1/2 bagel 1 banana 3hrs before race. 1 powergel 40min before gun time
Event warmup:

Sitting by the fire barrel in my Super Mario Bro's jammies
Run
  • 3h 35m 24s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

The day started out promising. It was cold at the start, and there were actually a couple snow flurries, but we could see a little blue sky to the east, and some more to the west down the canyon. That soon changed, and the canyon was socked in with dark angry clouds. I was gonna get soaked, but I took solace in the fact that I would not be alone.

The first 7 miles were great. I was right on pace, maybe a touch ahead. I tried very hard to just flow easy through those miles. Taking the free speed from the downhill course without exhausting myself. Took a GU at mile 5 and powerade at the other two aid station. It started raining about 2mi into the race, but I still felt comfortable.

Mile 7-13 felt good. The course flattened, and had some slight uphills. Pace was solid right where I wanted to be. Effort was good. Around the halfway mark is when I really started to notice the cold. My hands were starting to HURT, but everything else was doing fine. Somehow I missed the GU station at mi 9.

Mile 13-22 this is where I lost my goal. Mile 14 has a hill. It was tougher than I expected, and I had a hard time picking up the pace after. Then at mile 15.5 I had to stop and use the porta, and tighten my left shoe. That stop cost me three minutes, and put me behind pace. I started down the lower canyon, and was running below pace, I just didn't have enough energy to pick up the pace. I was scanning the roadside for dropped gloves. Finally found a pair and was able to get at least my fingers covered. Somehow I also missed the GU station at mile 17 :(

Mile 22-finish. What can I say. It's tough to run a marathon while packing a piano..... The wheels totally came off about mile 23. I did get a gel in from the mi 23 aid station, but it was far too late. I had to take several walking breaks. When running I was reduced to the dead mans shuffle. dozens of runners blew past me in the final miles. It hurt, but I finished.

Yes, it is a shiny new PR for me, yet I can't help but be a little disappointed. I know I had a 3:15 to 3:20 in me. I guess it is just going to have to wait a little longer to show.
What would you do differently?:

1. Carry my own nutrition in a squeeze bottle. If I could have staved off the bonk then I should have easily completed in 3:25

2. Speed work in training. Having one more gear should make this pace feel better even after 26.2 miles

3. Train more. Let's face it. I have only been running for two years. This has been a great accomplishment!

4. Dress better for the environment. Gloves and heaters would have made a huge difference
Post race
Warm down:

Tried for a massage, but I was cramping and shivering too much for the ladies to do any good. Almost ended in medical, but the warming tent, and hot broth delivered by fantastic volunteers pulled me up. Got warm enough to go to the truck, and sit with the heater on to really get better.

Ate half a subway Ham sandwich, then grabbed an umbrella (my wife is awesome about having stuff like that stashed in the truck) and went to cheer my wife in on her first marathon! I was worried she was not going to be happy, but she crossed that finish line with a smile!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather was a factor, so was a couple blisters. What it really boils down to is blasting out too fast, and then missing three critical nutrition stops. I am not trained well enough yet to hold on for 26.2 with just my onboard glycogen.

Event comments:

Well ran race. It has the best race shirt that I have received to date. A quality long sleeved 1/4 zip tech shirt. I was too cold and mentally fatigued to notice much about the finish area, but all the volunteers were top notch!

Last updated: 2015-05-20 12:00 AM
Running
03:35:24 | 26.2 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/171
Overall: 171/2144
Performance: Average
Course: Down upper Ogden canyon, around the reservoir, and then down the lower canyon. A few miles along a paved greenbelt/river path, then about a mile straight shot to the finish line
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-05-21 11:09 PM

User image

Subject: Ogden Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ogden Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ogden Marathon

Started by brappleye3
Views: 827 Posts: 1

2010-06-01 9:01 AM brappleye3

Ogden Marathon

Started by stagmc53
Views: 835 Posts: 2

2010-05-19 10:04 AM BigDH

Ogden Marathon

Started by davidwilkes
Views: 1189 Posts: 1

2008-07-11 1:19 PM davidwilkes

Ogden Marathon

Started by Pilgrim
Views: 998 Posts: 1

2008-05-18 1:26 PM Pilgrim

Ogden Marathon

Started by runningfoo
Views: 1336 Posts: 7

2006-05-13 8:35 PM rabkaman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"