General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim faster in 17 days? sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-20 10:25 PM

Subject: swim faster in 17 days? sprint
Good evening. I'm a relatively non-serious newcomer to a sprint in 2 1/2 weeks with fairly solid running, decent biking, and very slow speed in water (1/2 mile in 24 minutes). Not a fitness issue and I've spent a decent amount of time in the pool (mostly a year ago). Definitely technique / naturalborn inefficiency. My girlfriend says minimize head / neck movement with breathing, kick faster / with smaller movements, and keep my arms in / scoop the water more, and maybe switch to alternating sides (breathe every 3 strokes). All good. Now assuming my fitness level is Olympian and I only need to drill until the race, what would you recommend? Other swimmers in the pool smoke me apparently without effort which doesnt make sense with my fitness level. Thanks in advance. Stuart, M, 49, Portland Oregon

2015-05-20 11:23 PM
in reply to: cast__iron

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: swim faster in 17 days? sprint
Private coach every other day until the race.
2015-05-20 11:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

It's pretty common for people starting out swimming to be much slower relative to their bike or run fitness, because swimming is so much about technique. But it's also about specific muscular endurance that you don't train with running and cycling. Like running and cycling, more swim mileage will eventually make you faster. Competitive swimmers do as much mileage in one day as many triathletes do in a week.

There may be something obvious in your technique that when corrected will make you faster quickly. But it is unlikely to happen that quickly such that you'll see a huge change before your race. Get some coaching to see what you correct, but eventually you'll be doing more mileage.

One thing you could try that helped me was making sure I was rotating my body with each breath (rather than rotating my head). If you do "fists" drill it will help reinforce this rotation. Also make sure you aren't "running your legs" in a cycling motion, which will actually serve to move you backwards instead of forwards. Feet should be like floppy flippers and most of the energy should come from your hips.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2015-05-20 11:39 PM
2015-05-21 1:04 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

Competitive swimmers do as much mileage in one day as many triathletes do in a week.

^This I was 31/167 in my sprint tri earlier this season while having a TERRIBLE swim, and my biggest week this year I'd put in maybe 3500m in the pool?

The other day I swam with a friend, put in my longest session of the year, a 2250, while she was doing more like 3750!!

I second the suggestion that the fastest improvements ultimately would come from getting a coach to fix anything that is horribly wrong, and might be able to give you some cues to help minimize your losses in the water, but ultimately it's a skill based sport and there just isn't time for huge improvements from sheer time in the water.

I used to spin my arms endlessly and quit swimming mid length, tearing off my goggles and swimcap tossing them across the water out of disgust for my lack of progress, swearing to not enter the pool again until I got a swim coach.

Turned out to be the best idea I had that year :p
2015-05-21 7:06 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by cast__iron

Definitely technique / naturalborn inefficiency.

Guess what, we are land animals. Swimming is learned for all of us so get the natural born inefficacy out of your head its the same for all of us. You are just starting later in life. Find a good swim instructor and start with the basics
2015-05-21 11:47 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Swim Coach! The efficiency will make you much faster with less effort

2015-05-21 12:28 PM
in reply to: #5117149

User image

I think your girlfriend is correct. When I entered the sport, I joined a masters class which really helped my endurance. My problem was I was still the worst of the group. I swam with a college swimmer and then a new coach. They were so much faster with what seemed to be half the effort. Yes, they both alternated sides when breathing, breathed every 3 strokes. I also noticed that each stroke ended with kind of a glide. The tough thing is I had to unlearn bad habits. What did it for me is that I started breathing facing the same lane rope down and back in a 25 yard pool. That forced me to learn the weaker side. Once I was able to start alternating sides, I tried to glide until I almost starting sinking until I started my next stroke. And most of all I never looked at the clock. Over time, I learned to go faster with less effort. It was also a bit of visualization....kind of like your girlfriend is doing by watching the really good swimmers. This might not be a coach's advice but it worked for me.
2015-05-21 12:29 PM
in reply to: #5117149

User image

I think your girlfriend is correct. When I entered the sport, I joined a masters class which really helped my endurance. My problem was I was still the worst of the group. I swam with a college swimmer and then a new coach. They were so much faster with what seemed to be half the effort. Yes, they both alternated sides when breathing, breathed every 3 strokes. I also noticed that each stroke ended with kind of a glide. The tough thing is I had to unlearn bad habits. What did it for me is that I started breathing facing the same lane rope down and back in a 25 yard pool. That forced me to learn the weaker side. Once I was able to start alternating sides, I tried to glide until I almost starting sinking until I started my next stroke. And most of all I never looked at the clock. Over time, I learned to go faster with less effort. It was also a bit of visualization....kind of like your girlfriend is doing by watching the really good swimmers. This might not be a coach's advice but it worked for me.
2015-05-21 12:35 PM

If you're swimming a half mile in 24 minutes, and given your big lack of swim-specific background/training, it is almost certain that you have not just a technique limiter, but a HUGE swim-fitness limiter. 

