BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-05-26 1:07 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by cdban66

Adrienne, the bike looks good. Where did the tool kit come from?

http://www.builtbyswift.com/

They are a Seattle company who does bikepacking oriented stuff. 

2015-05-26 1:17 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Ugh, I've been yucky sick this last week.  I still have a lingering cough that scares my coworkers.  Hopefully getting back to training will be the cure for it.

Sweating it out is good, as long as you can breathe.   Hope you're feeling better, even if you do sound scary.

2015-05-26 1:40 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by brigby1

The running up of Angel's Landing was a challenge but not too crazy. The hiking portion where you are dangling off a 1000' drop holding onto a chain, however, was one of the scarier things I have done in my life.

I am proud of myself though because I am super scared of heights. 

Yeah, this one can get to people as it's rather narrow up there. Some of the spots most people have to use the chains or they can't make it. Also, both sides of the walking area drop off so there isn't really anywhere you can back off to. Did you get all the way up to the top of the canyon, like to Observation Point? I went around to a few up there and it was a bit easier to handle even though they are almost twice as high. You can slowly walk up to the ledge and back off at any time.

Although Observation itself was really easy because of the clouds that had rolled in. It was so foggy at that time I couldn't see far enough to tell if the 2000+ ft cliff was any bigger than what's in my neighborhood.

Yeah. But like Tom, I won't be doing it again! I think a big issues was that because I ran up my hands were quite sweaty, so the first few sections of chains were sketch. It was funny, all these people were praising me for being a "badazz" for runnning up. They were all trying to talk to me and ask questions and I was just like, "I'm really sorry but I really need to focus on what I am doing right now." while uncontrollably shaking. There goes the cred!

I had an excellent clear day both on the landing and down in the Narrows. Then, I grabbed a beer at the Brewery right by the gate and sat outside and a storm rolled in. It was absolutely beautiful. Leave it to the Seattlite to be sitting outside in a rain storm drinking a beer and eating a burger. 

No loss of cred here.  Terrified of heights.  I'm happy piloting a plane or even jumping out of one - no issues.  But cleaning the gutters is a harrowing experience!

We had lots of rain, beer and burgers here this weekend, too - but with slightly less picturesque surroundings. 

Matt

No loss here either. I stopped at about Scout Point as I wasn't feeling great that day. Not a place to mess around with. Now McMatt on the other hand ... ???

Kind of fun looking at these things in Strava again. Can't pull the exact info I want as run/hike is more limited, but seeing a change of around 1200 ft in a mile. Going up to Observation had several miles of 800-900 ft/mile.

2015-05-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

Adrienne, the bike looks good. Where did the tool kit come from?

http://www.builtbyswift.com/

They are a Seattle company who does bikepacking oriented stuff. 

Thanks!

2015-05-26 2:10 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

So, lots and lots of great stuff over the weekend but there was a big issue I had with some cyclists on Saturday that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

I was heading out of Vegas to Red Rock. Specifically I was on the 159 (Red Rock Canyon Road)  It is a highway with a rather large shoulder (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Las+Vegas,+NV/@36.146297,-115.383314,3a,75y,233.95h,77.93t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sD-Fizu0iQFOMXnW1obrwXg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x80beb782a4f57dd1:0x3accd5e6d5b379a3!6m1!1e1)

My navigation signal disappeared and I didn't know where I was going. There were cyclists and runners on the road and more than anything, it's just habit for me to pull over to do anything on my phone rather than fiddle with it while I am driving.

I looked over my shoulder and saw I was clear. There were cyclists about 200 yards back. I pulled way over on the shoulder, such that my car was not in the road but it was taking up the whole shoulder.

The cyclists were riding on the shoulder not the road and were approaching as I set up my nav. As they rode by the started cursing at me for "taking up the shoulder" and called me a series of names (mind you, they slowed down to do this) and then each one of them struck my rental car with their hands and feet.

Obviously I know that a few bad dudes don't represent cycling as a whole. I see plenty of good cyclists and try to be one myself. I am an advocate for cycling. But actions like this are a huge part of the tensions between cars and cyclists. It just really, really bothers me. I was in NO WAY in the wrong. Even if I was, this is such unacceptable behavior. I just couldn't believe it. I couldn't even think of something to say back to them. I just sat there is shock. 

2015-05-26 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So, lots and lots of great stuff over the weekend but there was a big issue I had with some cyclists on Saturday that leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

I was heading out of Vegas to Red Rock. Specifically I was on the 159 (Red Rock Canyon Road)  It is a highway with a rather large shoulder (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Las+Vegas,+NV/@36.146297,-115.383314,3a,75y,233.95h,77.93t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sD-Fizu0iQFOMXnW1obrwXg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x80beb782a4f57dd1:0x3accd5e6d5b379a3!6m1!1e1)

My navigation signal disappeared and I didn't know where I was going. There were cyclists and runners on the road and more than anything, it's just habit for me to pull over to do anything on my phone rather than fiddle with it while I am driving.

