues pre-HIM
Hi all, long time lurker here, first time poster. I'm doing my first HIM mid July but haven't been able to run in 4 weeks thanks to Achilles problems- mix of tendinitis/tendinosis, and the way it's going, not thinking I'll be running for another few weeks. I'm seeing a PT Monday so hoping for a miracle cure but well see...in the mean time I'm starting to freak out about it. Background- I swam and ran in college, still swim 12000+ yds/week so not at all concerned about the swim. Bike is usually my weakest leg but I've been doing an indoor cycling class 2-3 times/week all winter and I've started biking to work a few times a week (25 miles round trip) with longer rides on weekends (did 48 miles at around 19 mph comfortably today), so I'm feeling decently confident about the bike. I'm starting to get really worried about the run though. I did well in a couple sprints last summer on very little running but 5k is a lot different than a half marathon...
What advice do you have on my best course of action/any of you have experience racing long on very little run training? Long bike rides seem to irritate my Achilles (not as much as running but always kinda tight after an hour or so) so I feel like I should probably cut out cycling as well for a bit, but I'm afraid to stop because I don't want to lose all the gains I've been making the past few months. On the other hand, I'm still 10 weeks out so I could potentially take a week off now and hope it cures itself and I can get in a good 8 weeks of training before tapering.
Any advice you have is welcome!

2015-05-10 3:45 PM
in reply to: Rem91

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: Achilles issues pre-HIM

I think you should be doing whatever is necessary to allow you Achilles to heal fully.  If that means taking time off training completely then I would do that, even if it means rescheduling your HIM.  It would be better to postpone than to keep training, making the injury worse, still not being able to compete and being left with longer lasting damage.  Hopefully though, a short amount of time off now will allow you to continue training properly.

One thing that has helped me in the past with Achilles problems is to lower my seat height slightly.  It seems ease any aching in the Achilles.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles issues pre-HIM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

PRE on bike + HR != PRE during run + HR during training

Started by Tracker09
Views: 883 Posts: 3

2013-04-17 2:32 PM Tracker09

strained achilles with 4 days to go

Started by 2moremiles
Views: 1150 Posts: 10

2012-10-19 4:12 PM FF Stock

Achilles strain

Started by 2moremiles
Views: 2857 Posts: 9

2012-07-06 6:38 PM Dan Estrada

Pre pre planning for an IM

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 1001 Posts: 12

2008-08-25 7:39 PM Rogillio

IM Pre-race feeding

Started by oipolloi
Views: 976 Posts: 10

2005-10-31 8:23 AM oipolloi
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 15, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Six weeks ago I felt a tug on my achilles during a treadmill run. I had really been finding my stride the last few weeks ramping up mileage again for the running season.

date : June 7, 2013
comments : 0
Pre-diabetes is a very common and treatable condition. Through your physical activity and appropriate diet choices, you have already taken many steps to delay or avoid progression to type 2 diabetes.
date : May 9, 2011
comments : 2
Achilles Tendonitis is one of the most common running injuries due to overtraining. In this video, a sports medicine doctor diagnoses and provides a treatment plan.

date : September 16, 2010
comments : 1
Everytime I up my run mileage I get injured. As I train I seem to inevitably get pulled calves, IT band syndrome then achilles issues. What can I do?
date : February 22, 2010
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.

date : February 16, 2009
comments : 2
What you should know about Achilles tendinopathy to prevent its occurrence and to stop it in its tracks before it stops you.
date : November 4, 2007
I've been told I have laxity in my tendons which sets me up to be more prone to overuse injuries. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate my chronic achilles pain?

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.