BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-30 7:50 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

... fixie, aero road, climbing road, hardtail mtb, full suspension mtb, fat tire bike ...

2015-06-30 9:12 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

A few questions for the female Manatees that are putting in a lot of bike miles on tri bikes.  I know a few of us are having some issues with comfort in the saddle and I thought I'd get a discussion started on that. 

Saddle?

Shorts?

2015-06-30 9:17 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

A few questions for the female Manatees that are putting in a lot of bike miles on tri bikes.  I know a few of us are having some issues with comfort in the saddle and I thought I'd get a discussion started on that. 

Saddle?

Shorts?

I'll go first

Saddle:  Cobb V Flow Plus

Shorts: DeSoto 400 mile

2015-06-30 9:22 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by popsracer

What kind of gearing do you have on your bike?  I checked my wife's bike after her race (it's my old tri bike) and didn't realize there was a 11-23 cassette on there.  She had to walk two of the steepest hills.  She would kill me if she knew that I had an 11-28 sitting in my parts bin.

Good that you got out to check the course.  You'll get further up it each time out. Come race day it will be a piece of cake. 

I have a 12-26 cassette and 3 chain rings.  Should I try monkeying around with that a month out from my race?

With something like that, I wonder what the whole setup is. A 3 x 8 might not have as many cassette options. The rear deraileur may or may not be able to go much farther. I don't know what it would take to get a smaller chain ring on there.

I don't know a whole lot about bike equipment terminology.  By 3x8, do you mean 3 chain rings on the front and 8 gears on the back?  I have 9 on the back right now.  I'm thinking of upgrading my group set to 105 or Ultegra.  I know there's no point in getting old components just so I can stay with 9 gears when new group sets are for 10.  I was planning for upgrading in the Fall.  I'm thinking I want it sooner!!

If you are riding a triple ring, you are probably ahead of most as that generally provides for good climbing.  I don't think I'd mess with it.  Just ride as much as you can.

Yeah, I'd lean towards just leaving it. Was curious about maybe finding a little more with a cassette swap, but not sure you'd be able to just do that. Depending on what the rear derailleur is you might have to swap that out too if it was any more than 27 or 28t. Might already have a longer cage rear derailleur though since the front is a triple.

Also, generally speaking, if you're at the point of swapping out an entire groupset it's often worth considering just getting a new bike (read as "another" bike). Triples tend to be down in the lower end where you can really find some value for the money, and since you're in Colorado you may really want the triple. For an entire groupset swap to make sense it'd have to be an incredible deal to get and install it.

The reason I've thought about swapping out the groupset is that the brifters and front derailleur are Tiagra and rear derailleur is 105, plus it feels like there's a lot of play in the brifters no matter how recently it's been tuned up.  The bike has a carbon fork and seat post and I got it used $550, so I figured putting a little money into it would be worth it.  When I talked with the LBS where I bought it, they agreed.  I think the bike is a 2009 or so.  What do you think? 

A triple is harder to keep tuned that a double for sure.  The derailleur just has to travel more so it seems like you can get middle and little happy or middle a big happy but not all three.

Regarding the importance of front versus rear derailleur, I think that the rear is the more important of the two, isn't it? Do you have a problem changing the triple?

2015-06-30 9:23 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Jet Black

Originally posted by Jet Black Steve, they let me ride my tri bike, but just asked that I stay at/towards the rear and to stay out of the aero bars while in the pack. And yeah, not showing her that pic, lol!
Should help you redefine what "hard" is. 

Yeah, just a little bit. It was crazy how I was able to put out much more effort even on tired legs than I can in spin class or solo rides. My HR was way up there with what seemed like less effort, but in reality I was putting out a much harder effort.

Sean, I am convinced that all different ride types are good for you in one way or another. Solo has benefits (and dangers). Group is the same. MTB, road, CX, etc. You get a benefit from them all. I have found that group rides push me more, but I have also had more "incidents" in group. I have actually lowered my group participation this year.  I hope to get back with them a few times, but it hasn't worked out yet.  It is pretty cool that you had such a positive experience in the group. Good luck with the bike shopping!

BTW, after the road bike you also need a CX bike, a single speed, a MTB, and a cruiser. And if you buy them all, you probably won't need a tandem 

Tandem = divorce bike

2015-06-30 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Saddle?

