BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-08-28 9:53 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

August 29-30
TJ - Ragnar Trail Angel Fire on Friday-Saturday
Adrienne - PCT weekend
Mary - Boulder Sunset Sprint tri on Saturday
Kate - Women's Triathlon Festival (Sprint) on Saturday
Yanti - Ironman Vichy on Sunday
Troy - Superior Man Triathlon on Sunday
Stacey - City to Surf half marathon on Sunday

Race well everyone!

Enjoy the weekend.

Heal up, wait nevermind that!!!!

2015-08-28 10:11 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by popsracer

Almost time for a change in seasons and overall focus.  Doesn't look like I'm going to get a chance at a 2nd HIM this year so with some big running races just around the corner I'm moving up my Fall focus.  Might get in an Oly next month so will do some biking/swimming but more as crosstraining for running.  I'll also start pretending I'm cyclocrossing on the local paths.  I have a sweet cx bike that has been sadly dormant.

Does anyone else do a major shift in training/racing in the Fall?

Fall comes here around December 20th and Spring arrives in late February.  Winter is about 2 or 3 weeks long in there somewhere. 

Actually, run focus usually starts for me in October, but this year I'm hoping to get more biking in, mostly on the MTB.  I'll probably get signed up for an HM in early to mid Feb, which will give me more focus.  I'm not sure though, there are a number of options, like Flatwoods, Hillsborough River, and a few other trail races that I have enjoyed in the past.

Ann-Marie, are you doing Flatwoods this year?

We haven't decided about Flatwoods yet.  I did really enjoy it this year, so unless something else comes up, probably.  I'm also thinking about doing Wildhorse again, although, I think I'd be on my own this year.  Have you considered it?

2015-08-28 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

My son is pressing hard for a dog and I think we are weakening.  The companionship and responsibility would be good for him and I think he is ready.  We took an online breed compatibility test that was quite extensive and a vizsla came back as the best fit.  So funny because my older, adult son has a vizsla.  I've taken him running before and they can run like you wouldn't believe.  Would be pretty cool to have a running buddy.

Steve, I'll throw a wrench in your decision. not really a wrench, just more options!

http://www.trailrunnermag.com/training/trail-tips/1244-top-10-dog-breeds-for-trail-runners

I woman I run with has a golden doodle.  he's almost 10 and still running strong.  In fact, he might beat me in our run streak challenge!! 

2015-08-28 10:26 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Almost time for a change in seasons and overall focus.  Doesn't look like I'm going to get a chance at a 2nd HIM this year so with some big running races just around the corner I'm moving up my Fall focus.  Might get in an Oly next month so will do some biking/swimming but more as crosstraining for running.  I'll also start pretending I'm cyclocrossing on the local paths.  I have a sweet cx bike that has been sadly dormant.

Fall comes here around December 20th and Spring arrives in late February.  Winter is about 2 or 3 weeks long in there somewhere. 

Actually, run focus usually starts for me in October, but this year I'm hoping to get more biking in, mostly on the MTB.  I'll probably get signed up for an HM in early to mid Feb, which will give me more focus.  I'm not sure though, there are a number of options, like Flatwoods, Hillsborough River, and a few other trail races that I have enjoyed in the past.

We haven't decided about Flatwoods yet.  I did really enjoy it this year, so unless something else comes up, probably.  I'm also thinking about doing Wildhorse again, although, I think I'd be on my own this year.  Have you considered it?

I'm on the fence. I love the course, even after the double ankle sprain issue the last time.  It is usually in mid Feb and that is the same time as Sarasota Music Half Marathon, which I want to do as well. If they are a week apart, then maybe. 2 weeks probably. Same weekend, not so much!  How about Everglades???

2015-08-28 10:33 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

My son is pressing hard for a dog and I think we are weakening.  The companionship and responsibility would be good for him and I think he is ready.  We took an online breed compatibility test that was quite extensive and a vizsla came back as the best fit.  So funny because my older, adult son has a vizsla.  I've taken him running before and they can run like you wouldn't believe.  Would be pretty cool to have a running buddy.

a few years ago my friends got a vizsla PUPPY! Yeah the adults need a lot of exercise but puppies are off the charts! And my friends are bikers/runners etc and this dog ran them ragged! LOL Maybe find a rescue group and get a 3 year old :D

Yeah, they generally do have lots of energy.  I had a friend who called his brother's vizsla a "run-around hound".  That's exciting, though.  I grew up with dogs, then was dogless for about 10 years after I left home.  I've had at least one since then and can't imagine my house without one. 

Randee's idea of a rescue is a good one.  They often foster the dogs so the dogs can recover from being in a shelter and the foster home can get an idea of the dog's strengths and challenges.  Plus the up-front cost is much less and you don't have to deal with puppy teeth and training.  I'm always tempted by adorable puppies, but then tell myself "TEETH".  Works every time!

I LOVE to look at puppy pictures but I have to keep reminding myself of those same things - chewing, potty training etc. Ideally I think I'd like a dog like yours - Australian Shepard, right? (or AS mix).

