General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run pace/HR question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-22 10:39 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: Run pace/HR question
I am training for IMAZ, this will be my second full.

I am not a fast runner. By not fast I mean my 5K PR is 10:13 pace.
While I understand my run training is supposed to be zone 2. I already know how to run slow, been doing it for years. If I go the pace my body is comfortable with I'm around 12:00-12:30 depending on temperature.
I have been pushing myself in my runs (logs are current).
Am I doing harm or at least more harm than good?
This pace is difficult for me but I can do it for 5+ miles.
My thinking is once my runs really get long (2 hours+) there is plenty of time for zone 2.
This is the first time in many years I have been getting a bit faster and I would really like to keep the momentum going.

So.... is going a bit 'faster' OK for now?
When do I really need to start staying in zone 2?

2015-05-22 10:51 AM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Run pace/HR question
Based on your 5k pr, McMillan suggests the following paces for your endurance runs:

Recovery Jogs: 12:27-13:23
Long runs: 11:37-12:44
Easy runs (medium distance): 11:34-12:15

So no, I don't think you're running too fast in your training. The only time you want to go real slow is on the short recovery runs.
2015-05-22 11:06 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Keri,

Due to limited workout time, I favor intensity over volume, but I have to say that I think you'd benefit from....more (run) volume. Pushing yourself during runs has its place, but having a good base to build on is important. I find that if I have a layoff from running and add intensity, things start to get tender or hurt.

I know you're still months out from IMAZ, but start training the run now for a good run in November.

Good luck!
2015-05-22 11:39 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Jet Black Based on your 5k pr, McMillan suggests the following paces for your endurance runs:

So no, I don't think you're running too fast in your training. The only time you want to go real slow is on the short recovery runs.

I agree with Jet Black.  When I was HM training I found that the McMillan paces off of a recent 5k/10k correlated well with my LT field test HR zones.  As you progress in the training your pacing should naturally slowly decrease so resetting the pacing with another run race or just use the HR zones will ensure your progress along well.

2015-05-22 6:50 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

What the others said. Basically you need to make sure you aren't running too much in zone 3 except maybe the final 30 minutes of a long run to get you used to pushing at the end. Running in Z3 doesn't help you much unless you're pretty close to a half/full marathon and plan to run at that pace. Running at Z2 and Z4/Z5 exclusively is what has helped me the most. Run intervals need to be at Z4. My favorite workout is 2x20 min /w 10 minute rest interval, which means pretty much 2 5K efforts in one workout. If you're falling to zone 3, then you didn't rest enough before the interval. Rest intervals should be super easy (zone 1) so you can push hard when it counts.
2015-05-23 7:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Some others touched on this, but I'd suggest, in this order:

1. Run more per week.  You're only averaging about 10-12 miles per week recently.  Unless you're recovering from an injury, or a beginner, doing walk/run intervals, that's not much volume.  4 runs/ week is the absolute minimum, and 5-6 is better.
  2. Run at varying intensities and distances.  A "longish" Z2 run, 2 short-to-medium Z2 runs, A medium interval run (pace intervals, fartlek, or similar), a short-to-medium "tempo" run (Z3 to low Z4).

ETA:  One other thing, it should go without saying, but progressive overload is also essential for improvements.  I recently posted this about it on one of my Facebook pages:  Milo of Croton

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-05-23 8:01 AM

2015-05-24 8:03 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by Jet Black

Based on your 5k pr, McMillan suggests the following paces for your endurance runs:

Thank you so much, very helpful information.
2015-05-24 8:05 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by TriMyBest

1. Run more per week.  You're only averaging about 10-12 miles per week recently.  Unless you're recovering from an injury, or a beginner, doing walk/run intervals, that's not much volume.  4 runs/ week is the absolute minimum, and 5-6 is better.
  2. Run at varying intensities and distances.  A "longish" Z2 run, 2 short-to-medium Z2 runs, A medium interval run (pace intervals, fartlek, or similar), a short-to-medium "tempo" run (Z3 to low Z4).

