General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim - GR Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-17 1:14 PM

User image

Subject: Open Water Swim - GR
I went for an open water swim in Dean Lake today (GR area). It was definitely chilly, but not bad. Unfortunately I didn't have a thermometer, but swam in a sleeveless wetsuit with just a normal cap from a Tri last year. The lake is reasonably shallow with a max depth of 25 or 30'. I could definitely tell when I found the deeper area.

2015-05-26 10:32 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: RE: Open Water Swim - GR

Originally posted by Toefuzz I went for an open water swim in Dean Lake today (GR area). It was definitely chilly, but not bad. Unfortunately I didn't have a thermometer, but swam in a sleeveless wetsuit with just a normal cap from a Tri last year. The lake is reasonably shallow with a max depth of 25 or 30'. I could definitely tell when I found the deeper area.

Regrettably I haven't made it into open water yet this season and I have my first race on Saturday 5/30 (Greenville).

Do you swim Dean Lake often?  I live near it, near 3-mile and Leffingwell.  

2015-05-26 11:57 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by TriMike

Originally posted by Toefuzz I went for an open water swim in Dean Lake today (GR area). It was definitely chilly, but not bad. Unfortunately I didn't have a thermometer, but swam in a sleeveless wetsuit with just a normal cap from a Tri last year. The lake is reasonably shallow with a max depth of 25 or 30'. I could definitely tell when I found the deeper area.

Regrettably I haven't made it into open water yet this season and I have my first race on Saturday 5/30 (Greenville).

Good luck in Greenville this weekend, Mike. I'll be there doing it for MyTeamTriumph. Looks like we're going to get a dip in weather temps for that day unfortunately.
2015-05-26 1:08 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Good luck in Greenville this weekend, Mike. I'll be there doing it for MyTeamTriumph. Looks like we're going to get a dip in weather temps for that day unfortunately.

Good luck to you as well Brad.  I was looking at a weather app and it looks like a chance of thunderstorms too... Hopefully it will miss us..

I'm actually doing an aquabike for Greenville.. I have a herniated disk that's keeping me from running however the RD will allow my times to stand for the swim and bike so I at least can see how I did for those portions... It will be strange to get off the bike and hang out vs. running....

2015-05-29 1:21 PM
in reply to: #5116113

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
No sarcasm here, but why not go for a nice 3.1 mile walk after your aqua bike? Guarantee you wouldn't finish last even so.
2015-05-29 1:45 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by MSU_Brad No sarcasm here, but why not go for a nice 3.1 mile walk after your aqua bike? Guarantee you wouldn't finish last even so.

Hmm... I'd be lying if I didn't say the competitor in me would struggle with the idea that people seeing me walking would think I'm doing it because of fatigue (out of shape, going out too fast etc)..

It's a really good idea, I just don't know how I'd do with a 35+ minute 5k...

2015-05-30 4:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
Trimike I was working the transition. I remember you.

Edited by fsr402 2015-05-30 4:57 PM
2015-05-31 1:27 PM
in reply to: fsr402

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Originally posted by fsr402Trimike I was working the transition. I remember you. I was the guy who came in on the bike and didn't know what to do with myself as others went out for the run..
2015-05-31 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
Yup, I was clapping for you as you were coming out of T2 and you told me that you were just doing an Aquabike and needed to turn in your chip. I was confused as I didn't know they had an aquabike. lol
2015-06-01 6:55 AM
in reply to: fsr402

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by fsr402 Yup, I was clapping for you as you were coming out of T2 and you told me that you were just doing an Aquabike and needed to turn in your chip. I was confused as I didn't know they had an aquabike. lol

Ha!  I remember you too, and I remember the look you gave me...  

It was definitely strange to rack my bike and then be done while everyone else was heading out for the run...

Thanks for volunteering... It's such a nice race to kick off the season...

2015-06-01 7:04 AM

User image

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner... I must have missed your response.

My parent's have a place on Dean Lake so I am probably in the water 2 - 3x per month. It's not the greatest lake for swimming b/c it's made up of a bunch of narrow fingers with lots of pinch points for boat traffic. I try to swim around the outside and have a bright inflatable orange thing I pull behind to make myself visible. My wife said she could see me from about across the lake, so that was a good thing.

How was the weather for Greenville? I woke up that morning and ran outside and it wasn't as bad as I expected... slight drizzle, lower temps, and some humidity. Sunday morning was just nasty though... decided to ride indoors and reset my ftp with trainer road since I use virtual power and have a new (borrowed) trainer.

2015-06-02 1:16 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Toefuzz

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner... I must have missed your response. My parent's have a place on Dean Lake so I am probably in the water 2 - 3x per month. It's not the greatest lake for swimming b/c it's made up of a bunch of narrow fingers with lots of pinch points for boat traffic. I try to swim around the outside and have a bright inflatable orange thing I pull behind to make myself visible. My wife said she could see me from about across the lake, so that was a good thing. How was the weather for Greenville? I woke up that morning and ran outside and it wasn't as bad as I expected... slight drizzle, lower temps, and some humidity. Sunday morning was just nasty though... decided to ride indoors and reset my ftp with trainer road since I use virtual power and have a new (borrowed) trainer.

I've never swam in Dean Lake but a guy I met at a Friday night tri group out on Murray lake said he lives on Dean Lake and does most of his open water swimming there.  I'm not a fan of mixing with boat traffic, good idea on the pull behind "orange thing"...

Greenville was great... The rain held off until after the race, as we were packing up transition... Great lake for the swim, good clear water...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim - GR Rss Feed