General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you carry a flat tire changing kit during your Tri Race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-05-25 5:55 PM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: RE: Do you carry a flat tire changing kit during your Tri Race?

Originally posted by Sidney Porter You should be able to stick a tube, Co2 inflator and a tire iron up under the seat w/o a saddle bag. I get the fact that it is going to cost you 3-5 minutes and if you were expecting to podium that could make or break the race but walking in socks or cycling shoes is not fun. For those that don't know how to change a tube. Watch a video and learn it is not hard. In my opinion it is a life skill for bike riders.

Any suggestions on how to affix the tube/CO2 and tire levers under the seat?  

I use a sticky pod in training while wearing a regular cycling jersey however it doesn't fit in a tri top....

I prefer to not use a bike bag and have seen plenty of athletes affix their tools to their seat/frame however I've never tried it.  Tips welcomed!!

2015-05-25 6:16 PM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by TriMike

Zip-ties are your friend. before I had integrated storage in my top/downtube I used to keep a couple of Co2 zip-tied to my saddle rails. here is my ironman setup from several years ago when I still ran tubulars:

Untitled

Pre-glued tubular rolled up with an inflator and razor blade inside. Held on with a toe strap. Tire lever, 2x Co2, and pin deflator zip-tied under the seat.

2015-05-25 7:31 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by dfroelich
Originally posted by brigby1

Sure hope this much thought is going into training too.

Hahaha...maybe, maybe not! The difference is that this little problem actually has a clear cut, analytically derived answer. Whether I ride 30 hilly miles tomorrow with lots of starts and stops or pop on the trainer for some IWBMATTKYT, I don't even know how to gauge which will give the better training effect. There's no good wolfram/alpha calculator for that, unfortunately.

Well, you can get a decent estimate on the savings, but much of the discussion is more about the value of this savings. It's not monetary in this case, but what is reasonable in being able to take care of getting oneself safely around the course. Anyway, I did find the earlier emphasis on "everything I can" a bit humorous, as in a bit over the top. Especially when so many amateurs could stand to look at their training some more even though it's rather tough (at best) to quantify it to the same degree. I gain more confidence from this than anything else. Plus in being more confident that I can get myself around safely (eg, carrying a flat kit), I'll have more focus on the execution by not having other thoughts wander into my mind. It's easier for me to go harder with that peace of mind. One of the ways people find motivation differently I guess.

Haha, yeah...preparation before race day is hard though, and therefore easy to cut it short. On the day of the race however, if I think I can cut a bit of weight to make up for a ride I skipped...hmmm.
I had another TT yesterday, 15 miles and dead flat. Since there were only 8 people in my cat and points for the series go 10 deep...I took the kit! I smooshed it into my DSW bento. I didn't need it and wasn't within 1.5 seconds of the guy in front of me...so I'm glad I had it. The peace of mind was nice...but I would've been pouting afterwards if I was close enough to pick up another spot, haha!

2015-05-25 7:38 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by TankBoy

Zip-ties are your friend. before I had integrated storage in my top/downtube I used to keep a couple of Co2 zip-tied to my saddle rails. here is my ironman setup from several years ago when I still ran tubulars:

Untitled

Pre-glued tubular rolled up with an inflator and razor blade inside. Held on with a toe strap. Tire lever, 2x Co2, and pin deflator zip-tied under the seat.

I'm wondering how you pop off the zip ties if needed??  In order to feel comfortable nothing falls out during the ride I'd want them to be seriously tight..

I'm thinking of taping together my tube, CO2, adapter and tools, then taping that to the seat or seat post.

Thanks for the pic.

2015-05-25 8:14 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Confirmed. There is WAY too much overthinking in this thread.
2015-05-25 8:26 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon

Untitled

I'm wondering how you pop off the zip ties if needed??  In order to feel comfortable nothing falls out during the ride I'd want them to be seriously tight..

I'm thinking of taping together my tube, CO2, adapter and tools, then taping that to the seat or seat post.

Thanks for the pic.

I'm betting the razor would be used to pop the zip ties.

2015-05-25 8:26 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by TankBoy Confirmed. There is WAY too much overthinking in this thread.

Not really.... It's just a discussion with room for a lot of opinions and ideas...

It would be too easy and definitely boring to just slap a bag on the seat...

2015-05-26 7:17 AM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by dfroelich

Untitled

Thanks for the pic.

I'm betting the razor would be used to pop the zip ties.

zipties just slide off the cartridge with a little push when you need them to. The razor blade is to cut the tubular off the rim in case of a flat.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you carry a flat tire changing kit during your Tri Race? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Do you carry a spare Tire(during IM race)

Started by dkahns51
Views: 3230 Posts: 21

2013-06-21 7:12 AM mcmanusclan5

First flat tire - repair kit help? Pages: 1 2

Started by joestop74
Views: 6706 Posts: 28

2012-10-25 1:28 PM bufordt

Help!! Cannot change flat tire

Started by dbw27
Views: 1412 Posts: 19

2009-04-26 1:02 PM jimmyb

How to change a flat back tire?

Started by billsfan200474
Views: 1479 Posts: 6

2008-03-15 2:30 PM billsfan200474

Free advice for those that fear changing their flat tires

Started by Spokes
Views: 1369 Posts: 13

2007-07-14 3:08 PM JoshKaptur
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : September 9, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 10
This video will go through everything you need to know to change your flat tire. See one being changed in about a minute - no reason to lose a lot of time on race day if you practiced.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What are the essential mechanical/maintenance skills that I as someone who rides a bike should learn how to do myself?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.