I work with a Greyhound Adoption group and I LOVE my goofball but sometimes I think it would be fun to have a dog that actually likes to go for walks and runs and maybe even be a trail dog. My dog gets about halfway to where we are going and decides she's had enough

2015-08-28 10:33 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!!!

August 29-30
Adrienne - PCT weekend

OMG ANOTHER weekend already?!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

2015-08-28 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm on the fence. I love the course, even after the double ankle sprain issue the last time.  It is usually in mid Feb and that is the same time as Sarasota Music Half Marathon, which I want to do as well. If they are a week apart, then maybe. 2 weeks probably. Same weekend, not so much!  How about Everglades???

i need to do Evergaldes again because I use the pack back they gave in 2013 just about every day, so it's getting a bit worn!! So, it's on the list of possible too!!

2015-08-28 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Racing Manatees!!!

August 29-30
Adrienne - PCT weekend

Good luck to all the racers! Adrienne's PCT weekend sounds like quite an adventure.  I'll look forward to reading about that later.  

Also GO YANTI!

2015-08-28 12:04 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, CO

a few years ago my friends got a vizsla PUPPY! Yeah the adults need a lot of exercise but puppies are off the charts! And my friends are bikers/runners etc and this dog ran them ragged! LOL Maybe find a rescue group and get a 3 year old :D

Yeah, they generally do have lots of energy.  I had a friend who called his brother's vizsla a "run-around hound".  That's exciting, though.  I grew up with dogs, then was dogless for about 10 years after I left home.  I've had at least one since then and can't imagine my house without one. 

Randee's idea of a rescue is a good one.  They often foster the dogs so the dogs can recover from being in a shelter and the foster home can get an idea of the dog's strengths and challenges.  Plus the up-front cost is much less and you don't have to deal with puppy teeth and training.  I'm always tempted by adorable puppies, but then tell myself "TEETH".  Works every time!

I LOVE to look at puppy pictures but I have to keep reminding myself of those same things - chewing, potty training etc. Ideally I think I'd like a dog like yours - Australian Shepard, right? (or AS mix). I work with a Greyhound Adoption group and I LOVE my goofball but sometimes I think it would be fun to have a dog that actually likes to go for walks and runs and maybe even be a trail dog. My dog gets about halfway to where we are going and decides she's had enough

We have a border collie and a border collie/cattle dog mix.  They're both a ton of fun and SUPER smart.  The BC/CD mix makes up her own games.  I really should video her when I'm on my trainer. She dives in and bangs my calf with her toy on every upstroke.  It's pretty hilarious except when she hits the latch on my shoe and loosens it up.

She gets bored with walking unless she can stop to sniff something every six feet and running is worse.  The other one, though, could run for days.  Unfortunately, he's faster than I am and tends to pull so I haven't taken him out as much as he'd like.  They both like to hike and has great recall so we can let them off-leash where allowed.

Mental stimulation works as well as physical exercise to wear them out.  We do nosework with them (a civilian version of sniffer dogs) and that works great.  DH tends to do that more with them than exercise because he feels guilty leaving one at home when he goes for a run.

2015-08-28 12:10 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Racing Manatees!!!

August 29-30
Adrienne - PCT weekend

OMG ANOTHER weekend already?! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

No kidding, seems I blinked and this week was over.  That happens when I'm busy at work.

I'm jealous of TJ at Ragnar.  So much fun running as a team with friends.  Good luck everyone!! 

2015-08-28 1:30 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I LOVE to look at puppy pictures but I have to keep reminding myself of those same things - chewing, potty training etc. Ideally I think I'd like a dog like yours - Australian Shepard, right? (or AS mix). I work with a Greyhound Adoption group and I LOVE my goofball but sometimes I think it would be fun to have a dog that actually likes to go for walks and runs and maybe even be a trail dog. My dog gets about halfway to where we are going and decides she's had enough

We have a border collie and a border collie/cattle dog mix.  They're both a ton of fun and SUPER smart.  The BC/CD mix makes up her own games.  I really should video her when I'm on my trainer. She dives in and bangs my calf with her toy on every upstroke.  It's pretty hilarious except when she hits the latch on my shoe and loosens it up.

She gets bored with walking unless she can stop to sniff something every six feet and running is worse.  The other one, though, could run for days.  Unfortunately, he's faster than I am and tends to pull so I haven't taken him out as much as he'd like.  They both like to hike and has great recall so we can let them off-leash where allowed.

Mental stimulation works as well as physical exercise to wear them out.  We do nosework with them (a civilian version of sniffer dogs) and that works great.  DH tends to do that more with them than exercise because he feels guilty leaving one at home when he goes for a run.

Ah it was the cattle dog face that threw me.

now I want to go home and (wake up) play with my dog

2015-08-28 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Racing Manatees!!!

August 29-30
Adrienne - PCT weekend

Race well everyone!

Enjoy the weekend.

Heal up, wait nevermind that!!!!

Race strong manatees! Do us all proud!

2015-08-28 4:29 PM

User image

Master

Gooooo racers!  Have fun, stay strong.

