BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-30 5:59 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmkizer

A few questions for the female Manatees that are putting in a lot of bike miles on tri bikes.  I know a few of us are having some issues with comfort in the saddle and I thought I'd get a discussion started on that. 

Saddle?

Shorts?

I'm one of the unhappy undercarriage manatees, but about to embark, with some trepidation, on the path to comfort (I pray).

Current tri bike saddle: Adamo Road

Shorts: numerous, but the ones that seem, err, 'seem', to be working 'best' for me currently are DeSoto 400 mile bike shorts from a few years back and my new Placid Planet bibs which are Voler, I think.  My LG Team ones are probably the next best.  Those words are in quotes because I have issues regardless of what shorts I'm wearing but the ones I mentioned give me the least amount of grief.

I've been emailing with a lady at Cobb.  She recommended the Fifty-Five for me based on the answers to some questions and pictures of my current set-up.  I'm not sure how I feel about this since it is very similar to my Adamo, but I guess I will give it a shot.  I guess I'll ask the local LBS if they have any in stock (they are a Cobb dealer) and see if they have a demo program or return policy.

The lady at Cobb recommended always riding in tri shorts regardless of the length of the ride so the extra padding of bike shorts doesn't bunch up and cause soft tissue problems.  I'm also not sure how I feel about that advice.

I'm very frustrated with always being in pain from riding and am partially convinced that no seat will work for me even though I've only tried a few.  SMH at myself, LOL.  Is a pain-free ride too much to ask for?

Cobb's website says they have a 90-day return policy if you buy directly from them.

Yes, and that does have a strong appeal to me.  I worry I wouldn't get it set up right, but they also have guidance videos, etc. on their website.

I got my Cobb used here on BT and just slapped it on.  Being the noob I am, I just whipped the old seat off without noticing the index marks on the other side and put it at roughly the same angle as the old one.  It didn't take long to learn the folly of my ways.  I took it to my LBS and they tweaked things around a bit and it's fine now.  There really wasn't much to it other than getting the angle and distance right, which I hadn't.

2015-06-30 7:15 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

I love my 2XU Long Distance tri shorts. They are the 2014 version. I tried the 2015 Long Distance Compression shorts but they were way too small so I sent them back. I just ordered another pair of the 2014s from the 2XU site.

As for the saddle. Do we really have to talk about it? When I had my bike fit last year they put me on a Specialized Lithia 155. I'm good for the first 2 hours but after that it gets ugly. So my coach and I are looking for something that will get me through 112 miles. I should add that it's not the lady parts really that have the sores. The nose of the saddle is too wide for me so it's the side of my legs. I need a narrow nose.
2015-06-30 9:14 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Looking forward to the race tomorrow!  It's a wonky distance, but I like it.  800m OW/22-23 mi bike/3.5 mi run.  Basically fit in and around a park.  The local tri scene shows up, and it's always cool to see the familiar faces.

2015-07-01 6:58 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Katy, Texas
I'm in desperate need of more bike or tri shorts. I only have one pair of bike shorts and a one piece tri suit that I'd feel awfully silly training in, so I'm constantly washing the one pair of bike shorts.

What do the dudes recommend for the best bike or tri shorts?
2015-07-01 8:03 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black I'm in desperate need of more bike or tri shorts. I only have one pair of bike shorts and a one piece tri suit that I'd feel awfully silly training in, so I'm constantly washing the one pair of bike shorts. What do the dudes recommend for the best bike or tri shorts?

And as a follow up for all Manatees, where are you finding the best prices for your shorts?

P.S. Kevin is using Zoic for his mountain biking and PI on the trainer.  We get them at REI when they have a sale.

2015-07-01 8:31 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Jet Black I'm in desperate need of more bike or tri shorts. I only have one pair of bike shorts and a one piece tri suit that I'd feel awfully silly training in, so I'm constantly washing the one pair of bike shorts. What do the dudes recommend for the best bike or tri shorts?

And as a follow up for all Manatees, where are you finding the best prices for your shorts?

P.S. Kevin is using Zoic for his mountain biking and PI on the trainer.  We get them at REI when they have a sale.

I am a big believer in Amazon Prime! 

2015-07-01 8:35 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I am a big believer in Amazon Prime! 

I use Amazon quite a bit but also check SwimOutlet (best prices I've found on DeSoto), Sierra Trading Post/Left Lane, and 6pm (I've had better luck with running stuff from them than tri stuff).  Oh, judicious use of REI sales/% off coupons as well!

