General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hyperventilation after T2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-24 3:48 PM

Subject: Hyperventilation after T2
Hi all,

So I've done two Sprint Tris now, 1:33 for my first in Sept, 1:35 for my second last weekend.

A year ago, I'd literally never done anything active since school (I'm 37), I started the couch to 5k and stopped smoking, both last June.

My fitness has come on leaps and bounds over the winter - I can run 15K now for instance, where in my September triathlon I couldn't even run the 5K and walked half of it. Last week not only could I run the 5K after the other two disciplines, but I almost got an all time personal best for the distance, just over 26 minutes. I'm also in decent lean shape, 6 foot 3 and just over 12 stone.

However, something has happened both times which I've found quite scary, both times right after T2, I've been severely, well I assume it's hyperventilating, it's never happened before - but breathing very hard, gasping basically, and my heart has felt like it was beating like crazy.

Last weekend I didn't let it slow me down, and 7-10 minutes into the run I felt absolutely fine. I felt great by the time I finished, could quite happily have continued.

I know hyperventilation is common in the swim, but I have not been able to find anyone mentioning this. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong or how I can overcome this?

I don't know if this is relevant or not but I did have a sizeable few gulps of my drink (I use High 5 Energy Source) in T2 both times. I don't like running with a bottle and I'm not a confident cyclist yet, to the point that I can't reach down and get the drink while I'm riding (lame I know) - so the opportunity to fill up on my liquids and sugars has been T2.

2015-05-24 7:45 PM
in reply to: boosebaster

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Hyperventilation after T2

I can't give you medical advice, so the first thing you should do is get a doctor to give you a physical and make sure you're safe to race.

The only thing I'll suggest is to slow down and be methodical in transition.  You might even save some time because you're not rushing and missing something.

Were you riding hard at the end of the bike course?  When you dismounted, did you run hard with the bike to rack it?  Was any of that uphill?  Anything out of the ordinary?  Any of those things could've spiked your effort level, plus you're just anxious to be off the bike.

Try to just maintain your bike pace until the end, but don't push extra hard in the last section.

2015-05-25 7:37 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I second the advice that you should get checked out by a doctor to see if there is a medical reason for your symptoms, rather than something about your pacing, hydration, or nutrition.

If you check out okay, with the doctor, then I would start to look at a couple of things regarding your race execution:

1. Try easing off the pace a bit in the final stages of the bike (maybe the last 400m or so in an Olympic distance, 200m in a sprint) and not dashing through transition. Unless you're really in it to win it and your AG rivals (like mine a few years ago) are doing mean tactical things in the final km of the bike to try to block you into transition, then it's better just to stay calm and set yourself up for a good run.

2. Many people start the run too fast, You feel "slow" but actually due to having legs in motion on the bike and heart rate elevated are often moving faster than you think. Consciously try to keep a relaxed pace for the first km or so as your get your "run legs". Your first km should be at, or a little slower than, your planned overall pace for the run leg. It shouldn't be way faster.

3. Learn to drink on the bike. If you have a trainer, practice on that first, then practice in training. Your discomfort might be due to dehydration, coupled with what you're drinking (see below). You can learn to drink on the bike. I'm possibly the world's klutziest person, and I've managed to teach myself to drink from either mount on the frame of two different road bikes, an aerobottle on a tri bike or road bike, and even grab and replace bottles from a rear mount on a tri bike. It's doable. Practice, practice, practice. Doesn't always make perfect, but at least semi-acceptable!

4. Not sure what's in your drink, but if it has large amounts of sugar/caffeine, that might be hitting you particularly hard when you're hot and dehydrated. (I'm visualizing myself, dehydrated and overheated in a tropical race, taking a huge swig of Red Bull in T2. Results would NOT be pretty!) For a sprint or Oly, you mainly just need fluids and electrolytes. Try a drink with less/no sugar or caffeine like Nuun.
2015-05-25 3:20 PM
in reply to: boosebaster

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
hydrating for the run is too late. if you're going to hydrate in T2, just accept your going to have to slow down a little. By taking off and running fast, your body is probably not even absorbing what your'e drinking.

Experiment with using water only (or water & electrolytes only). You don't need calories for a race that short. if you're training longer than 60-90 minutes (you mentioned 15k running) then yes, but not for a sprint.

You could be experiencing a medical issue that should be identified or ruled out as soon as possible with a racing heart under certain situations. Stress & Dehdration will certainly make that more likely so see a doctor before your next race and preferably before your next training session begins. Just take a week off to get in to your doc.
2015-05-25 3:40 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

could be exercise induced asthma...but the fact that it goes away doesn't really fit the symptoms.

2015-05-27 3:58 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

Thanks all, some things to think about there. I did go and get checked out before I started any training, got hooked up to a heart monitor and stuff, there wasn't anything of concern. Probably wouldn't hurt to go again though.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hyperventilation after T2 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

T2 Lacing and other T2 Question

Started by datlas
Views: 1443 Posts: 18

2012-02-28 3:21 PM WCTri

scary hyperventilation episode

Started by Katja
Views: 949 Posts: 5

2011-09-11 5:14 PM Katja

Hyperventilation

Started by billpowell123
Views: 3988 Posts: 12

2010-06-24 12:20 PM NRG42

Possibly the funniest T2 ever.....

Started by rfergus5
Views: 1035 Posts: 15

2005-08-01 9:07 AM cobannero

T2 Etiquette

Started by lincsguyus
Views: 808 Posts: 7

2005-05-23 12:42 PM dgunthert
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 6, 2009
author : ChiRunning
comments : 0
In this second part, Danny Dreyer, Founder and Head Coach of Chi Running, will discuss several ways to correct your posture for better running.

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
A brief history on aero bar evolution with a review on the bars that I own and love.

date : September 3, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on proper tapering for a triathlon, aqua-jogging, shin splints, dismounting in T2, ITBS, and training burnout for a marathon.
date : July 30, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 5
Are you doing everything you can to shave a few seconds off of your bike-to-run transition?

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
For us beginners, a brick is usually a bike/run combo. This simulates the bike to run transition - many think is the toughest part of the race.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
comments : 1
How to properly and effectively lay out your triathlon transition area.