General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Griskus Olympic Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-16 8:57 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland
Subject: Griskus Olympic Tri
Hi.
I'm heading up to CT for the Griskus Oly tri from my home in Maryland.
I was wondering if anyone can give me some intel on the course. I'm expecting hills, and lots of them, on both the bike and the run. Steep? Long rollers? Short and choppy?
I've seen some graphics on websites, but wondered what the real skinny is.
I'm also am on the fence for road or tri bike. The TT bike has a standard crank, the road a compact.
Any info would be welcome. Thanks.

2015-05-18 7:42 PM
in reply to: 7rider

Subject: RE: Griskus Olympic Tri
Hi,
Congrats for taking on the Griskus Oly! It is a beautiful, beautiful course and a fun race! I live a couple miles from the race start and have ridden the course countless times. It is a mix of rollers, with a couple long, steady climbs, and a couple short, steep ones. Basically, it has every kind of climb you could want! It is challenging but the views are worth every turn of the pedals, The elevation gain is 1,995 feet of climbing in 24 miles according to Garmin. As for which bike to bring, I suggest the TT bike if you are a strong rider and used to climbing on it. But, if you have not done extensive climbing, your run legs will appreciate the compact on the road bike! Hope this helps!!!!
2015-05-20 9:49 AM
in reply to: hed4thehills

User image

Regular
Maryland
This helps a lot! Thanks.
I've been taking the TT bike on some of my local hills, so I hope to use that bike.
BTW - I grew up in Naugatuck and learned to swim and sail at Quassy. Much family still in the area - so this will be a homecoming for me! Love the area.
2015-05-21 6:34 AM

Originally posted by 7rider

This helps a lot! Thanks.
I've been taking the TT bike on some of my local hills, so I hope to use that bike.
BTW - I grew up in Naugatuck and learned to swim and sail at Quassy. Much family still in the area - so this will be a homecoming for me! Love the area.

Fellow Naugatuck-ian here and also the RD, glad you'll be with us 7rider! Hed4thehills answer has some good stuff there.

• I would personally make the decision based on what kind of race shape I was in. If training has gone well and I thought I could put up some decent numbers, TT bike for sure. Not so great shape but still wanting to do the event, Road bike.

If you have a chance to pre-ride, Route 61 south out of Bethlehem center will see CTDOT patching in a couple of weeks, but for now it's pretty rough.
    My own approach riding it now is to check behind for no cars and come out and take the lane temporarily to ride the smooth parts of the lane on the downhill, return to the right when it's safe. (all within CT traffic law)

Western District DOT guys are great, it's a Litchfield crew, and they know our course. A friday night T-storm took a couple of trees down on the course a couple years back, and here were the DOT guys on the scene with our bike course map with them, cutting and clearing the trees, being sure to give it an extra look for debris. Not bad!

Best of luck, say hello on race day!
    -Tom
    2015-05-22 3:28 PM
    in reply to: twilkas

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
    Is the bike course the same as the challenge series race?
    2015-05-24 9:02 PM
    in reply to: navybeaver

Originally posted by navybeaver

Is the bike course the same as the challenge series race?

Negative navybeaver.
    It heads west out of Quassy, crosses Route6 in Woodbury center on it's way to some very nice terrain in Bethlehem. (route 47north/ to route 132north)
    Has a flavor all its own that capitalizes on some of the best the area has to offer, gets right out into less populated rural riding.

Here's a link to MapMyride and a printable pdf course map:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/442754418

and

http://www.patgriskustri.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/printableol...

Hope you'll be with us!

Best, Tom

2015-05-26 6:01 PM
    in reply to: #5116008

User image

Regular
    Maryland
    Thanks, Tom

I just did a 55 miler in southern PA with all non-stop rollers and 4600' gain and I'll be in the Catoctins this weekend dragging my bike up those mountains. I may send my sister the route PDF. She's in Watertown and perhaps I can get her to do a little auto - recon for me this weekend.

Looking forward to auto great event.
    2015-05-29 3:12 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
    Signed up for the race today.

Last year was my first year doing Tri's. I did three Sprints last summer (Ridgefield, Niantic, Branford) and loved 'em.
    This will be my first Olympic distance race and I'm really looking forward to it. With that said, I expect that the hilly course will curb my enthusiasm a bit on race day.
    2015-06-04 6:39 PM
    in reply to: DJP_19

Originally posted by DJP_19

Signed up for the race today.

