BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-05-21 11:37 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)
Oh and yeah, I'd put long hill reps in a strength/endurance combo type of workout

2015-05-21 11:50 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Asalzwed I had a really great workout last night. We rarely get to run 'fast ' but it was warm out so coach has us do reps. We were doing 400s, cutting down the pace from 88 to 84 over 9 reps. I was feeling good and coach moved me to the faster group. I was even able to exceed that a little and did the middle reps around 82 then move into 80, 79,78 to finish with 12 reps instead of just 9. With no pressing races on the calendar it was a good time to let er rip. I was surprised to see speed developing a little when my focus is very strength focused.

That's pretty blazing fast.  I do find that interesting that with the strength focus you surpassed your speed expectations.  Unfortunately, I held closer to conventional wisdom last night and the extra strength I've worked on did not translate to additional speed.  I changed my weekly 3 mile tempo run to 6 x800.  I felt strong but the leg speed was not there.  I've ramped up my cycling too and that always seems to have a negative effect on my speed.  I think I'll start adding an R pace session periodically so my legs start regaining some memory of a semblance of speed.   

Since "strength" is applied to almost everything nowadays (making the term almost useless as a descriptor), what difference in the strength work did each of you have? Adrienne, I think you run hard on some hills?

With the exception of Saturday, no, not really. My hills have been in the fom of actual mountain racing (hard effort but closer to threshold effort as they have been hour ish races) and long hill sessions, more sustained paces over longer distances. I've done a few post workout sessions but not regularly. Which is why I am surprised
If you file all that under "strength" of some sort then is what I asking about. Sort of remembering that for you strength running was getting onto hills in some fashion. And I'm thinking that might have been the difference in what you and Steve had seen. Have you heard the expression "hills are speed work in disguise"?

My "strength" work has been fairly similar to Adrienne's although not as much racing (a few) but more long grinding ascents of 1,000 to 2,000 ft. gain.  I think of it as gaining torque vs. horsepower.  I think it is a good base to adapt some speedwork into which I'll do cautiously and gradually.  I think hills as speed work in disguise is valid if you are doing the supporting quality work which I've limited in pursuits of my HIM coming up.  I also think shorter more intense hill repeats serve speed better than the grinding I've done.  Most of the trail races around here have long sustained climbs thus the focus there (specificity of training). 

2015-05-21 11:51 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed I had a really great workout last night. We rarely get to run 'fast ' but it was warm out so coach has us do reps. We were doing 400s, cutting down the pace from 88 to 84 over 9 reps. I was feeling good and coach moved me to the faster group. I was even able to exceed that a little and did the middle reps around 82 then move into 80, 79,78 to finish with 12 reps instead of just 9. With no pressing races on the calendar it was a good time to let er rip. I was surprised to see speed developing a little when my focus is very strength focused.

That's pretty blazing fast.  I do find that interesting that with the strength focus you surpassed your speed expectations.  Unfortunately, I held closer to conventional wisdom last night and the extra strength I've worked on did not translate to additional speed.  I changed my weekly 3 mile tempo run to 6 x800.  I felt strong but the leg speed was not there.  I've ramped up my cycling too and that always seems to have a negative effect on my speed.  I think I'll start adding an R pace session periodically so my legs start regaining some memory of a semblance of speed.   

Since "strength" is applied to almost everything nowadays (making the term almost useless as a descriptor), what difference in the strength work did each of you have? Adrienne, I think you run hard on some hills?

With the exception of Saturday, no, not really. My hills have been in the fom of actual mountain racing (hard effort but closer to threshold effort as they have been hour ish races) and long hill sessions, more sustained paces over longer distances. I've done a few post workout sessions but not regularly. Which is why I am surprised
If you file all that under "strength" of some sort then is what I asking about. Sort of remembering that for you strength running was getting onto hills in some fashion. And I'm thinking that might have been the difference in what you and Steve had seen. Have you heard the expression "hills are speed work in disguise"?

yeah, I understand the hill work is filed under quality but no specificity to say, fast turnover or simply operating at von max. I don't expect I'm getting slower or anything, just surprised I can do r pace faster than my previous highest vdot dictates

Time for a new vdot.

2015-05-21 12:00 PM

User image

Seattle

ALright, as I was doing my hair pondering the discussion of speed and strength I came up with this :

In my head I almost see speed and strength as opposites. Ideally, you want to be both but the event or your "A" race kind of determines the balance. I see speed as a high turnover, lightness, efficiency and economy. When I think of strength I see more "hard" running, grit, power up hills...like low end torque.

Then I start thinking of the kinds of runners I think of when I think of speed, and when I think of strength. And that's when my ideas, at least as they sit in the "traditional" sense, fall apart.

Because I see speed as

and 

and when I think of strength I think of

and  

Sooooooooo.....I guess I am azzbackwards?