2015-07-01 8:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I use low end bib shorts, which I find quite good for anything up to 2 hours, which is as far as I am currently riding.  We have an online distributer that is located here in town, so I have gotten a pair from them (link below) and may get another when I need them.  Bike Nashbar worked in the past for me as well.  Always bibs.  My first pair was shorts and they were not nearly as comfortable.  I wear bike bibs on nearly every ride, my tri suit is only used on race day.  I do have a gift card for the LBS that someone gave me for my B-day that may be used for a pair of more expensive bibs to see what the difference is.

http://www.cycle-clothing.com/products/271/speg-efusion-cycling-bib-shorts-with-coolmax-pad.aspx

ETA: I just checked on the climb website and if you play your cards right, you may be able to get something that is well priced from a brand name maker like PI or Canari or Castelli.

Edited by cdban66 2015-07-01 8:44 AM
2015-07-01 9:26 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

A few questions for the female Manatees that are putting in a lot of bike miles on tri bikes.  I know a few of us are having some issues with comfort in the saddle and I thought I'd get a discussion started on that. 

Saddle?

Shorts?

I've been summoned by the order of the Manatees to give my opinion - something I always enjoy doing!!

I have been through EVERY tri saddle on the market and have tried LOTS of shorts. These are the things I've learned:

1. bike setup - it's possible to raise your aero bars and still remain aero (with other adjustments out or in etc) in order to make the squishy parts more comfortable
2. Although not ideal, if you just cannot roll forward on your sit bones completely (like me) then roll back. Having your pelvis more upright is not the best aero position but you do what you have to do
3. I gave up training in tri shorts - I did that all year last year. I can do a 70.3 in them when I have to but there's no sense in being miserable while training.

current saddle: dash stage 9
favorite shorts: LG Team shorts (road shorts, not tri shorts) - I did 90 miles with this setup recently and it was tolerable. I plan on wearing them for IMMT. They are compression shorts with a good pad. The Dash saddle has very little padding so these shorts make up for it.

I just picked up a pair of Coeur shorts for the seamless chamois. I LOVED them last night on my mountain bike but I don't think they'll be any different on the tri bike.

Melanie, believe me, I feel your pain - and I've tried the JOF55 - same as Adamo, you're right.

Lastly I also just returned an Adamo pn 1.1. It's the same shape as the Attack with more padding. I wasn't comfortable to me at all so back to Dash.

saddles I've tried (admittedly some were only inside on the fit cycle):
Cobb: Gen2, Plus, VFlow, Max, JOF Randee, JOF 55
Adamo: Attack, Breakaway, Typhoon, Pn1.1 Prologue, Road, TT
Terry: Liberator race
Selle SMP: Avant, Pro
Specialized: Sitero, Ruby
Bontrager: Affinity RL
Selle Italia: iron
Fizik: Tritone, Airione Donna

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting too.

On another note - just so you know - I was off the grid for a few days. My 97 year old grandmother passed away over the weekend, funeral was yesterday and today life moves on. Thanks to those who continue to check in on me daily - Chris and Janyne esp
2015-07-01 9:31 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Saddle?

Shorts?

I've been summoned by the order of the Manatees to give my opinion - something I always enjoy doing!! I have been through EVERY tri saddle on the market and have tried LOTS of shorts. These are the things I've learned: 1. bike setup - it's possible to raise your aero bars and still remain aero (with other adjustments out or in etc) in order to make the squishy parts more comfortable 2. Although not ideal, if you just cannot roll forward on your sit bones completely (like me) then roll back. Having your pelvis more upright is not the best aero position but you do what you have to do 3. I gave up training in tri shorts - I did that all year last year. I can do a 70.3 in them when I have to but there's no sense in being miserable while training. current saddle: dash stage 9 favorite shorts: LG Team shorts (road shorts, not tri shorts) - I did 90 miles with this setup recently and it was tolerable. I plan on wearing them for IMMT. They are compression shorts with a good pad. The Dash saddle has very little padding so these shorts make up for it. I just picked up a pair of Coeur shorts for the seamless chamois. I LOVED them last night on my mountain bike but I don't think they'll be any different on the tri bike. Melanie, believe me, I feel your pain - and I've tried the JOF55 - same as Adamo, you're right. Lastly I also just returned an Adamo pn 1.1. It's the same shape as the Attack with more padding. I wasn't comfortable to me at all so back to Dash. saddles I've tried (admittedly some were only inside on the fit cycle): Cobb: Gen2, Plus, VFlow, Max, JOF Randee, JOF 55 Adamo: Attack, Breakaway, Typhoon, Pn1.1 Prologue, Road, TT Terry: Liberator race Selle SMP: Avant, Pro Specialized: Sitero, Ruby Bontrager: Affinity RL Selle Italia: iron Fizik: Tritone, Airione Donna I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting too. On another note - just so you know - I was off the grid for a few days. My 97 year old grandmother passed away over the weekend, funeral was yesterday and today life moves on. Thanks to those who continue to check in on me daily - Chris and Janyne esp

Sorry to read about your grandmother.  she had a long life, but I know that doesn't make the loss any easier.