Remember, just because you are a strong runner/cyclist, does not mean you can jump in the pool and expect to be fast right away (unless you happen to be extremely talented at swimming.) In fact, you will probably be as good as any ol' nonathlete learning swimmer in the pool in the beginning, which is about a  24 minute half mile pace. 

In order to tap into your aerobic engine you built running/cycling, you must have the muscular endurance in the swim-arm motion to match. This takes a lot of training and hard work. 

It is a total myth that people should be swimming at even MOP speeds with zero swim fitness, and just 'magic technique.' You need swim-specific muscular endurance, and running and cycling do NOT build this whatsoever. On the bright side, you should improve pretty quickly with your ability to suffer based on your run/cycling training.

And yes, technique technique technique is still the name of the game until you're readily swimming 2:00/100yds paces for distance - you'll pick up the low-level musular endurance you need at that level just from technique training. After that though, gotta start cranking it up.

Edited by yazmaster 2015-05-21 12:36 PM
2015-05-21 1:26 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by yazmaster

It is a total myth that people should be swimming at even MOP speeds with zero swim fitness, and just 'magic technique.'

That is an interesting statement. I taught my son to swim many years ago and he has fairly good technique, but never did any competitive swimming or swam laps. He is also very fit, plays a lot of soccer and runs some(17 years old). In a couple weeks when the summer pool opens I'll see if I can talk him into swimming some timed 100's and 200's for me. Just a curious test, I'll post results if I can talk him into it.

Edited by mike761 2015-05-21 1:27 PM
2015-05-21 1:58 PM

I'm going to be a bit contrarian here.

Here's what I know about myself: when I'm in the water in a race my form reverts to whatever I have practiced most. Last summer when I was self-coaching with drills, no matter what I practiced in the pool I would get a couple hundred yards in and I would have fallen back into my old habits. If you're similar then any sort of technique alteration over the next 2 1/2 weeks is not going to "stick" come race time, whether you're self-coached or coached by a dude on the deck.

Because you're limited on time, I would structure it this way: I would do three swim workouts/week in the next two weeks. The first week I would focus mainly on volume. Work towards increasing your single-workout yardage by 125% - 150%. The second week I would focus more on speed/sprinting.

You probably won't get fast or efficient in 2 1/2 weeks. But with your fitness base you can be stronger and fitter and inefficient on race day.

Once you have a longer block of time (i.e. three months, minimum) find a coach. Efficiency is way more important than fitness in swimming, but efficiency isn't something you can learn quickly. Efficiency really comes over the course of a few months with someone watching you and devising drills to help fix the problems with your stroke. I started with a coach in December and I've managed to drop about a minute off of a 400 yd TT by swimming 2-3x/wk.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

2015-05-21 2:33 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by mike761

It is a total myth that people should be swimming at even MOP speeds with zero swim fitness, and just 'magic technique.'

That is an interesting statement. I taught my son to swim many years ago and he has fairly good technique, but never did any competitive swimming or swam laps. He is also very fit, plays a lot of soccer and runs some(17 years old). In a couple weeks when the summer pool opens I'll see if I can talk him into swimming some timed 100's and 200's for me. Just a curious test, I'll post results if I can talk him into it.

I think this applies more at longer distances.  I swam and played water polo in school.  Now, many years later, I could jump in and swim a fast 100 without  much in the way of workouts.  But the pace dropoff at 500, or a mile or more is terrible.  And keep in mind most triathlons are at least 800.

2015-05-21 2:45 PM

THANKS EVERYONE! I'M GOING TO IMPLEMENT YOUR SUGGESTIONS, MUCH APPRECIATED.
2015-05-21 3:08 PM
in reply to: spudone

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by mike761

I think this applies more at longer distances.  I swam and played water polo in school.  Now, many years later, I could jump in and swim a fast 100 without  much in the way of workouts.  But the pace dropoff at 500, or a mile or more is terrible.  And keep in mind most triathlons are at least 800.