Shorts?

I'll go first

im not putting a lot of miles in this season, but my set up is the same as when I was:

Saddle: adamo prologue

shorts: orca lite ( I forget the rest of the style name)

ive used desktop 400 miles and Rivera too, both with success.

2015-06-30 9:57 AM

User image

Denver, CO

What kind of gearing do you have on your bike?  I checked my wife's bike after her race (it's my old tri bike) and didn't realize there was a 11-23 cassette on there.  She had to walk two of the steepest hills.  She would kill me if she knew that I had an 11-28 sitting in my parts bin.

Good that you got out to check the course.  You'll get further up it each time out. Come race day it will be a piece of cake. 

I have a 12-26 cassette and 3 chain rings.  Should I try monkeying around with that a month out from my race?

With something like that, I wonder what the whole setup is. A 3 x 8 might not have as many cassette options. The rear deraileur may or may not be able to go much farther. I don't know what it would take to get a smaller chain ring on there.

I don't know a whole lot about bike equipment terminology.  By 3x8, do you mean 3 chain rings on the front and 8 gears on the back?  I have 9 on the back right now.  I'm thinking of upgrading my group set to 105 or Ultegra.  I know there's no point in getting old components just so I can stay with 9 gears when new group sets are for 10.  I was planning for upgrading in the Fall.  I'm thinking I want it sooner!!

If you are riding a triple ring, you are probably ahead of most as that generally provides for good climbing.  I don't think I'd mess with it.  Just ride as much as you can.

Yeah, I'd lean towards just leaving it. Was curious about maybe finding a little more with a cassette swap, but not sure you'd be able to just do that. Depending on what the rear derailleur is you might have to swap that out too if it was any more than 27 or 28t. Might already have a longer cage rear derailleur though since the front is a triple.

Also, generally speaking, if you're at the point of swapping out an entire groupset it's often worth considering just getting a new bike (read as "another" bike). Triples tend to be down in the lower end where you can really find some value for the money, and since you're in Colorado you may really want the triple. For an entire groupset swap to make sense it'd have to be an incredible deal to get and install it.

The reason I've thought about swapping out the groupset is that the brifters and front derailleur are Tiagra and rear derailleur is 105, plus it feels like there's a lot of play in the brifters no matter how recently it's been tuned up.  The bike has a carbon fork and seat post and I got it used $550, so I figured putting a little money into it would be worth it.  When I talked with the LBS where I bought it, they agreed.  I think the bike is a 2009 or so.  What do you think? 

A triple is harder to keep tuned that a double for sure.  The derailleur just has to travel more so it seems like you can get middle and little happy or middle a big happy but not all three.

Regarding the importance of front versus rear derailleur, I think that the rear is the more important of the two, isn't it? Do you have a problem changing the triple?

The problems are with the rear derailleur, or at least changing gears on the cassette; front is fine.  I'm not sure if it's just me or what.  When the LBS looks at it, they say it's fine but when I use it, it doesn't cooperate and jumps gears, especially when shifting to an easier one.  I think the problem is with play in the lower quality Tiagra brifters rather than the 105 derailleur, although I could be wrong.

2015-06-30 10:20 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Jet Black

Originally posted by Jet Black Steve, they let me ride my tri bike, but just asked that I stay at/towards the rear and to stay out of the aero bars while in the pack. And yeah, not showing her that pic, lol!
Should help you redefine what "hard" is. 

Yeah, just a little bit. It was crazy how I was able to put out much more effort even on tired legs than I can in spin class or solo rides. My HR was way up there with what seemed like less effort, but in reality I was putting out a much harder effort.

Sean, I am convinced that all different ride types are good for you in one way or another. Solo has benefits (and dangers). Group is the same. MTB, road, CX, etc. You get a benefit from them all. I have found that group rides push me more, but I have also had more "incidents" in group. I have actually lowered my group participation this year.  I hope to get back with them a few times, but it hasn't worked out yet.  It is pretty cool that you had such a positive experience in the group. Good luck with the bike shopping!

