General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first tri and I don't feel prepared Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-10 11:37 PM

Subject: My first tri and I don't feel prepared
im doing my first tri in 2 weeks in Austin. It is the Olympic distance. At first my training got hectic and then I had my first kid, work and school got crazy and training was not regular. So here 2 weeks before I'm quite nervous. Does anyone have any suggestions, tips and/or 2 week workout plan to get me ready?

2015-05-10 11:38 PM
in reply to: #5114327

Subject: RE: My first tri and I don't feel prepared
I meant to say training was going well and then things got hectic
2015-05-11 10:05 AM
in reply to: molivi311

User image

Extreme Veteran
Being 2 weeks out the fitness is basically already there. Not much will get you prepared now except maybe a little transition practice, getting used to a bike off the swim and a run off the bike.

By now I am doing the odd peak workout and tapering to be well rested for the race.
2015-05-11 10:11 AM

New user
It depends on how much training you actually got done. Can you post your last couple of weeks of training?

If you're under trained for the olympic, you might ask the RD if you can switch to the sprint instead. The big thing I'd be worried about is the swim. If you're comfortable doing the swim in open water, you can probably pull the rest of it off, but be prepared to walk if you have to. If you're worried about the swim I would suggest skipping the race, or switching to the sprint or the duathlon if they have one.
2015-05-11 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Sorry, no magical 2 week training plan here. But I do have an important piece of advice that I got when I started this sport a few years back. Always follow these rule:

1. Have fun.
2. Do your best.
3. Have fun.

Not much went right in my first tri. I hate running. Tried to ramp up too fast and injured both Achilles tendons. I ran a total of four days in the four months leading up to my first. Then on race day they cancelled the swim (my strength) due to bad water quality and added an opening run. I came in next to last on the first run. It was awful.

I managed a good ride and a slightly better second run. But I kept those rules in mind. I finished, had a great time and love the sport.

So leave the worrying behind and when in doubt, refer to rule number 1.
2015-05-11 1:41 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Regular
Oregon
yeah...your level of fitness is not going to change. in fact, most plans have you tapering off during the last 2 weeks.

At this point, I'd focus on trying to improve your comfort and confidence.

for most new triathletes, the swim is their weakest sport/biggest fear. so that is probably going to be the biggest bang for your buck in the next 2 weeks is building your confidence for the swim. if you race is open water (most olympics are) then get as much open water practice as possible in. and do a few "brick" workouts where you can practice your transitions. do a couple of swim/bike combos and a couple of bike/run combos. they don't need to be long distances....just practicing the transition will help you a lot with your confidence and speed.

2015-05-12 4:37 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I'm assuming you are not a pro, so I think this is the best advice:

Originally posted by Stuartap
1. Have fun.
2. Do your best.
3. Have fun.
2015-05-12 8:48 AM

User image

Covington
Good luck. I am thinking about doing an OLY as my first race too so I am anxious to hear about your race and see how it goes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My first tri and I don't feel prepared Rss Feed