ETA:  One other thing, it should go without saying, but progressive overload is also essential for improvements.  I recently posted this about it on one of my Facebook pages:  Milo of Croton

I understand you are trying to be helpful and appreciate your response.
However, running 5-6 times a week isn't even remotely possible for me or most people I know.
I have to ride, swim, mother 5 children, homeschool, coach 2 volleyball teams and work outside the home 20+ hours a week.

This is a hobby, not my life and I think that is likely true for most folks here.

2015-05-24 10:36 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by KeriKadi

However, running 5-6 times a week isn't even remotely possible for me or most people I know.
I have to ride, swim, mother 5 children, homeschool, coach 2 volleyball teams and work outside the home 20+ hours a week.

This is a hobby, not my life and I think that is likely true for most folks here.

I hear what you are saying, but honestly, if you want to improve your running, you do need to run more. It's the standard answer to these types of posts because, well, it IS the answer to getting faster. Yes, we all know it's difficult to run 5 - 6 times a week when juggling swim and bike sessions. Most of us are juggling families, work, and other responsibilities. But perhaps you could do a focused block of just running where you ditch the other two sports? A few months of just running and you could see some huge results based on the times you're posting now.

And no, you're not doing yourself any harm by running faster so long as you feel you're recovering well enough. The harder you run, the better you'll get. But honestly, at your volume, you'll be able to reap a lot of rewards simply by increasing your volume, no need to get fancy with workouts/speed work, stuff like that. Just get out and run as much as you can. Another tip/suggestion. . . .my family commitments at times make it very difficult for me to get away from the home, I can't just leave the kids alone. A treadmill is worth it's weight in gold. It's a lot easier to find the time to jump on that treadmill for a few minutes than it is to put some stuff on and get outside.

Edited by ziggie204 2015-05-24 10:41 PM
2015-05-25 7:03 AM

User image

Durham, North Carolina

I understand it might not be possible or more likely just might not be something you are interested in doing since this is just a hobby. To try to get more runs in I would add 2-3 10-15 minute z2 (low to mid z2) runs to what you currently do. That would make your run training fairly closely resemble the Barry P plan (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485;search_string=runtraining). That being said, you need to do what you enjoy so you don't get burnt out and still have fun training.
2015-05-25 11:59 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Pro
Houston
Of course I agree "run more" or "ride more" is the answer most of the time.
I know I could be faster if I was willing to do more running including speedwork.
Please note, I did not ask how to get faster.
Honestly, I am pretty happy running in the low 11s right now and just wanted to make sure that wasn't too hard considering I am in the early stages of iM training.
Thanks for all the replies.

Originally posted by ziggie204

I hear what you are saying, but honestly, if you want to improve your running, you do need to run more. It's the standard answer to these types of posts because, well, it IS the answer to getting faster. Yes, we all know it's difficult to run 5 - 6 times a week when juggling swim and bike sessions. Most of us are juggling families, work, and other responsibilities. But perhaps you could do a focused block of just running where you ditch the other two sports? A few months of just running and you could see some huge results based on the times you're posting now.

And no, you're not doing yourself any harm by running faster so long as you feel you're recovering well enough. The harder you run, the better you'll get. But honestly, at your volume, you'll be able to reap a lot of rewards simply by increasing your volume, no need to get fancy with workouts/speed work, stuff like that. Just get out and run as much as you can. Another tip/suggestion. . . .my family commitments at times make it very difficult for me to get away from the home, I can't just leave the kids alone. A treadmill is worth it's weight in gold. It's a lot easier to find the time to jump on that treadmill for a few minutes than it is to put some stuff on and get outside.

