General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Places to Ride in the Bay Area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-17 9:30 PM

User image

Fullerton, CA
Subject: Places to Ride in the Bay Area
Can anyone from the Bay Area advise me on some good places to ride? I'm heading up for work but I'll be lugging my tri bike with me. I'm really hoping to stick to dedicated bike paths if possible to stay away from any cars/traffic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2015-05-18 10:57 AM
in reply to: bmin88

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Places to Ride in the Bay Area
Where abouts in the Bay area? I live in the Silicon Valley and can offer some suggestion but if you are going to be in San Francisco or Marin County that wouldn't be of much help. It would be like telling someone from Fullerton about great rides in Sherman Oaks.

If you are going to be down in this neck of the woods let me know and I can share a few ideas close to where you are.
2015-05-18 12:04 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Fullerton, CA
Thanks for the reply!
I'll be driving down from Sacramento and since my work schedule is somewhat flexible I can do the Silicon Valley area no problem.
I'm barely starting to recover from an accident a week ago, that's why I'm placing a premium on trying to find a dedicated bike path if possible, I have Hawaii 70.3 right around the corner so I need to stay as sharp as possible.
2015-05-18 2:55 PM
in reply to: bmin88

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
One suggestion would be the Coyote Creek Trail. It runs from Tully Rd in San Jose all the way down to Morgan Hill, about 18.5 miles. It is used a lot by cyclists but also pedestrians, so sometimes you do need to be cautious. Also in some places the road could use some upgrade but it is not bad. Mornings are generally a pretty good ride if you are looking to stay off the streets for the most part.

If you get down to Morgan Hill there are a lot of places to ride on the road. Because it is the home of Specialized Bikes there are a lot of riders out most days and probably hundreds on the weekends. Safety in numbers!

Beyond that, there are some group rides that you could drop in on.

I hope that helps.

2015-05-31 8:20 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by Stuartap Where abouts in the Bay area? I live in the Silicon Valley and can offer some suggestion but if you are going to be in San Francisco or Marin County that wouldn't be of much help. It would be like telling someone from Fullerton about great rides in Sherman Oaks. If you are going to be down in this neck of the woods let me know and I can share a few ideas close to where you are.

I'd be very interested to know where you ride.  I moved to Silicon Valley from Virginia in February and haven't figured out where to ride.  We are living in Redwood City, and I work in South San Francisco.  Willing to drive somewhere on weekend if necessary.

2015-06-13 5:32 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by Artemis

Originally posted by Stuartap Where abouts in the Bay area? I live in the Silicon Valley and can offer some suggestion but if you are going to be in San Francisco or Marin County that wouldn't be of much help. It would be like telling someone from Fullerton about great rides in Sherman Oaks. If you are going to be down in this neck of the woods let me know and I can share a few ideas close to where you are.

I'd be very interested to know where you ride.  I moved to Silicon Valley from Virginia in February and haven't figured out where to ride.  We are living in Redwood City, and I work in South San Francisco.  Willing to drive somewhere on weekend if necessary.

Up in your neck of the woods I would look at the crystal springs area in San Mateo/Belmont. The county actually closes the roads on Sunday mornings along the Crystal Springs Reservoir. Lots of riders but also lots of room. When the weather is good, which is most of the time, it's a great ride with options to ride north or south from there.

Accepting that I am a bit bias, there are great rides here in Morgan hill. A bit of a haul for you however. The reservoir ride around Uvas and Chesboro is one of the most ridden loops n the area. Did it today as part of a 40 mile ride with our cycling group. If I had to estimate I would say we at least another 200 riders on the 16 mile loop. We ride very Sat & Sun morning. Specialized is HQ'd here so lots of bikes on the road all the time.

If you want to venture down this far let me know.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Places to Ride in the Bay Area Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bay Area Computrainer Rides

Started by ericd256
Views: 1247 Posts: 5

2009-08-16 7:44 PM velcromom

Trail Running - SF Bay Area

Started by madkat
Views: 909 Posts: 2

2005-08-21 11:01 PM Mottyl

N. CA (bay area) people - OW Swim