BTW, after the road bike you also need a CX bike, a single speed, a MTB, and a cruiser. And if you buy them all, you probably won't need a tandem 

Tandem = divorce bike

Yes!!  My parents got a tandem back in the day (a jillion lb. Schwinn).  They rode it once and it subsequently just collected dust.  DH and I agree that a tandem would be a very bad idea for us.  The only time we've hollered at each other was when we tried tango and swing dance lessons so I imagine that a tandem would be a terrible idea.

2015-06-30 10:40 AM

User image

Master

Saddle?

Shorts?

I'll go first

Saddle: Cobb Max

Shorts: I have a pair of LG tri shorts that I like, I couldn't tell you the model.  I also have a pair of DeSoto that are nearing the end of their life but have served me well.

2015-06-30 11:23 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Can't believe nobody's posted these invaluable marathon training tips.

Those are awesome! My favorite is the visualization. Ha!

Haha I like "Be sure to check with your doctor whether you have any health problems that could give you any excuse whatsoever not to do this"

2015-06-30 12:08 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

I'm glad that you were able to use the Beer Mile video as inspiration!  "People have done things harder than this.  People have done things harder than this."

Seriously, great effort out there this weekend!

Actually, my RoadID says that because I know I have.  Climbing a hill is way easier to manage than 2.5 years of constant pain and 2 surgeries!!

Shut up legs!

haha, love that!  While not original, I often tell myself "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (but this may kill you)". 

That's awesome.  I'm gonna have to borrow that!

I have the Shut Up Legs badge as well as 26.2, 13.1 and seventy.three. I also have a Navy badge to remind myself that DS2 is doing some pretty difficult stuff. My Road ID itself says "Remember Oceanside" because I figure if I can propel myself for 70.3 miles I can get through whatever the current challenge may be.

You have enough room for all those badges?!  Does any of the plastic of the bracelet show? 

The plastic band is the childs size so no, there isn't much blue showing . I might have to have a special one made for PPA

Speaking of PPA, when DS1 and I do these climbs I dread going back down. It feels like a controlled fall (sometimes it IS a fall) and I'm tense most of the time. I am so glad I'm not doing the PPM!!!

On my way back down from my run on Saturday I had no less than 6 close calls. One of them I tripped on a rock, took 4 or 5 long strides attempting to not fall on my face, tripped on another rock, went off the side of the trail, through the bushed and then back up onto the trail like nothing happened lol. 

2015-06-30 12:28 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'm glad that you were able to use the Beer Mile video as inspiration!  "People have done things harder than this.  People have done things harder than this."

Actually, my RoadID says that because I know I have.  Climbing a hill is way easier to manage than 2.5 years of constant pain and 2 surgeries!!

Shut up legs!

haha, love that!  While not original, I often tell myself "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (but this may kill you)". 

I have the Shut Up Legs badge as well as 26.2, 13.1 and seventy.three. I also have a Navy badge to remind myself that DS2 is doing some pretty difficult stuff. My Road ID itself says "Remember Oceanside" because I figure if I can propel myself for 70.3 miles I can get through whatever the current challenge may be.

You have enough room for all those badges?!  Does any of the plastic of the bracelet show? 

The plastic band is the childs size so no, there isn't much blue showing . I might have to have a special one made for PPA

Speaking of PPA, when DS1 and I do these climbs I dread going back down. It feels like a controlled fall (sometimes it IS a fall) and I'm tense most of the time. I am so glad I'm not doing the PPM!!!

On my way back down from my run on Saturday I had no less than 6 close calls. One of them I tripped on a rock, took 4 or 5 long strides attempting to not fall on my face, tripped on another rock, went off the side of the trail, through the bushed and then back up onto the trail like nothing happened lol. 

My windmill moments seem to happen only when there's plenty of car traffic to witness it.  Maybe I should take up trail running so only the chipmunks get to see me look like an flailing idiot.

2015-06-30 12:53 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Saddle?

Shorts?

I'm one of the unhappy undercarriage manatees, but about to embark, with some trepidation, on the path to comfort (I pray).

Current tri bike saddle: Adamo Road

Shorts: numerous, but the ones that seem, err, 'seem', to be working 'best' for me currently are DeSoto 400 mile bike shorts from a few years back and my new Placid Planet bibs which are Voler, I think.  My LG Team ones are probably the next best.  Those words are in quotes because I have issues regardless of what shorts I'm wearing but the ones I mentioned give me the least amount of grief.

