BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-07-27 7:13 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)
Originally posted by popsracer

I had a great weekend.  Went ahead and ran the local Old Settlers 5k instead of traveling down to Seattle for the grander event.  I really want to do an Oly in two weeks so am saving my chips for that.  I felt as strong as I ever have in a 5k cruising the first 1.5 miles at a 6:50 pace.  Next half mile had a pretty descent hill and gradual gain to the base of it so slowed to 7:15 pace that stretch.  Picked it back up to 6:50 next half mile and was starting to build for a strong finish but alas, in the exact same place as last year I had to stop to throw up.  I felt fine after clearing my stomach and passed several of the people back that had passed by me.  I should have been around 21:30 so was pretty happy overall.  I took a quick drink off water after the finish and ran the course again at a leisurely pace to get a few miles in.

Next day got a good trainer ride in while watching last years Paris-Roubaix bike race on youtube.  Holy cow those cobblestones looked like a nightmare.  After watching this I could much better appreciate Matt's bike race a few months ago.

And finally, I got to campout in the backyard last night with my son.  He was so excited you'd have thought we had pitched the tent on the top of Mt. Everest.  He wants to sleep out there all week but I'm not sure my back can handle it.  I may have to drag a mattress out there.  Hope everyone has a great week ahead.

Way to go Steve!!! (Except the puking part haha) but at least you know you gave it your all!!!

2015-07-28 12:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzP5rpvWCII

A fun morning of trying "serious" swimming. This was T's second attempt at putting the stroke and breathing and kick together.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-07-28 12:23 PM
2015-07-28 12:48 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Just doing a late-night pop in. I've done some IG and FB stalking the last few days after getting back from two weeks in Kansas. Looks like some good racing this past weekend from the womanatees!  

2015-07-29 2:13 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Rats!! Was having a great run this evening.  I'm cruising along with my son riding with me.  He veers into me cutting my legs out from under me.  I hit very hard.  Both palms, both elbows, and both knees badly cut and cruised.  He is ok as he went down too.  I lay on the pavement stunned.  Cannot get up and lay on my back trying to collect myself.  He is on his cellphone calling for help.  I told him to hang up I'll be ok in a moment.  We finish the run.  Shock is wearing off now and I am really aching.   I have been so, so careful with my knees in the past weeks.  I did not need this.  Keeping my fingers crossed things will be somewhat normal tomorrow.

On the brighter side, our chickens laid there first egg today.

2015-07-29 7:28 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Ouch Steve!! Sorry to hear it but glad it wasn't worse! Rest up!
2015-07-29 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Rats!! Was having a great run this evening.  I'm cruising along with my son riding with me.  He veers into me cutting my legs out from under me.  I hit very hard.  Both palms, both elbows, and both knees badly cut and cruised.  He is ok as he went down too.  I lay on the pavement stunned.  Cannot get up and lay on my back trying to collect myself.  He is on his cellphone calling for help.  I told him to hang up I'll be ok in a moment.  We finish the run.  Shock is wearing off now and I am really aching.   I have been so, so careful with my knees in the past weeks.  I did not need this.  Keeping my fingers crossed things will be somewhat normal tomorrow.

Oh no!  I hope all will be well tomorrow too!  Yay for fresh eggs!

2015-07-29 8:16 AM

Master
Northern IL

Hang in there man!

2015-07-29 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ow! Hope the damage is all cosmetic.

Yay for fresh eggs!!!

2015-07-29 10:53 AM

User image

Master

Well, poo! Hope you're a fast healer. Did you tell him that's really not the way to convince you to sleep outside with him?

Oh! do your hens lay colored eggs? I love opening fresh cartons and finding "Easter" eggs.  

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-07-29 10:57 AM
2015-07-29 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

OUCH!  I hope any bumps & bruises are just superficial.   

Yay for fresh eggs   

2015-07-29 11:23 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Well, poo! Hope you're a fast healer. Did you tell him that's really not the way to convince you to sleep outside with him?

Oh! do your hens lay colored eggs? I love opening fresh cartons and finding "Easter" eggs.  

