General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Triathlon in August, Marathon in September. Is this possible? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-21 10:58 PM

User image

Subject: Sprint Triathlon in August, Marathon in September. Is this possible?
Hi!

I don't know what's worse - having no inspiration or TOO much inspiration.

I'm in the too much inspiration place right now.

I'm signed up for the Iron Girl Sprint Triathlon in Grimsby in August (Surprised myself after the disasterous try-a-tri last year), and I got myself a fancy new watch to train with.

And I'm working out and eating healthy, and NOW I'm thinking about what other races I want to do.

Signed up for Muderella, which will be fine. I can train for that on my breaks at work.

Now, I want to go on an adventure for a fall race. Originally I was thinking of doing a half marathon, but Inspiration struck and now, I'm thinking of a full marathon (In Allen, PA - Lehigh Valley).

So, tell me, what should I do.

Is it possible to train for a full marathon and still a sprint tri?? Or should I do a half marathon?

I want to do everything and get the best results...

Thanks in advance!!

2015-05-22 12:48 AM
in reply to: tigrrruns

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Sprint Triathlon in August, Marathon in September. Is this possible?
If you're fit enough for a marathon, you're fit enough for a sprint tri, assuming you know how to swim and ride a bike.

I'd substitute some non-key sessions from the marathon training for bike sessions, and add in some swimming.

You might not be as fast as if you did a build specifically for the sprint, but still have a lot of fun.

My 2c
2015-05-22 2:39 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Subject: RE: Sprint Triathlon in August, Marathon in September. Is this possible?
Wow!! Thanks so much.

I found a plan that has 2 days off and 1 "Flex day" - so 1 bike day (or brick) and 2 swim days kind of idea?? The swimming is what I need to work on.
2015-05-22 9:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
the Grimsby event is a REALLY good & fun one!!
I went up with a bunch of girlfriends for the 1st one they held, and we had a blast.
(so GREAT choice there!!)

The swim there IS shallow & I believe still runs parallel to the shore.
& the crowd there is crazy supportive (that includes your fellow racers!)

so again: you picked the perfect sprint!

As far as the marathon goes, why not??
lots of time to train... you're motivated... so go for it!

(but I REALLY can't wait to hear what you think of irongirl after the fact!!!)
2015-05-22 9:11 AM
in reply to: nicruns

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

If this is your first marathon, don't do it.  Marathon training takes a LOT out of the body and complete dedication to just running with maybe yoga to cross train at the most.

I did 1 marathon nearly 2 years ago after many years in triathlon and it destroyed me.  Seasoned marathoners all told me not to do anything else for my first--not even ride for fun on my cross training days.  They were right.

2015-05-22 10:51 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Cypress, Texas

I have done a few full marathons and a dozen half marathons.  I really like the half marathons.  I can run them fast and bounce back and racing another event 2 weeks later.  I also can even do well when I have very little time to train.  My last 1/2 marathons I was only running 3 days a week for a total of around 25 miles and still was able have the 2nd faster overall gun time out of 240 participants. 

I would never sign up for a Marathon unless I could commit to training 6 days a week for 3-4 month and put 40+ miles a week in.  I haven't done a Marathon since I started training for Triathlons though.  If I were to sign up for a Marathon in September and a Sprint Tri in August (which is about par for my interests and abilities) I would not have a problems with cross training to prepare for a Marathons.  For my highest volume week I would probably want to run at least 40 miles.  I have done around 50 miles during peak training weeks for past marathons so that is within my abilities. In addition to my running miles I would probably try to get in three cycling session a week and three swimming sessions a week.  I current do 6 morning work outs a week and three lunch break work outs a weeks.  So I would probably do two run focused weekday morning workouts (5-8 miles) and two brick work outs (40-50 minutes on the bike followed by 25-35 minutes running), a bike focused weekday workout, and a long run on Saturday mornings (18-22 miles with 12 miles on rest weeks).  I would swim 30-40 minutes over my lunch break the 3 days I have the easiest weekday morning workouts.  Sundays are my rest day.  