I've been emailing with a lady at Cobb.  She recommended the Fifty-Five for me based on the answers to some questions and pictures of my current set-up.  I'm not sure how I feel about this since it is very similar to my Adamo, but I guess I will give it a shot.  I guess I'll ask the local LBS if they have any in stock (they are a Cobb dealer) and see if they have a demo program or return policy.

The lady at Cobb recommended always riding in tri shorts regardless of the length of the ride so the extra padding of bike shorts doesn't bunch up and cause soft tissue problems.  I'm also not sure how I feel about that advice.

I'm very frustrated with always being in pain from riding and am partially convinced that no seat will work for me even though I've only tried a few.  SMH at myself, LOL.  Is a pain-free ride too much to ask for?

2015-06-30 12:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Shut up legs!

My windmill moments seem to happen only when there's plenty of car traffic to witness it.  Maybe I should take up trail running so only the chipmunks get to see me look like an flailing idiot.

Edited by popsracer 2015-06-30 12:59 PM
2015-06-30 1:11 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Saddle?

Shorts?

I'm one of the unhappy undercarriage manatees, but about to embark, with some trepidation, on the path to comfort (I pray).

Shorts: numerous, but the ones that seem, err, 'seem', to be working 'best' for me currently are DeSoto 400 mile bike shorts from a few years back and my new Placid Planet bibs which are Voler, I think.  My LG Team ones are probably the next best.  Those words are in quotes because I have issues regardless of what shorts I'm wearing but the ones I mentioned give me the least amount of grief.

I've been emailing with a lady at Cobb.  She recommended the Fifty-Five for me based on the answers to some questions and pictures of my current set-up.  I'm not sure how I feel about this since it is very similar to my Adamo, but I guess I will give it a shot.  I guess I'll ask the local LBS if they have any in stock (they are a Cobb dealer) and see if they have a demo program or return policy.

The lady at Cobb recommended always riding in tri shorts regardless of the length of the ride so the extra padding of bike shorts doesn't bunch up and cause soft tissue problems.  I'm also not sure how I feel about that advice.

I'm very frustrated with always being in pain from riding and am partially convinced that no seat will work for me even though I've only tried a few.  SMH at myself, LOL.  Is a pain-free ride too much to ask for?

Mel I agree with the tri short suggestion. It's been a while since I've done long rides but I always found the most comfort in tri shorts on my Adamo. Tri shorts seem to be just right in the padding department. My DeSoto tri shorts are my fave.

2015-06-30 1:17 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Saddle?

Shorts?

Cobb's website says they have a 90-day return policy if you buy directly from them.

2015-06-30 1:33 PM

User image

Seattle

Speaking of tri shorts, first I agree.

Second, I actually rode my bike on Friday. 30 miles! And in tri shorts

2015-06-30 1:37 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

I agree with the Tri shorts suggestion too. And, woo hop, you got on a bike!
2015-06-30 1:58 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Me 3!  The only time I wear bike shorts is if my tri shorts are all in the laundry......

2015-06-30 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Saddle?

Shorts?

No, it is not too much to ask for!  I thought that we could get a listing of What Works for Manatees with lady parts.  It may or may not be a good starting point for you!

2015-06-30 2:10 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

Me 3!  The only time I wear bike shorts is if my tri shorts are all in the laundry......

I use mine for the MTB. Of course it doesn't keep me from getting electricuted!

2015-06-30 2:12 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Tri shorts on the tri bike, road shorts (Terry Bella) on the roadie.

2015-06-30 4:49 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Tri shorts on the tri bike, road shorts (Terry Bella) on the roadie.

Hmm, I really only have 1 pair of tri shorts that fit...guess I need to buy some more and give it a try (tri), ha!

2015-06-30 4:50 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Saddle?

Shorts?

Cobb's website says they have a 90-day return policy if you buy directly from them.

Yes, and that does have a strong appeal to me.  I worry I wouldn't get it set up right, but they also have guidance videos, etc. on their website.

2015-06-30 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Saddle?

Shorts?

Yes, and that does have a strong appeal to me.  I worry I wouldn't get it set up right, but they also have guidance videos, etc. on their website.

Talk to your LBS, mine honors the Cobb 90 day policy.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66186 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27800 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11766 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 36911 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66004 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.