2015-05-21 12:49 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

My "strength" work has been fairly similar to Adrienne's although not as much racing (a few) but more long grinding ascents of 1,000 to 2,000 ft. gain.  I think of it as gaining torque vs. horsepower.  I think it is a good base to adapt some speedwork into which I'll do cautiously and gradually.  I think hills as speed work in disguise is valid if you are doing the supporting quality work which I've limited in pursuits of my HIM coming up.  I also think shorter more intense hill repeats serve speed better than the grinding I've done.  Most of the trail races around here have long sustained climbs thus the focus there (specificity of training). 

Heh, so, we did both use the idea of torque.

2015-05-21 1:00 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I thought strength work was squats and deadlifts

2015-05-21 1:04 PM

User image

Seattle

yeah, I understand the hill work is filed under quality but no specificity to say, fast turnover or simply operating at von max. I don't expect I'm getting slower or anything, just surprised I can do r pace faster than my previous highest vdot dictates

Time for a new vdot.

I would love that! But I feel like I need to prove it in a race. Perhaps the workout was enough but it seems like cheating! 

2015-05-21 1:04 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Jet Black I thought strength work was squats and deadlifts

Haha well, you're not wrong!

2015-05-21 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I have thought a lot about this since studying JD, training with a purpose, and specific physical adaptations from different types of training sessions.  And I do view strength and speed in running as somewhat mutually exclusive.  Speedwork alone will not make you a strong runner capable of trail racing and hill/trail training alone will not necessary give you great footspeed for say a road 5k or the track.

My training phases have really centered on one or the other without a lot of intertwining of the two.  This was geared towards specificity of training.  I had limited time to run so when I was looking at some of the trail races in the early spring my "quality" sessions were mostly climbs.  Last early fall, I was looking at some road races so was following JD 5k- 15k plan which was mostly speed/interval stuff.  Maybe when I get past my HIM or in the early Fall I'll see if I can incorporate both into my running.  Not enough sessions available in the week now with swimming and biking.

2015-05-21 1:12 PM

User image

Seattle

I have thought a lot about this since studying JD, training with a purpose, and specific physical adaptations from different types of training sessions.  And I do view strength and speed in running as somewhat mutually exclusive.  Speedwork alone will not make you a strong runner capable of trail racing and hill/trail training alone will not necessary give you great footspeed for say a road 5k or the track.

My training phases have really centered on one or the other without a lot of intertwining of the two.  This was geared towards specificity of training.  I had limited time to run so when I was looking at some of the trail races in the early spring my "quality" sessions were mostly climbs.  Last early fall, I was looking at some road races so was following JD 5k- 15k plan which was mostly speed/interval stuff.  Maybe when I get past my HIM or in the early Fall I'll see if I can incorporate both into my running.  Not enough sessions available in the week now with swimming and biking.

Yes. I think we see things pretty similarly.

2015-05-21 1:26 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I would love that! But I feel like I need to prove it in a race. Perhaps the workout was enough but it seems like cheating! 

Yep, got to prove it in a race.  Sure you don't want to run 5000 on the track with the big guns?

2015-05-21 1:28 PM

User image

Seattle

I would love that! But I feel like I need to prove it in a race. Perhaps the workout was enough but it seems like cheating! 

Yep, got to prove it in a race.  Sure you don't want to run 5000 on the track with the big guns?

Well that's not really true, JD says you can increase after 6 weeks. 

I can't. Females need a 16:10 or faster to qualify for the elite race. I would have to compete in the open race.

I am heavily considering running the mile though. Like 90%

2015-05-21 1:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
I'm following the BarryP (of slowtwitch) plan now, which is basically run more (run more frequently at a slower pace so you can run more miles). Build your weekly mileage until you're 12-16 weeks out from your A race. Then replace one of your medium distance runs with a threshold workout a week. When 6-8 weeks out replace the other medium distance run with race pace intervals plus some speed work if you want.

I'm only a few weeks into the base phase, so we'll see how it goes. But so far so good. Feeling more like a runner for sure.

Edited by Jet Black 2015-05-21 1:36 PM
2015-05-21 1:38 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I can't. Females need a 16:10 or faster to qualify for the elite race. I would have to compete in the open race.

I probably got that from Dale not JD.

Any mile time predictions or do you prefer to keep that to yourself?

2015-05-21 1:40 PM

User image

Denver, CO

What's making you hesitate?

2015-05-21 1:41 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Jet Black I'm following the BarryP (of slowtwitch) plan now, which is basically run more (run more frequently at a slower pace so you can run more miles). Build your weekly mileage until you're 12-16 weeks out from your A race. Then replace one of your medium distance runs with a threshold workout a week. When 6-8 weeks out replace the other medium distance run with race pace intervals plus some speed work if you want. I'm only a few weeks into the base phase, so we'll see how it goes. But so far so good. Feeling more like a runner for sure.