I looked over my shoulder and saw I was clear. There were cyclists about 200 yards back. I pulled way over on the shoulder, such that my car was not in the road but it was taking up the whole shoulder.

The cyclists were riding on the shoulder not the road and were approaching as I set up my nav. As they rode by the started cursing at me for "taking up the shoulder" and called me a series of names (mind you, they slowed down to do this) and then each one of them struck my rental car with their hands and feet.

Obviously I know that a few bad dudes don't represent cycling as a whole. I see plenty of good cyclists and try to be one myself. I am an advocate for cycling. But actions like this are a huge part of the tensions between cars and cyclists. It just really, really bothers me. I was in NO WAY in the wrong. Even if I was, this is such unacceptable behavior. I just couldn't believe it. I couldn't even think of something to say back to them. I just sat there is shock. 

I agree with your frustration. DH and I see bad behavior from cyclists on a regular basis and I am always frustrated that it just further strains the relationship between cyclists and drivers. As a cyclist we all occasionally need to go around a car sitting on the shoulder. No. Big. Deal.

I'm glad that you were able to brush it off and still have a great hike.

2015-05-26 2:26 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

I agree with your frustration. DH and I see bad behavior from cyclists on a regular basis and I am always frustrated that it just further strains the relationship between cyclists and drivers. As a cyclist we all occasionally need to go around a car sitting on the shoulder. No. Big. Deal.

And I know it's a heavy burden, but every single interaction with a motorists is an important one. We are the ambassadors and need make the best impression every.single.time. 

2015-05-26 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

And I know it's a heavy burden, but every single interaction with a motorists is an important one. We are the ambassadors and need make the best impression every.single.time. 

You are absolutely right. It shouldn't have to be that way but until cyclists are accepted as belonging on the roads (which will be a long time coming in most cities in the US) that's the way it is. 

2015-05-26 2:44 PM

User image

Seattle

You are absolutely right. It shouldn't have to be that way but until cyclists are accepted as belonging on the roads (which will be a long time coming in most cities in the US) that's the way it is. 

And I must admit, I was seething for a while with many, many thoughts of revenge while I was running. I think it can account for the blistering pace I set for the first half of my long run LOL 

2015-05-26 3:55 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

The running up of Angel's Landing was a challenge but not too crazy. The hiking portion where you are dangling off a 1000' drop holding onto a chain, however, was one of the scarier things I have done in my life.

I am proud of myself though because I am super scared of heights. 

When we were planning our recent Vegas to Zion trip that never left Vegas I was researching Angel's Landing and saw some youtube videos.  Very, very scary.  I know I would have frozen in the fetal position and they would have had to rescue me.  Good for you conquering the challenge.

2015-05-27 8:56 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So all you training plan gurus out there I have a question. In 2 weeks time I am due to start a 12 week training plan for the HM that I am doing at the end of August. Currently just working on a very low level base build and I am comfortable that the beginner plan that I have found builds at a conservative pace, so all good with that.

In order to keep me motivated I have been looking at smaller races to enter along the way. There aren't that many around as we are heading into winter now. But I found one on 26 July (5 weeks out from the HM). The race is on the Sunday and they are doing a 5km and a 15k. That week of my plan has the following:
Friday 5k
Saturday 12k
Sunday rest
Monday 7k
So would you do the 5k or the 15k and how would you rearrange the Friday to Monday plan (or would you)?
The weekend before this is a step back week and has a timed/test 5k scheduled would you just swap the 2 weeks and do the step back a week later?

2015-05-27 9:13 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK So all you training plan gurus out there I have a question. In 2 weeks time I am due to start a 12 week training plan for the HM that I am doing at the end of August. Currently just working on a very low level base build and I am comfortable that the beginner plan that I have found builds at a conservative pace, so all good with that. In order to keep me motivated I have been looking at smaller races to enter along the way. There aren't that many around as we are heading into winter now. But I found one on 26 July (5 weeks out from the HM). The race is on the Sunday and they are doing a 5km and a 15k. That week of my plan has the following: Friday 5k Saturday 12k Sunday rest Monday 7k So would you do the 5k or the 15k and how would you rearrange the Friday to Monday plan (or would you)? The weekend before this is a step back week and has a timed/test 5k scheduled would you just swap the 2 weeks and do the step back a week later?

What plan were you following?