The key to marathon training is to do your long runs every week.  If you get those in and are doing the total running volume every week and still have time to do the cross training too, then the Sprint and the Marathon are possible.  I guess it just comes down to if you have the time to do all the work outs for two events and if you can build up to them from you current level of training/fitness.  If not consider doing a 1/2 Marathon in September.  The fitness level to complete a Half marathon is very similar to the fitness level for a Sprint Triathlon so they would be easier to tackle.

2015-05-22 11:21 AM

User image

Post Falls, Idaho
Some more questions to consider: Do you "like" to run long? How long are your long runs now? Have you done any other running races (10K, Half Marathon) to build your race experience?

Arbitrarily picking a marathon without some work and enjoyment leading up to that decision is not a good idea in my opinion.

My first marathon was a huge slap of reality. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. It was. By mile 20 I couldn't believe I still had over 6 miles left to go. Ouch. I finished, but I wasn't proud of my performance and it took me a long time to recover and honestly it burned me out on running for a while.

Technically, I have no doubt you "can" do a Sprint in Aug and a Marathon in Sept. A Sprint is a short high intensity workout that is not going to take a long time to recover from. You also have plenty of time to prepare for the marathon if you make it a priority (which should be the main focus of your training plan if you do decide to do it - the Sprint should become a "C" race).

I think you would have more fun targeting a 1/2 marathon in the fall and building a plan to help you finish that at your absolute best versus "just finishing" a marathon. You'll learn a lot more about endurance running and be in a better position to attack a marathon next season if the bug is still there.

The big honest question I'd ask is if your novelties are moving you to bite off more than you really should at this point and will it benefit you in the long term?

It sounds like you are really in your first season of "fitness" and learning to run and train. There's no rush. Enjoy the journey.
2015-05-22 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

People I know that have done a marathon for the 1st time always say they wish they had more training time or wish they didn't get sick during training or... Ever hear of the comment that "20 miles is half way" for a marathon, now think, can you do the 2nd half! 

I had fun training for my 1st standalone HM in 2010/11, I did a HIM a few years before that and few 15k's the years up to that point and went after a solid PR for the HM.  I won't touch a Marathon, 20 years ago sure I may have and suffered but these days I a different set of limits!

2015-05-22 11:34 PM
in reply to: rframe

User image

Thank you so much, everyone!

I had a good nights sleep for the first time in weeks (I work nights - it's hard to sleep during the day most times), read your advice and spoke to my best friend (whom I met training for my first marathon man moons ago).

I also talked to my step-dad. He walked a half marathon when I did my last marathon (It's contagious, I tell you) and he's looking at training for something too - like a half marathon. It was kind of fun, we looked at a race calendar and we found some races. So NOW we're looking at turning it into a mini family vacation.

Hershey, PA. It's a run in the town that made chocolate. If that doesn't work out, there's a Rock and Roll one in Philadelphia or a Run Like a Diva one in Long Island, NY, all in October. So that leaves me 2 months AFTER the Sprint and it also seems more manageable to train for both. PLUS, I mean I could actually build properly for the sprint and maybe even do well.

Still inspired and looking to what other fun things I can put into my race schedule this year.

Going to stick around here, if you'll have me.

This place is pretty cool!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Triathlon in August, Marathon in September. Is this possible? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Predicting possible marathon time from 5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon Pages: 1 2

Started by jdl2012
Views: 4710 Posts: 31

2013-07-13 12:12 PM trishie

I am now a sprint triathlon finisher ,

Started by tim92070
Views: 1583 Posts: 17

2011-05-09 12:42 PM dandr614

Am I ready for a Sprint Triathlon

Started by TableKnight
Views: 5732 Posts: 20

2010-08-12 7:52 PM TableKnight

July/August/Early September Marathon??

Started by canadarn2001
Views: 513 Posts: 2

2010-03-24 5:50 AM jsselle

Denison Dash Sprint Tri September 25th

Started by sblack
Views: 584 Posts: 13

2004-09-24 9:50 AM Aikane
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.