On a different note, man, you have tried a ton of saddles!! 

2015-07-01 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Saddle?

Shorts?

I've been summoned by the order of the Manatees to give my opinion - something I always enjoy doing!! I have been through EVERY tri saddle on the market and have tried LOTS of shorts. These are the things I've learned: 1. bike setup - it's possible to raise your aero bars and still remain aero (with other adjustments out or in etc) in order to make the squishy parts more comfortable 2. Although not ideal, if you just cannot roll forward on your sit bones completely (like me) then roll back. Having your pelvis more upright is not the best aero position but you do what you have to do 3. I gave up training in tri shorts - I did that all year last year. I can do a 70.3 in them when I have to but there's no sense in being miserable while training. current saddle: dash stage 9 favorite shorts: LG Team shorts (road shorts, not tri shorts) - I did 90 miles with this setup recently and it was tolerable. I plan on wearing them for IMMT. They are compression shorts with a good pad. The Dash saddle has very little padding so these shorts make up for it. I just picked up a pair of Coeur shorts for the seamless chamois. I LOVED them last night on my mountain bike but I don't think they'll be any different on the tri bike. Melanie, believe me, I feel your pain - and I've tried the JOF55 - same as Adamo, you're right. Lastly I also just returned an Adamo pn 1.1. It's the same shape as the Attack with more padding. I wasn't comfortable to me at all so back to Dash. saddles I've tried (admittedly some were only inside on the fit cycle): Cobb: Gen2, Plus, VFlow, Max, JOF Randee, JOF 55 Adamo: Attack, Breakaway, Typhoon, Pn1.1 Prologue, Road, TT Terry: Liberator race Selle SMP: Avant, Pro Specialized: Sitero, Ruby Bontrager: Affinity RL Selle Italia: iron Fizik: Tritone, Airione Donna I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting too. On another note - just so you know - I was off the grid for a few days. My 97 year old grandmother passed away over the weekend, funeral was yesterday and today life moves on. Thanks to those who continue to check in on me daily - Chris and Janyne esp

So sorry to hear about your grandmother Randee. That is a long life and if she is anything like you, she had a full life as well. My condolences to you and your family.

I agree with Hands, that is a ton of testing!!

2015-07-01 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Randee,

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.  {{hugs}}

2015-07-01 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Saddle?

Shorts?

Follow up question -- chamois cream?

2015-07-01 10:29 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

OH YES I should have put that in too! LOL

my favorite is Dz Nuts Bliss followed closely by Mission 5 hour anti Chafe.

I've tried Hoo Ha Ride Glide and Chamois buttr as well but I find those don't go the distance.

I haven't tried Assos but I've read good things.
2015-07-01 10:33 AM

User image

Seattle

OH YES I should have put that in too! LOL my favorite is Dz Nuts Bliss followed closely by Mission 5 hour anti Chafe. I've tried Hoo Ha Ride Glide and Chamois buttr as well but I find those don't go the distance. I haven't tried Assos but I've read good things.

I said this in the other mentor thread but since you guys also gave me reason to say it as well,  I am going back to running where it's safe

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-07-01 10:33 AM
2015-07-01 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Saddles and shorts for the female Manatees, the story so far...

Saddles

• Cobb V Flow Plus
  • adamo prologue
  • Cobb Max
  • Adamo Road (looking to replace)
  • Specialized Lithia 155 (looking to replace)
  • dash stage 9

Shorts

• DeSoto 400 mile
  • orca lite (also DeSoto 400 miles and Rivera)
  • LG tri shorts and DeSoto
  • DeSoto 400, Placid Planet Voler bibs, LG Team
  • 2XU Long Distance tri shorts
  • LG Team shorts (road shorts, not tri shorts) - also Coeur shorts with seamless chamois

Where to buy?

• Amazon
  • SwimOutlet
  • Sierra Trading Post/Left Lane Sports
  • 6pm
  • REI
  • Nashbar

2015-07-01 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

OH YES I should have put that in too! LOL my favorite is Dz Nuts Bliss followed closely by Mission 5 hour anti Chafe. I've tried Hoo Ha Ride Glide and Chamois buttr as well but I find those don't go the distance. I haven't tried Assos but I've read good things.

I've tried both Chamois Buttr and Assos with reasonably good results.

2015-07-01 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

At the risk of offending Salty even more , what type of benefit does anyone see from chamois cream? I don't do a whole lot of rides over 1:30 right now, but it is warm, sticky and sweaty for me.