2015-05-27 11:41 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by StaceyK So all you training plan gurus out there I have a question. In 2 weeks time I am due to start a 12 week training plan for the HM that I am doing at the end of August. Currently just working on a very low level base build and I am comfortable that the beginner plan that I have found builds at a conservative pace, so all good with that. In order to keep me motivated I have been looking at smaller races to enter along the way. There aren't that many around as we are heading into winter now. But I found one on 26 July (5 weeks out from the HM). The race is on the Sunday and they are doing a 5km and a 15k. That week of my plan has the following: Friday 5k Saturday 12k Sunday rest Monday 7k So would you do the 5k or the 15k and how would you rearrange the Friday to Monday plan (or would you)? The weekend before this is a step back week and has a timed/test 5k scheduled would you just swap the 2 weeks and do the step back a week later?

What plan were you following?

Yes, that would be helpful to know. I am having a hard time understanding what your volume and general training load looks like coming into this. 

2015-05-27 3:24 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

OK, honest thoughts of the manatees:  what would one's (ok, MY) biggest limiter be as far as running speed?  Weight?  Overall size? (I am NOT a small person, 5'10" and roughly 175 lbs)  Lack of natural running talent?  Form?  Breathing issues (EIA and VCD)?  A blend of all of the above?

I bring this up because in my last tri, I made some really nice gains in all disciplines including running, but running is still my most pathetic endeavour.  Swim and bike I finished top third and top half OA respectively (128/367 swim, 170/367 bike), top fourth women in both (28/122 swim, 29/122 bike).  Running I was in the back half of both OA and women (256/367 OA, 69/122 women).

It was very discouraging to be on the run, running my guts out, and being passed like I was standing still by so many people.

2015-05-27 3:26 PM

User image

Seattle

I'm doing this on Saturday with a teammate! It's a circumnavigation of St. Helens, approximately 33 miles or so. It will be slow going (probably going to take 9-10 hours or so) but it should be awesome. I've hiked to the top and snowboarded down but now I can get a real, intimate view of the whole mountain including running through the blast zone. 

2015-05-27 3:29 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So I will be in Las Cruces this Friday/Saturday for work so I researched doing my trail run there. I was looking at a trail that looked interesting but had the following disclaimer:

NOTE: Due to an intermittent problem with bandits in the area, it is not recommended to hike this mountain alone. Going in groups, or hiking on one of the several days each year the mountain is patrolled and open for touring is a safer option.

"Bandits"?!?! I guess I do live in the wild west.

2015-05-27 3:29 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

OK, honest thoughts of the manatees:  what would one's (ok, MY) biggest limiter be as far as running speed?  Weight?  Overall size? (I am NOT a small person, 5'10" and roughly 175 lbs)  Lack of natural running talent?  Form?  Breathing issues (EIA and VCD)?  A blend of all of the above?

I bring this up because in my last tri, I made some really nice gains in all disciplines including running, but running is still my most pathetic endeavour.  Swim and bike I finished top third and top half OA respectively (128/367 swim, 170/367 bike), top fourth women in both (28/122 swim, 29/122 bike).  Running I was in the back half of both OA and women (256/367 OA, 69/122 women).

It was very discouraging to be on the run, running my guts out, and being passed like I was standing still by so many people.

mileage!

2015-05-27 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I'm doing this on Saturday with a teammate! It's a circumnavigation of St. Helens, approximately 33 miles or so. It will be slow going (probably going to take 9-10 hours or so) but it should be awesome. I've hiked to the top and snowboarded down but now I can get a real, intimate view of the whole mountain including running through the blast zone. 

That will be incredible!

2015-05-27 3:30 PM

User image

Seattle

So I will be in Las Cruces this Friday/Saturday for work so I researched doing my trail run there. I was looking at a trail that looked interesting but had the following disclaimer:

NOTE: Due to an intermittent problem with bandits in the area, it is not recommended to hike this mountain alone. Going in groups, or hiking on one of the several days each year the mountain is patrolled and open for touring is a safer option.

Ha! 

Wow. That is pretty hilarious that of all the words they chose bandits. Heh heh heh. 

2015-05-27 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hahaha, for some reason, reading this I got the mental image of Blazing Saddles!   

2015-05-27 3:32 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

mileage!

That's kind of what I was thinking too.

2015-05-27 3:34 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

Hahaha, for some reason, reading this I got the mental image of Blazing Saddles!   

You are probably more on track than I but for some reason I had this image:

2015-05-27 3:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Ha! 

Wow. That is pretty hilarious that of all the words they chose bandits. Heh heh heh. 

I guess it's fitting, the description says that from the top one can see Mexico and Texas so.... (of course, that's not much of a stretch from SE New Mexico)

Edited by rrrunner 2015-05-27 3:36 PM
2015-05-27 3:43 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723

mileage!

That's kind of what I was thinking too.

So just keep running and maybe trying to run more?  Perhaps that can be some off-season focus for next year...

2015-05-27 3:44 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

TJ - bandits?!  Interesting choice of terminology, but scary just the same!

Adrienne - you do the most awesome stuff.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66423 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27887 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11800 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37028 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66182 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.