2015-05-25 12:59 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by KeriKadi Of course I agree "run more" or "ride more" is the answer most of the time. I know I could be faster if I was willing to do more running including speedwork. Please note, I did not ask how to get faster. Honestly, I am pretty happy running in the low 11s right now and just wanted to make sure that wasn't too hard considering I am in the early stages of iM training. Thanks for all the replies.
Originally posted by ziggie204

I understand you are trying to be helpful and appreciate your response. However, running 5-6 times a week isn't even remotely possible for me or most people I know. I have to ride, swim, mother 5 children, homeschool, coach 2 volleyball teams and work outside the home 20+ hours a week. This is a hobby, not my life and I think that is likely true for most folks here.
I hear what you are saying, but honestly, if you want to improve your running, you do need to run more. It's the standard answer to these types of posts because, well, it IS the answer to getting faster. Yes, we all know it's difficult to run 5 - 6 times a week when juggling swim and bike sessions. Most of us are juggling families, work, and other responsibilities. But perhaps you could do a focused block of just running where you ditch the other two sports? A few months of just running and you could see some huge results based on the times you're posting now. And no, you're not doing yourself any harm by running faster so long as you feel you're recovering well enough. The harder you run, the better you'll get. But honestly, at your volume, you'll be able to reap a lot of rewards simply by increasing your volume, no need to get fancy with workouts/speed work, stuff like that. Just get out and run as much as you can. Another tip/suggestion. . . .my family commitments at times make it very difficult for me to get away from the home, I can't just leave the kids alone. A treadmill is worth it's weight in gold. It's a lot easier to find the time to jump on that treadmill for a few minutes than it is to put some stuff on and get outside.

In that case, the answer is "maybe, maybe not."

It's not about whether or not you're doing harm.  The answers to questions like that are not black and white.  It's about risk management while preparing you for your races as well as possible given the available training time.  Sure, adding more intensity to your training is one way to get more out of fewer hours per week training, but there's no such thing as a free lunch.  The price (especially for someone running as few hours per week as you are) is increased injury risk.  Note that I'm not saying you're going to get injured.  I'm saying it's more likely.  That's why I gave the answer I did in my first post.  Based on what you've shared, what's in your logs, and some assumptions, if I were coaching you, I wouldn't agree to much increased intensity when volume is so low.  Instead, we'd find a way to get more runs per week in your schedule.  I wouldn't be willing to subject my client to what, in my experience, is an unacceptable level of risk.

BTW, I understand completely what you're saying about having a busy schedule.  ALL of my clients are in the same boat as you are.  There's almost always a way to get it done.  Often part of the solution is usually doing things like 15-20 minute treadmill runs at home, or 10-15 minute transition runs after biking.  It may not sound like much, but 2 of those 15 minute runs per week add up to an additional 25 hours of running per year.  It's the little things that add up to help you be more prepared for race day so you can enjoy it more.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run pace/HR question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HR vs Pace and Hills: Questions

Started by rsmoylan
Views: 687 Posts: 4

2011-04-13 6:46 PM LostSheep

Running - Training Pace vs. Race Pace

Started by DuncanQH
Views: 4633 Posts: 18

2010-11-15 9:17 AM Marvarnett

Question on Race Pace vs Training Pace for Run

Started by m2tx
Views: 2010 Posts: 12

2010-11-15 12:37 PM m2tx

Running HR zones and pace zones don't jive Pages: 1 2

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 3996 Posts: 38

2010-03-10 4:57 PM Experior

My Running Pace at 80%HR Max is...

Started by fraggle
Views: 1635 Posts: 17

2005-02-07 7:34 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : May 21, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition, hydration and pacing for the swim, bike and run of an olympic distance triathlon.
date : November 27, 2005
Focus on doing the drills and improving each week. Eventually you will go out for a run, look down, and see that your pace has improved, your heart rate is lower, and your cadence is over 90 rpm.

date : March 20, 2005
Now is your chance! If you want to prove that you should be training at a faster pace you can prove it by racing faster.
date : January 10, 2005
The misconception of LSD is that it’s easy. What I have learned over the years is that LSD or "running slow" is relative to each person.

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"On a six-mile tempo run is the warm up and cool down miles"