Even more importantly, if you did ANY significant water sports, be it club swimming, YMCA swimming, or water polo, in the past, yes, of course, you can either come back to speed MUCH faster or even be pretty decent right out of the bat even 'out of shape.'

This totally does not apply to the OP who has zero swim background and has never swam faster than 24min for a half mile, he's got to put in some work before getting up to speed. 

It's no different with running and other sports - if you had it before, you can get it back much, much faster than someone who's getting it de novo. This doesn't mean that your swim technique is solely responsible - recovering fitness is an enormous component - just look at the arm turnover of someone going 1:30/100 after a long layoff compared to 2:20 - you cannot technique your way to that sort of arm turnover. 

If swimming was almost all technique for speed, and very little fitness component, people would be getting very fast by just doing slow drills and refining strokes carefully. But watch how any good swim program works, and they swim hard, and a lot. 

2015-05-22 12:49 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Yup... 14-16 km daily ...
2015-05-22 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
https://youtu.be/qo4sXVHnXSg

Lane 4 .... 3rd from bottom...

2015-05-22 2:27 PM

Again, I'm blown away by all the great responses, you've all inspired me to get a coach, spend time in water and kick in my swim time in 2016. I don't know how anyone here finds time to sleep and cook meals though.
2015-05-22 2:41 PM

User image

Pro

While you're at it, tell your GF that swimmers don't "scoop water"......they pull themselves through it.  You aren't moving water, you're moving your body.  BIG difference.

2015-05-23 11:31 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

reminds me of a principle I learned in Brazilian jiu jitsu - try pushing 10 people off of you vs pushing yourself off of 10 people.
2015-05-23 3:39 PM

User image

My girlfriend says minimize head / neck movement with breathing, kick faster / with smaller movements, and keep my arms in / scoop the water more, and maybe switch to alternating sides (breathe every 3 strokes).

Kicking faster is probably NOT the answer. The last thing you want to do in a triathlon is wear your legs out in the swim. Many novice swimmers over-kick (either in motion or in frequency) just to keep their lower bodies from sinking because they have their center of balance too far forward. If you keep your head down and "lean forward" a little, moving the center of balance from your shoulder area closer to your hips, you won't have to fight to keep your legs from sinking. Then all it takes is a little "flick kick" with each stroke to counteract the rotational forces.

As for the breathing, don't be afraid to rotate your head, but it should be on the same axis as your entire body. If you're turning and lifting, you're likely shifting that weight rearward and driving your legs down, which is increasing drag and increasing the energy you have to put into the kick to keep from sinking.

Edited by gary p 2015-05-23 3:43 PM
2015-05-24 2:03 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

reminds me of a principle I learned in Brazilian jiu jitsu - try pushing 10 people off of you vs pushing yourself off of 10 people.

I like this!

can you post a video? you can get some good feeback although you might not kno what to do with it. If you swim 1/2 mile in 24 minutes I bet we could find one or twot hings you coudl do between now and then to knock a few minutes off but more importantly, keep you fresher at the end of your swim so you start your bike ride feeling great.

2015-05-24 4:00 PM

User image

I was much the same. I was a good runner, okay biker and slow swimmer. I've been working a lot on my swimming over the last two years, took a master's class, practice 2 - 3 times a week and I've made incremental gains. Some people make a quick jump in speed when they get some training in but for most, the progress is glacial. I'd say go for the long term. Get coaching and work on technique.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim faster in 17 days? sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

3.17.13--St Pat's Day Training Log

Started by lutzman
Views: 888 Posts: 18

2013-03-18 10:01 AM tvmendoza

Weirdly Fast Swim Day

Started by n.k
Views: 776 Posts: 5

2011-02-11 1:29 PM n.k

Swim faster by not swimming slow

Started by E=H2O
Views: 1972 Posts: 14

2010-04-22 12:52 PM E=H2O

Help me swim faster - recommend a swim workout

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1132 Posts: 4

2009-08-28 10:05 AM tkd.teacher

Swim drill guaranteed to make you swim fast

Started by ohiost90
Views: 2365 Posts: 21

2008-07-19 9:01 AM ditchdoc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
comments : 0
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.

date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : August 17, 2007
author : daveo1101
comments : 4
Being a fast swimmer put me up with the faster athletes. As expected, they started to pass me soon out of transition. Some would just slowly pass. Others with aero wheels would literally buzz by.
date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.