It was a green egg to go with my ham

And thank you all for your well wishes.  This morning I am very sore.  I'm going to just swim today.

Edited by popsracer 2015-07-29 11:25 AM

2015-07-29 12:15 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

For anyone that's done a 140.6, this is pretty much SPOT ON!!  

(right down to the singing on the bike, though I went for "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" but couldn't get past that one line so it was a tad boring...)  

2015 IM Canada

2015-07-29 12:31 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

(right down to the singing on the bike, though I went for "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" but couldn't get past that one line so it was a tad boring...)  

2015 IM Canada

OMG I SAW THE GUY WITH THE FUEL BELT OVER HIS WETSUIT!  I thought he was just wearing it in transition before getting in the water....

Brain “Where’s the bear?”
Brain “HOLY !!!”
Body “What’s the big deal? He looks like the thing that the honey comes in.”
Brain “Yeah exactly… we’re basically covered in gel goop and, no offense, but we can’t exactly out run him.”

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

2015-07-29 1:28 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

2015 IM Canada

OMG I SAW THE GUY WITH THE FUEL BELT OVER HIS WETSUIT!  I thought he was just wearing it in transition before getting in the water....

Brain “HOLY !!!”
Brain “Yeah exactly… we’re basically covered in gel goop and, no offense, but we can’t exactly out run him.”

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Body “Oh my! I feel silly! I didn’t get you anything!”

Ha!

2015-07-29 3:59 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Super fast check in. The Championship was INCREDIBLE. I have found my people.

I am really happy with how I raced. I learned an incredible amount and have so much to share. And will if/when I get a chance.

I was able to squeeze every ounce of adventure out of Bend. The day after the championship I run-summited South Sister (3rd tallest in Oregon

It was cool getting to look from South Sister, back to bachelor where the championship was the previous day (thats Bach, peaking out of the clouds)

I camped all weekend...testing the limits of solitude as well as hygiene (4 days without shower, lots of running....)

Was able to do another long trail run down in the valley adjacent to the summit trail and get another view of the Mountain I had run (for scale)

Anyway RR some day! 

2015-07-29 4:09 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

2015 IM Canada

Brain “HOLY !!!”

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Body “Oh my! I feel silly! I didn’t get you anything!”

Ha!

Body “Jeez, even the electronics are dying.”

2015-07-29 4:12 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Super fast check in. The Championship was INCREDIBLE. I have found my people.

I am really happy with how I raced. I learned an incredible amount and have so much to share. And will if/when I get a chance.

I was able to squeeze every ounce of adventure out of Bend. The day after the championship I run-summited South Sister (3rd tallest in Oregon

It was cool getting to look from South Sister, back to bachelor where the championship was the previous day (thats Bach, peaking out of the clouds)

I camped all weekend...testing the limits of solitude as well as hygiene (4 days without shower, lots of running....)

Was able to do another long trail run down in the valley adjacent to the summit trail and get another view of the Mountain I had run (for scale)

Anyway RR some day! 

Awesome stuff!!! Been enjoying the IG posts

2015-07-30 2:34 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

2015 IM Canada

Brain “HOLY !!!”

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Re: the bears at IM Canada - friends of mine did the race and saw a bear on the bike course, not sure if it was one from the story or not.

2015-07-30 5:25 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

k the rr is done

2015-07-30 10:18 PM

User image

Master

Quiet in here today....  I shall entertain you with a story--one of a completely undeserving person having amazing friends and family.  All week everyone has been acting  weird and last night I found out why.

Those of you on Strava may remember that I was stopped on a ride by a broken derailleur hanger a few weeks ago.  My bike had fallen while we were stopped on a pee break; a few km later, the hanger snapped, derailleur slightly bent, frame bent at the drop out.  My training partner/mechanic was able to bend the frame back but it had a small crack. Aluminum, so it was strong, and in such a place that it was supported and unlikely to be an issue.  But, the derailleur was not at 100% either and I certainly didn't have the money to replace the Di2 right now.  I have ridden it twice with no issues (long rides, 5.5 and 6+ hours), but there was some concern about packing it up and it making the trip to Denmark.  I was just praying that it would be okay and considering bringing my roadie as well just in case.

