General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike travel bag question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-19 3:59 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Bike travel bag question
I'm hoping to take my tri bike back to the US for the summer. One of the local bike shops can order this travel case as part of a larger order in time for me to get it before I go home. Otherwise not sure I'll be able to get anything locally beyond a cardboard box. It will cost me about $600 US to purchase the case and have it shipped here from Taiwan. My concerns are that it's not technically hard-sided case (it's "reinforced" whatever that means) and might not stand up to international air travel, and requires getting the rear wheel off. (I'm not great with getting it back on!) If it was a choice of this or a cardboard box, which would you go with? Hard case may not be an option, at least out of Vietnam. It would probably then be a matter of cardboard box out, getting a hard case in the US, and bringing it back like that.

http://www.evocusa.com/products/evoc-bike-travel-bag

(inside_bag_web_compact.jpg)

(red_bag_web_compact.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
inside_bag_web_compact.jpg (6KB - 5 downloads)
red_bag_web_compact.jpg (12KB - 6 downloads)

2015-05-19 8:29 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Bike travel bag question

I wouldn't let the rear wheel removal stop you.  That is a learned skill and will pay off when you have a rear flat on the side of the road some day  

I don't have any knowledge about the protection of using a soft-side case.  But what occurs to me is that you can definitely get cheaper and more plentiful options in the US.  I'd probably got the cardboard box route going out, and buy something in the US that you really want for the return trip.  

Just my two cents! 

2015-05-19 8:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

P.S. Will the local bike shop give you a box that a bike came shipped in?  That's the kind of cardboard box I would recommend due to the internal reinforments.  If you're just talking regular boxes, then I am not as sure. 

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2015-05-19 8:31 AM
2015-05-19 2:53 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

P.S. Will the local bike shop give you a box that a bike came shipped in?  That's the kind of cardboard box I would recommend due to the internal reinforments.  If you're just talking regular boxes, then I am not as sure. 

If you can do this and get any internal packing and the fork spacers that are shipped with the bike, it should survive the trip.  

Also consider wrapping the frame in cloth or foam pipe insulation.  If you cannot get the fork spacers, get some long bolts and some wing nuts.  Use one nut on the inside and a second on the outside to pinch the fork.  

2015-05-19 3:10 PM

User image

Not sure if this helps you get it from Taiwan to the US because you'd have to find a place to buy this first (this particular one is apparently discontinued but there's a link to the updated bike bag in this post): http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/02/how-i-travel-with-my-bike.html
2015-05-19 3:30 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

That's a really good bag! Seriously one of the best you can get.

I've travelled internationally with bikes in hard cases, soft cases, cardboard boxes, plastic bags and never had a problem. Will you use the bag again? If so and you can pony up the cash then get that, otherwise a cardboard box will do and it's likely free. You will have to remove your wheels to get your bikes in a cardboard box too. 

Edited by jeng 2015-05-19 3:33 PM

2015-05-19 5:46 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If I did the cardboard box it would be one of the boxes that bikes are shipped to Vietnam in from the factories. Have one already from my last race. It's pretty strong and lasts usually 3-4 trips, but I have had punctures (of box) in the past. I wrap most of the frame in bubble wr[ and get the fork protector from the LBS. Main concern is if it rains. (It will be rainy season here and en route in Hong Kong.) I have once had the box pretty much disintegrate on arrival from Singapore due to getting wet--I just assembled it in the airport, ditched the box, and put it in the taxi like I was headed to a race! Yes, I would definitely re-use the bag. Almost all my tris involve air travel. Going to look for hard cases at another shop this weekend and, of not, probably bite the bullet (or se use the box).

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-05-19 5:48 PM
2015-05-19 6:54 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I've used the cardboard boxes for bike touring and it is sure is handy to be able to ditch the box. If you are worried about rain, maybe you could cover the box in a large clear/light colored plastic bag?

The EVOC bag is definitely one of the best ones, but also one of the pricier ones.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike travel bag question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike travel bag

Started by erik.norgaard
Views: 1095 Posts: 3

2012-08-23 5:28 PM audiojan

Bike travel case question

Started by stevepiv
Views: 1157 Posts: 15

2012-01-03 4:33 PM g_shotts

Bike Travel Bag - Why Not This Cheap One?

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 1115 Posts: 8

2011-08-29 2:46 PM TriAya

Wheel bags for airline travel?

Started by wstchstrTriathlete
Views: 498 Posts: 1

2010-11-30 2:13 PM wstchstrTriathlete

bike box/bike travel questions

Started by hils
Views: 1501 Posts: 13

2004-05-07 5:39 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 0
I was pretty excited to test out a triathlon-specific gear bag. I'm on the lookout for something functional, comfortable, and maybe even a bit stylish.

date : July 16, 2012
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Homestays vs hotels, eating and flying with your bike.
date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.

date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?
date : November 14, 2004
author : Glenn
I have seen cyclists go to a bike shop the day before a race expecting their problem to be fixed, only to be told the shop cannot complete the job in time.