I always liked the simplicity of BarryP. Glad you are doing it

2015-05-21 1:42 PM

User image

Seattle

I probably got that from Dale not JD.

Any mile time predictions or do you prefer to keep that to yourself?

Hmmmm. I think my goal would be to go under 5:40. I think I am capable of closer to 5:30.

2015-05-21 1:46 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

What's making you hesitate?

A couple things. The biggest  being getting an actual quality session in. A mile will be hard yes, but it's not really going to provide any adaptations. If I did a workout the day before, it would leave me pretty tired for the race and I bet I am going to be really, really sore, so doing it the next day isn't really an option. So I will have to see if my coach has any ideas.

And I am not being overly anal...I don't mind missing a session here and there, I am just prioritizing my preparation for Nationals and I would like to consistently have 2 quality sessions a week. 

Second, Kara Goucher and Lauren Fleshman (and all their fans) are going to be there and suffering my way to a 5:38 last place mile finish is kind of embarrassing given the company.

2015-05-21 1:52 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black I thought strength work was squats and deadlifts

Haha well, you're not wrong!

That would be my preference. "Strength" has little meaning any more as so many have expanded its use to include just about everything.

2015-05-21 1:55 PM

Master
Northern IL

Heh, so, we did both use the idea of torque.

When you are moving there is a time element involved and power would be the relevant term. Adrienne, you can't run away from this.

2015-05-21 1:59 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, if you've been doing well with the workouts it tends to be safe to do so. It's not actually necessary to race though that's likely to give a decent picture. Being in one helps people to really give their best effort. Some people ... aren't so honest with themselves and might add like 4 points. Or forget how much they missed or the number of quality runs they back off on, etc. Should have a decent idea already just from how the workouts are going.

Edited by brigby1 2015-05-21 2:00 PM

2015-05-21 6:04 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyK

Everyone got some exciting stuff going on  for the long weekend?

Oh you doth toy with me, no long weekend here, yet. Edit: out of jealousy I just checked the calendar to find out when our next one is and HAPPY DANCE it's next weekend

Oh good. I'll be over for the sausage sizzle then (I finally figured out that's what you people call a barbecue)

On day 5 of nothing but tiny bites of cracker, rice, banana, white bread. Yesterday I added in a little bit of boiled chicken as well. That and electrolyte beverages are all I can handle right now (and sometimes not even then).

again huge thanks to everyone who checked in on me and supports me.

For those who don't know I'm being wiped out by, in my tradition of unspellable illnesses, amoebic dysentery.

Sadly it isn't even a beginning boost to racing weight since I've GAINED 2kg in the last week. (Not bloat--that's from gas--actually I'm a little bit dehydrated). Metabolism is way out of wonk. Actually, all systems are.

Back to Australia June 3rd, can't come soon enough, will fly to Jakarta as soon as I'm able to start citizenship application at the German embassy.

So just to confuse you even more most Australian's would say "do you wanna come round for a barbee?" A sausage sizzle is a large scale barbee often used as a fundraiser where you pay a couple of bucks for a sausage in bread with sauce (if it's really fancy you'll get onions too). We would love to have you come but it can't be for a barbee because we don't own one (shhhhh don't tell anyone they might throw us out of the country).

So glad you are moving on the moving, but why Germany? Is that because it's easier than Australia with your mum being from there?
2015-05-21 6:52 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
And there's me thinking a sausage sizzler was some kind of adult toy.
2015-05-21 9:09 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Darren - no comment (or at least none that I can write here). 

Ben, your comment on strength really resonated.  It's funny how even one's own consideration of the term can change.  Initially (as in, when I was younger), I thought of it along the lines of Sean's somewhat tongue in cheek comment (perfectly valid, of course).  Then it came to mean being able to hold a redline pace in a 5k to 10k distance race.  Now, in MY head currently (a scary place), it is more about work that translates into being able to hold pace through the HM at the end of HIM and not crump at mile 9.  But that's really only because that territory is new to me, I think, and "strength" work is what can get me further into the cave successfully...

I suppose that the next evolution of "strength" will be a longer course, as I'm getting only more grey/bald and it seems that longer vs. faster with age is the common progression...  Maybe.  Maybe not.

However, I think it's tough to use the word without a somewhat crazy amount of explanation anymore, as the above demonstrates the definitional difference within one person over only a decade or so (to Ben's original observation).

I now use terms more like "muscular endurance" to describe what "feels" like strength work in my current regime.  But that's just one approach.

Any thoughts on a better classification of the different types of work?  Even "speed work" is fraught on many levels...

OK - no more procrastinating and back to work (wow, these late nights are keeeeeling me!).

Matt

2015-05-21 9:35 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr And there's me thinking a sausage sizzler was some kind of adult toy.

I don't know if the obligatory follow-up post is quite safe enough. Adrienne, Kirsten?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66017 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27647 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11701 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 36771 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 65901 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.