While on the ride mentioned, we had friends in town.  They were the friends I had stayed with during my first 70.3 in Calgary back in 2012.  They were staying with us and we went out that evening.  Unbeknownst to me, when I left the table briefly that evening, they asked my SO for my training partners number.  Over the past two and a half weeks, components for a new bike were purchased by my friends, through my TP, and he built me what you see below.  My friends own a business--so I guess that makes me sponsored (despite the fact that he wants no 'advertising' done by me).  I was taken over to my TP's place last night for 'coffee' and it was sitting there with a bow on it.  Gobsmacked I believe is what the term is.  Had a fit tonight.  Not the ideal to be getting on a new bike so close to race, but I gotta give it a go at least. 

I gotta say I don't know what I have done to have such people in my life, but I hope I can continue to be so deserving...

2015-07-31 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Quiet in here today....  I shall entertain you with a story--one of a completely undeserving person having amazing friends and family.  All week everyone has been acting  weird and last night I found out why.

Those of you on Strava may remember that I was stopped on a ride by a broken derailleur hanger a few weeks ago.  My bike had fallen while we were stopped on a pee break; a few km later, the hanger snapped, derailleur slightly bent, frame bent at the drop out.  My training partner/mechanic was able to bend the frame back but it had a small crack. Aluminum, so it was strong, and in such a place that it was supported and unlikely to be an issue.  But, the derailleur was not at 100% either and I certainly didn't have the money to replace the Di2 right now.  I have ridden it twice with no issues (long rides, 5.5 and 6+ hours), but there was some concern about packing it up and it making the trip to Denmark.  I was just praying that it would be okay and considering bringing my roadie as well just in case.

While on the ride mentioned, we had friends in town.  They were the friends I had stayed with during my first 70.3 in Calgary back in 2012.  They were staying with us and we went out that evening.  Unbeknownst to me, when I left the table briefly that evening, they asked my SO for my training partners number.  Over the past two and a half weeks, components for a new bike were purchased by my friends, through my TP, and he built me what you see below.  My friends own a business--so I guess that makes me sponsored (despite the fact that he wants no 'advertising' done by me).  I was taken over to my TP's place last night for 'coffee' and it was sitting there with a bow on it.  Gobsmacked I believe is what the term is.  Had a fit tonight.  Not the ideal to be getting on a new bike so close to race, but I gotta give it a go at least. 

I gotta say I don't know what I have done to have such people in my life, but I hope I can continue to be so deserving...

That is so cool Kirsten - and the fact that you think you are undeserving of it tells me that you probably truly do deserve it. Enjoy it and ride it with a great big smile

2015-07-31 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Awesome story, awesome friends and awesome recipient!!

2015-07-31 8:29 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Do they need more friends? I'm available!

Seriously that's awesome! enjoy it

And Adrienne those pictures are amazing. I have friends that lived in Colorado and went to visit other friends in Bend. They loved it so much they just packed up and moved there - been there about 10 years now I think. Awesome!!
2015-07-31 9:08 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by StaceyK

That is so cool Kirsten - and the fact that you think you are undeserving of it tells me that you probably truly do deserve it. Enjoy it and ride it with a great big smile

Exactly what Stacey said!  Just remember that you surround yourself with those that share your same ideals, so having amazing friends means that they think you are just as amazing (as do we!).  Enjoy the new ride and I'd "advertise" the sh*t outta that thing by riding it as much as possible - it's gorgeous!  

Most importantly... do you have a name for that beast yet???  :D 

2015-07-31 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

k the rr is done

What a stunning part of the world!  

I'm always impressed by how you're able to learn WHILE you're racing, my brain just doesn't have that capability because I think it completely shuts down and just goes into "let's just keep this silly, untrained person alive" mode.  

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66228 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27823 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11775 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 36955 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66031 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.