General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Returning OWS Panic Attacks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-18 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Returning OWS Panic Attacks
I have done two Iron distance races, most recent one in Sept. My past two races I experienced a return of massive panic attacks in the water. Got my first DNF at HIM Nooga due to this.

Has anyone else experienced the return of OWS fear and how did you over come it. I am fine training, but when I get to a race, it hits.

2015-05-19 8:47 AM
in reply to: jteddy39.3

User image

Veteran
Somerset, PA
Subject: RE: Returning OWS Panic Attacks
Happens to me sometimes, usually if I'm wearing my wetsuit. About 100 yds into the swim I get the panic attack, feels like I can't breath. Lasts for a minute or two and then I'm back at it. Happened to me this past Sunday at an olympic tri. I just figure it'll happen form time to time and try to roll with it.
2015-05-19 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I get some anxiety when starting, but usually I am ok throughout the race.

for me, It depends on the course, the number of participants, how aggressive people are for the race, and the water conditions.

for example, if the course is well designed with ample room, I have little anxiety, but with a tight funnel, it's way more of a problem.

I try to not focus on the masses, and just in my little area. Clear goggles helps for me, as I feel more claustrophobic with darker/tinted ones.

Sometimes around the buoys it can be a bit crazy and that can set off the anxiety too.
2015-05-20 3:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Yep

I am a keen OW swimmer - doing 10ks as well as IM's

During the swim of IM Regensburg in 2011, I was pushed under and could not get back to the surface due to the crowds. At the finish I swam down and then up as fas as i could to burst through.

By the time I hit the surface I had a major panic on & thought my race was over.

I noticed a another swimmer in the same situation and we both moved to one side. I focused on him he focused on me - we let the thong pass (maybe 3 or 4mins) before calming down enough to continue (using yoga breathing exercises etc

When I got back into my swimming I just focused on the beet of my tempo trainer , as if it was a training swim - I ignored all else - it give me focus - and I started picking my way through the field and managed to exit the lake.

I actually got an IM PB that day - so from an almost DNF to a PB

The episode played on my mind for the my following IM distance race (2012 Outlaw) and I had a bit of a panic attack - but i kept telling myself I had got throu it - focus - focus - Ignore all --- I got through it

My next IM (Switzerland) was a not wetsuit event - a bit of focus and meditation before the swim and I was OK

What I'm trying to say, is, give it time focus on what is needed, and you will come out the other side

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Returning OWS Panic Attacks Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Push through or Time to Panic?

Started by jjamesw12
Views: 1345 Posts: 7

2014-06-01 9:56 AM TriMyBest

Returning to IM training after injury

Started by mrbeachbum2
Views: 1012 Posts: 3

2013-03-14 12:14 PM brown_dog_us

another question about post ironman return