ETA: Anti Monkey Butt has been helpful at times.

Edited by cdban66 2015-07-01 11:01 AM
2015-07-01 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Saddles and shorts for the female Manatees, the story so far...

Saddles

• Cobb V Flow Plus
  • adamo prologue
  • Cobb Max
  • Adamo Road (looking to replace)
  • Specialized Lithia 155 (looking to replace)
  • dash stage 9

Shorts

• DeSoto 400 mile
  • orca lite (also DeSoto 400 miles and Rivera)
  • LG tri shorts and DeSoto
  • DeSoto 400, Placid Planet Voler bibs, LG Team
  • 2XU Long Distance tri shorts
  • LG Team shorts (road shorts, not tri shorts) - also Coeur shorts with seamless chamois

Where to buy?

• Amazon
  • SwimOutlet
  • Sierra Trading Post/Left Lane Sports
  • 6pm
  • REI
  • Nashbar

I guess i should have mentioned that my tri bike has the adamo prologue.  My road bike has cobb v flow plus.  I ride it so infrequently now that I forgot about it!  But, before switching almost exclusively to my P2, i put in a lot of long rides on the roadie and didn't have any issues with the cobb.

I use chamois butter. 

2015-07-01 11:01 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

At the risk of offending Salty even more , what type of benefit does anyone see from chamois cream? I don't do a whole lot of rides over 1:30 right now, but it is warm, sticky and sweaty for me.

I don't use it. Never found it to help.

2015-07-01 11:37 AM

Master
Northern IL

Good to see you're done blaming Chris for the saddle suggestion.

2015-07-01 11:47 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Just some body glide. Some of the others were too slippery.

Something to think about is the need for a lubrication substance for an area that is supposed to be stationary. What is going on that is creating the friction? My need for this has gone down when I've addressed that part.

Also, make sure of the fit itself. If your position is a bit off then no saddle can help. My hips will start rocking and moving around if the seat is too high. And "too high" for me is actually notably lower than for most people, which can really mess with the heads of some fitters.

Know how the saddle is supposed to work. Some really don't quite get just how forward one is supposed to sit on a noseless saddle (like an Adamo). Also know how the saddle is supposed to be adjusted, what to look for in making it "flat" for the starting position. The Adamo I've had and the Dash I have both just look different than a more traditional saddle. They are also still fairly uncomfortable when not angled right, but when I got it there was a substantial difference. Even then it still took some time to be able to go for multi-hour rides, though short rides went well rather quickly.

2015-07-01 12:37 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by brigby1

Good to see you're done blaming Chris for the saddle suggestion.

I blame all of you.

:p

also add: I've been to 3 different fitters.
It's definitely me!
2015-07-01 12:42 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Very sorry to hear about your grandmother Randee.
2015-07-01 12:43 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by brigby1

Just some body glide. Some of the others were too slippery.

Something to think about is the need for a lubrication substance for an area that is supposed to be stationary. What is going on that is creating the friction? My need for this has gone down when I've addressed that part.

Also, make sure of the fit itself. If your position is a bit off then no saddle can help. My hips will start rocking and moving around if the seat is too high. And "too high" for me is actually notably lower than for most people, which can really mess with the heads of some fitters.

Know how the saddle is supposed to work. Some really don't quite get just how forward one is supposed to sit on a noseless saddle (like an Adamo). Also know how the saddle is supposed to be adjusted, what to look for in making it "flat" for the starting position. The Adamo I've had and the Dash I have both just look different than a more traditional saddle. They are also still fairly uncomfortable when not angled right, but when I got it there was a substantial difference. Even then it still took some time to be able to go for multi-hour rides, though short rides went well rather quickly.

BIke fit...I've been officially fit by bike shops 3x on my bike (with some minor adjusting of my own from time to time, messing with seat angle/placement when what they did didn't work) and none of them took care of my saddle issues.  I just don't have the money to keep throwing at new bike fit attempts considering around here they are generally $150 and up for one of quality.  It is such a frustrating situation, figuring out what is truly the problem: Is it the fit?  Is it the saddle?  Is it the shorts?  Is it my physical make-up?  All of the above? 

Saddle testing, as Randee knows all too well, is a long, frustrating process, too.  Not to mention sometimes I'm fine for 30+ minutes before the pain/issues begin.  One LBS has a saddle testing set-up in the shop to help users go through a variety of saddles quickly, but 10-20 min/saddle, is that really giving me adequate feedback?

To answer Chris' question on chamois cream, I truly need it to avoid issues with more delicate areas.  I'll leave it at that.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66410 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27872 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11797 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37007 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66167 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.