BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-08-26 4:25 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by rrrunner

Well, tomorrow is the day. We are headed up to the cabin in the pass tonight. 

Hopefully I've got everything! That there is 100 miles worth of clothing, food and survival gear. 

I'll be posting to social media if/when able so you can follow me there. Otherwise, I'll share everything when we get back.

I thought of your color coordination when I was planning my Ragnar outfits. Consequently I have three color themes, one for each of the legs, and each theme has shorts, capris, pants, tank, t-shirt, long sleeve and of course bra and shoes.  The weather is looking low 40's to mid 60's so I wanted to be prepared.

Yeah but do your shoes match your fuel canister and the pillows on your guest bed that you just happened to have inflated because guests were over???

Not a speck of orange in there, is there?  Maybe you're trying to make it last, not make it fast? 

Hope you have a wonderful wonderful weekend!!

2015-08-26 4:56 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by laffinrock

Hopefully I've got everything! That there is 100 miles worth of clothing, food and survival gear. 

I'll be posting to social media if/when able so you can follow me there. Otherwise, I'll share everything when we get back.

I thought of your color coordination when I was planning my Ragnar outfits. Consequently I have three color themes, one for each of the legs, and each theme has shorts, capris, pants, tank, t-shirt, long sleeve and of course bra and shoes.  The weather is looking low 40's to mid 60's so I wanted to be prepared.

Yeah but do your shoes match your fuel canister and the pillows on your guest bed that you just happened to have inflated because guests were over???

Not a speck of orange in there, is there?  Maybe you're trying to make it last, not make it fast? 

Hope you have a wonderful wonderful weekend!!

Have a great time Salty. Have fun and stay safe.
2015-08-26 4:56 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Have a great time Adrienne! I could never pack that little for 100 miles! In fact I'm not sure that would last me a weekend at home! :D

Any tips for night running? I am borrowing D's headlamp and have run with it, once.  There's a chance of rain in the forecast so that could add another level of interesting to the mix. It'll be on trails at the Angel Fire ski area.

All I know is the MORE LIGHT (more lumens) the better! I run a lot in the dark in the winter and DH and I share the Black Diamond Icon. Battery life is pretty decent but I've never tested it in the rain - it says it's waterproof! http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/headlamps-and-lanterns/icon-hea... Sounds like a lot of fun though!

Yep, more lumens the better.  I did a lot of trail running in the dark last winter and it was usually raining.  I invested in a MagicShine which at 550 lumens pretty much turns night into day.  Only two hour battery life though and li-ion batteries do not fade but are either full on or off.  Got caught in the dark once and it sucked.  Depending where you are can be very dangerous.  I carry a small backup now.

2015-08-26 4:58 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

It should be an epic trip.  Have fun and stay safe.  Can't wait to hear how it goes.

2015-08-26 5:05 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

My son is pressing hard for a dog and I think we are weakening.  The companionship and responsibility would be good for him and I think he is ready.  We took an online breed compatibility test that was quite extensive and a vizsla came back as the best fit.  So funny because my older, adult son has a vizsla.  I've taken him running before and they can run like you wouldn't believe.  Would be pretty cool to have a running buddy.

2015-08-27 2:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by popsracer

My son is pressing hard for a dog and I think we are weakening.  The companionship and responsibility would be good for him and I think he is ready.  We took an online breed compatibility test that was quite extensive and a vizsla came back as the best fit.  So funny because my older, adult son has a vizsla.  I've taken him running before and they can run like you wouldn't believe.  Would be pretty cool to have a running buddy.

Great that you have some experience with the breed. My understanding is that generally they do need a fair bit of exercise and loooooove to run.

2015-08-27 7:35 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

a few years ago my friends got a vizsla PUPPY! Yeah the adults need a lot of exercise but puppies are off the charts! And my friends are bikers/runners etc and this dog ran them ragged! LOL

Maybe find a rescue group and get a 3 year old :D
2015-08-27 8:03 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Good luck Adrienne!!!

And get that dog Steve!!
2015-08-27 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

a few years ago my friends got a vizsla PUPPY! Yeah the adults need a lot of exercise but puppies are off the charts! And my friends are bikers/runners etc and this dog ran them ragged! LOL Maybe find a rescue group and get a 3 year old :D

Both of our labs came from the Guide Dog Association, one retired (Pedro) and the other a dropout (Gil).  The dropout was about 18 months and full of life. The plus to this was that we were able to help out the Association and we also had no puppy training to do. Win-Win!  I have no clue on Vizsla's, but Randee is right, if you can find one from a rescue group, you both benefit.  

Whatever you do, good luck!! The coolest part for me was that we got the first dog for our girls, but I think it was Ann and I that really gained the most.

2015-08-27 4:22 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Almost time for a change in seasons and overall focus.  Doesn't look like I'm going to get a chance at a 2nd HIM this year so with some big running races just around the corner I'm moving up my Fall focus.  Might get in an Oly next month so will do some biking/swimming but more as crosstraining for running.  I'll also start pretending I'm cyclocrossing on the local paths.  I have a sweet cx bike that has been sadly dormant.

Does anyone else do a major shift in training/racing in the Fall?

2015-08-27 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Almost time for a change in seasons and overall focus.  Doesn't look like I'm going to get a chance at a 2nd HIM this year so with some big running races just around the corner I'm moving up my Fall focus.  Might get in an Oly next month so will do some biking/swimming but more as crosstraining for running.  I'll also start pretending I'm cyclocrossing on the local paths.  I have a sweet cx bike that has been sadly dormant.