Last year was my first year doing Tri's. I did three Sprints last summer (Ridgefield, Niantic, Branford) and loved 'em.
    This will be my first Olympic distance race and I'm really looking forward to it. With that said, I expect that the hilly course will curb my enthusiasm a bit on race day.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/734575381

welcome and good luck in your first olympic DJP, how'd the training go, feeling ready? i usually end my season with hammerfest in branford!

check the link above, considering a bike course change to avoid some dinged pave on route 61 south. this road combo is much better. i need to ride it monday, final decision mid week.

7rdr, navybeav, heads up too.
    2015-06-04 8:34 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
    Originally posted by twilkas

welcome and good luck in your first olympic DJP, how'd the training go, feeling ready? i usually end my season with hammerfest in branford!

Thanks! I loved the Hammerfest race. What a beautiful ocean setting for the run .

Since I'm at the midpoint of a 16 week HIM training plan, I'm fairly comfortable with my bike and run training. Truth be told, though, as an adult onset swimmer of 57 (that's no typo, lol) I still worry about the darn swims every single day. Have a couple OWS sessions scheduled, and that should help get my head in the game.

See you on the 20th!

Dave
    2015-06-08 8:28 PM
    in reply to: DJP_19

Originally posted by DJP_19

Originally posted by twilkas

Thanks! I loved the Hammerfest race. What a beautiful ocean setting for the run .

Since I'm at the midpoint of a 16 week HIM training plan, I'm fairly comfortable with my bike and run training. Truth be told, though, as an adult onset swimmer of 57 (that's no typo, lol) I still worry about the darn swims every single day. Have a couple OWS sessions scheduled, and that should help get my head in the game.

See you on the 20th!

Dave

Agree, Hfest run along the Sound is spectacular!

I like that term "adult onset swimmer"... truly a sport best learned as a kid, which luckily, i did. Not easy to take up as an adult, and i'm always impressed with those that do..because i understand that it's uncomfortable and even a little scary, but you keep at it. Much respect for you and all of your ilk. and i'm 54 DJP (55 in usat years, dec bday) so i'm about right there with you!

if you're nearby, we're doing an open water swim group out of the Quassy Sailing Center, open to all:
    http://qsailingcenter.org/2013%20PDF/QSC%20Open%20Water%20Swim%20Tr...

Re-do of the bike course map: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/739461349 23.7 miles, not a big step back in distance.

Sounds like you'll be just fine, HIM training block noted, good for you.

Ok, i'm about in the "red zone" of race directing, so may drop off here a bit... let's all kick butt Sat June 20th, anyone considering racing, reg link is here: https://endurancecui.active.com/event-reg/select-race?e=10565653

Full info for both Pat Griskus races, and Hopkins Vineyard Sprint Triathlon at Lake Waramaug --
    www.PatGriskusTri.com
    www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
    Race dates are:

14th Annual Pat Griskus Olympic Triathlon/Duathlon
    Saturday June 20th 2015, 7am start. Quassy Amusement Park in Middlebury CT 06762.
    Registration Link:
    https://endurancecui.active.com/event-reg/select-race?e=10565653

29th Annual Pat Griskus Sprint Triathlon, Wed eve July 8th 2015, 6pm start, sign up for this iconic race today!
    Registration Link:
    https://endurancecui.active.com/event-reg/select-race?e=10545152

Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 18th 2015, 8am start, New Preston CT , Wine Festival post race!
    Registration Link:
    https://endurancecui.active.com/event-reg/select-race?e=10885551

2015-06-12 3:22 PM

User image

Regular
    Maryland
    Probably unlikely to get our RD to respond to this thread at this late date, but....

Do any of you know if there is or will be a practice swim at Quassy - perhaps the day before?

2015-06-15 2:37 PM

Originally posted by 7rider

Probably unlikely to get our RD to respond to this thread at this late date, but....

Do any of you know if there is or will be a practice swim at Quassy - perhaps the day before?

7ridr, if you're in town by thurs, a group will swim from Quassy Sailing Center at 7am, ask for Dave, i'm sure he'll give you a drop-in rate...it's an ongoing tues/thurs swim group. race course wont be available until race morning.
    good luck!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Griskus Olympic Tri Rss Feed