I am home from Denmark.  Had a great trip.  Bikes are still on their way home, but will hopefully will be here soon. 

4:18:4 RR

IM Copenhagen RR

2015-08-28 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

August 29-30
Adrienne - PCT weekend

WOO HOO, A BOAT LOAD OF RACING MANATEES!!! GO, GO GO!!

No DLers -yay!!

Re: DL, both you and Stacey are recovering from "the gunk" but that's all I know about.

GO MANATEES GO!

I think I'm good. I managed 9+ hours of flying and airports yesterday without the other passengers wanting to kill me. Checked the weather forecast for tomorrow and we will be getting wet. Thankfully they are no longer forecasting thunderstorms, just showers.
2015-08-29 6:34 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

TONNA RACERS, NO DL, YEAAAAAAAH!!!

Thanks everyone for the awesome support, also in the blog. I've been insanely busy--business stuff at home and family in major crisis but MUTTI IS OKAY, I AM OKAY, and we will be OKAY!!! Just means that I'm working my azz off--well, it's always effed up around races so this is normal prep

Vichy is gorgeous and it's looking to be a very hot day (for Europeans, perfect for us in mid-30s) which suits both Kingsley and I very well.

I will be taking wonderful strength from the Manatees and though I'm not making a support list (I love those) I will definitely be taking each of you with me, thinking especially of the other race/adventurers and will be praying/holding you close individually on parts of the race.

Neither Kingsley or I are trained (I've had a solid 4 weeks of good training, which is still more than usual!), but we're just happy to be here and do what we can!

GO TEEJ!!!
GO SALTY!!!
GO HAPPYSTONED!!!
GO KATIFROG!!!
GO ME!!! GO KINGSLEE!!!
GO MY PRECIOUS TROY OZ!!!
GO STACE FACE!!! We're racing together again on this anniversary, really

2015-08-30 9:01 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Stalking Yanti.  She's 1023 at IM Vinchy.  She's over halfway done with the bike -- past the 115k mark (of 180k) -- averaging about 23 kph

2015-08-30 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yanti finished the bike with a race time of 10:03 (swim + t1 + bike).  

2015-08-30 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

She's on the run!  Past the 14k mark (of 42.2k).  It looks like it's a 16:30 time limit so she has about 4:40 to finish 28.2k, if my math is correct.

2015-08-30 1:58 PM

User image

Master

She's on the run!  Past the 14k mark (of 42.2k).  It looks like it's a 16:30 time limit so she has about 4:40 to finish 28.2k, if my math is correct.

Gooooooo Yanti!

2015-08-30 2:05 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

she's through 19.3km on the run! GO YANTI!!!!!!!!!!
2015-08-30 2:29 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

she's through 19.3km on the run! GO YANTI!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering how Yanti was doing.   GO YANTI!!!

2015-08-30 4:51 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It looks like Yanti made it to 31.5 km and was pulled.  Great effort!  Bummer that she wasn't able to finish it. :-/

2015-08-30 5:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

It looks like Yanti made it to 31.5 km and was pulled.  Great effort!  Bummer that she wasn't able to finish it. :-/

Great job Yanti!

When I was speaking to Yanti a week or so ago I think she said the expectation was that if things went well that she would get the bike done and maybe some of the run. She did a fantastic job to make it that far through the run considering how ill she has been. She promised that she was going to listen to her body and take care of herself. Our little girl is growing up

Had a good run yesterday. Felt really good and the only time it really sucked was the heart break hill that they put at 2k to go. Even after and this morning I feel suprisingly good. It has made me wander if. I actually consistently trained whether I could move from the back of BOP to maybe the back of MOP. A thought worth perusing perhaps.

Edited by StaceyK 2015-08-30 5:20 PM
2015-08-30 6:00 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by StaceyK

Great job Yanti!

When I was speaking to Yanti a week or so ago I think she said the expectation was that if things went well that she would get the bike done and maybe some of the run. She did a fantastic job to make it that far through the run considering how ill she has been. She promised that she was going to listen to her body and take care of herself. Our little girl is growing up

Had a good run yesterday. Felt really good and the only time it really sucked was the heart break hill that they put at 2k to go. Even after and this morning I feel suprisingly good. It has made me wander if. I actually consistently trained whether I could move from the back of BOP to maybe the back of MOP. A thought worth perusing perhaps.

URGH SO CLOSE THOUGH! Good job Yanti - Proud of you!!

2015-08-30 6:09 PM

Master
Northern IL

Was in the Ride Across Wisconsin yesterday. 175 miles across lower Wisconsin, Dubuque IA to the beach in Kenosha WI. Went with my brother and the Trek crew. Rode The Awesome Bus from Trek HQ in Waterloo out to the place. Sitting right in front of me was multi time Ironman Champ Linsey Corbin. Sleeping in the spot behind was Bauke Mollema, #7 GC in the TdF this year. At the team dinner that evening some Euro guy sat down next to me. Think his most known quote is "Shut Up Legs". Used the same bike for this as last week too.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66448 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27899 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11804 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37045 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66194 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.