Kind of but mine is for the spring. After this weekend HM I start back with riding and swimming. on Sunday I have 22 weeks until the Oly that will be my A race for the summer. I'm getting excited about it. But the truth is the planning always excites me the most. I am just one of those sad individuals.

2015-08-28 2:27 AM

User image

Melon Presser

It should be an epic trip.  Have fun and stay safe.  Can't wait to hear how it goes.

EEYAHOO have a blast Salty! Well ... you just MAKE a blast wherever you go great packing. I managed to pack nearly nothing for 2mo in Europe so we'll be naked and moneyless by the 5th week I think. Oh well, I hear nudity is tolerated here.

2015-08-28 2:38 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Fantastic Kirsten! A couple hundred meters of pity are nothing in the scheme of 226274 total meters. So, we won't hold it against you!

And great result, Melanie! It's awesome to be able to podium AND have things you can go forward developing. However the idea of eels that punch and kick is enough for me to stay out of the pool

Also, Ben completed a 130 mile ride on a bike with a broken front derailleur, which I believe he knew about before he started so it's an excellent accomplishment blending HTFU and uhhhh crazy?

No idea who this B-Ben-Bsomething guy is but that's awesome and "blending HTFU and uhhhhh crazy" I think is a perfect description of Manatees ...

CONGRATS KIRSTIRON AND PEACH MELBO!!!

2015-08-28 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Run focus starting in mid October and then full on run focus starting in December.  That's the plan, at least!

2015-08-28 8:47 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

Kind of but mine is for the spring. After this weekend HM I start back with riding and swimming. on Sunday I have 22 weeks until the Oly that will be my A race for the summer. I'm getting excited about it. But the truth is the planning always excites me the most. I am just one of those sad individuals.

For me, planning is exciting and nerve wracking.  So many races, so little time!  I'm always happy when I get things kinda scheduled.

I really enjoy the training.  I probably like the that even more than racing.

2015-08-28 8:50 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Run focus starting in mid October and then full on run focus starting in December.  That's the plan, at least!

Because of various things -mainly recovery, I've been run focused for the last year, but absent things like that; yes, I do make a transition.  Sometime in the spring I will start adding in more biking and amping up the swim. Then depending upon my last triathlon, which because I'm in Florida has often been mid- November, I ease off everything but running. 

2015-08-28 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 29-30
TJ - Ragnar Trail Angel Fire on Friday-Saturday
Adrienne - PCT weekend
Mary - Boulder Sunset Sprint tri on Saturday
Kate - Women's Triathlon Festival (Sprint) on Saturday
Yanti - Ironman Vichy on Sunday
Troy - Superior Man Triathlon on Sunday
Stacey - City to Surf half marathon on Sunday

2015-08-28 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

August 29-30
Adrienne - PCT weekend

WOO HOO, A BOAT LOAD OF RACING MANATEES!!! GO, GO GO!!

No DLers -yay!!

2015-08-28 9:03 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

August 29-30
Adrienne - PCT weekend

No DLers -yay!!

Re: DL, both you and Stacey are recovering from "the gunk" but that's all I know about.

2015-08-28 9:34 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

a few years ago my friends got a vizsla PUPPY! Yeah the adults need a lot of exercise but puppies are off the charts! And my friends are bikers/runners etc and this dog ran them ragged! LOL Maybe find a rescue group and get a 3 year old :D

Yeah, they generally do have lots of energy.  I had a friend who called his brother's vizsla a "run-around hound".  That's exciting, though.  I grew up with dogs, then was dogless for about 10 years after I left home.  I've had at least one since then and can't imagine my house without one. 

Randee's idea of a rescue is a good one.  They often foster the dogs so the dogs can recover from being in a shelter and the foster home can get an idea of the dog's strengths and challenges.  Plus the up-front cost is much less and you don't have to deal with puppy teeth and training.  I'm always tempted by adorable puppies, but then tell myself "TEETH".  Works every time!

2015-08-28 9:35 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

EEYAHOO have a blast Salty! Well ... you just MAKE a blast wherever you go great packing. I managed to pack nearly nothing for 2mo in Europe so we'll be naked and moneyless by the 5th week I think. Oh well, I hear nudity is tolerated here.

Yanti, did you at least manage to pack some underwear?

2015-08-28 9:40 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Me too.  My last tri is Sept. 26, then I'll start training for the Zion HM in March.  I'll do a bike or swim every week for some cross-training to keep my body happy.  Have fun with the CX (even if it is "pretend").

2015-08-28 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Steve, I'll throw a wrench in your decision. not really a wrench, just more options!

http://www.trailrunnermag.com/training/trail-tips/1244-top-10-dog-breeds-for-trail-runners

2015-08-28 9:48 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

August 29-30
Adrienne - PCT weekend

No DLers -yay!!

Okay, one last post before I start doing what I'm actually paid to do.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, MANATEES!!!!!! 
My race is gonna be a hot one.  Starts at 10:30, there's no shade and the high for the day is predicted to be in the upper 80's/lower 90's.  My goals for my race are (a) finish, and (b) not throw up.  I know I can do the 1st, not sure about the 2nd. 
Yay for healthy Manatees!  Let's keep it that way, huh?
2015-08-28 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Fall comes here around December 20th and Spring arrives in late February.  Winter is about 2 or 3 weeks long in there somewhere. 

Actually, run focus usually starts for me in October, but this year I'm hoping to get more biking in, mostly on the MTB.  I'll probably get signed up for an HM in early to mid Feb, which will give me more focus.  I'm not sure though, there are a number of options, like Flatwoods, Hillsborough River, and a few other trail races that I have enjoyed in the past.

Ann-Marie, are you doing Flatwoods this year?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66412 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27875 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11798 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37015 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66169 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.