General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Barefoot runner and new cyclist from central Ohio Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-25 6:18 AM

User image

Subject: Barefoot runner and new cyclist from central Ohio
Just wanted to post a little introductory. My background is mainly running, which after getting out of shape and gaining a lot of weight in my 20's I got back into things in my 30's and got serious when I went barefoot towards the end of 2011. A couple years into it I finally surpassed all my records in both distance and speed - all except for 5k time I set back in high school which I'm not sure if I'll ever achieve again. I've done lots of races from 5k's up to a couple marathons so far.

I loved biking as a kid but never had a road bike, just a big knobby tired MTB. When I started thinking about getting a road bike, the fit and specifications just perplexed me. They seem more complicated then a car! Never wanted to spend the money the LBS was asking for a new bike (even the relatively entry level ones) but didn't know enough about them to know what to look for used. After quite a while of soliciting advice and doing research I finally picked up a road bike and started biking last year, a 100% original '88 Schwinn LeTour for $80. I fell in love with the bike actually! This year I thought more about getting into racing and started looking for another road bike, one I could set aside for racing. I ended up getting two more '88 Schwinns by coincidence, a Tempo that will be project bike (a little rough) and a near perfect condition Prologue.

I'm still relatively new to road biking and have lots of questions so that's why I am here. I can't really swim so my main interest at this point is duathlon, but I LOVE to paddle and might try one of the paddle/bike/run tris someday as well.

2015-05-27 7:44 AM
in reply to: T-Stew

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Barefoot runner and new cyclist from central Ohio

Originally posted by T-Stew Just wanted to post a little introductory. My background is mainly running, which after getting out of shape and gaining a lot of weight in my 20's I got back into things in my 30's and got serious when I went barefoot towards the end of 2011. A couple years into it I finally surpassed all my records in both distance and speed - all except for 5k time I set back in high school which I'm not sure if I'll ever achieve again. I've done lots of races from 5k's up to a couple marathons so far. I loved biking as a kid but never had a road bike, just a big knobby tired MTB. When I started thinking about getting a road bike, the fit and specifications just perplexed me. They seem more complicated then a car! Never wanted to spend the money the LBS was asking for a new bike (even the relatively entry level ones) but didn't know enough about them to know what to look for used. After quite a while of soliciting advice and doing research I finally picked up a road bike and started biking last year, a 100% original '88 Schwinn LeTour for $80. I fell in love with the bike actually! This year I thought more about getting into racing and started looking for another road bike, one I could set aside for racing. I ended up getting two more '88 Schwinns by coincidence, a Tempo that will be project bike (a little rough) and a near perfect condition Prologue. I'm still relatively new to road biking and have lots of questions so that's why I am here. I can't really swim so my main interest at this point is duathlon, but I LOVE to paddle and might try one of the paddle/bike/run tris someday as well.

Old steel bikes are the bomb. Smoothest rides ever!

Welcome to BT and multisport!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Barefoot runner and new cyclist from central Ohio Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello from central Ohio

Started by ACCLARK
Views: 929 Posts: 2

2014-06-07 8:46 PM ButterflyFairy

Intro: Central Florida Runner to Triathlete

Started by Running_FF
Views: 573 Posts: 5

2013-04-20 9:29 PM Running_FF

Swimmer...cyclist...runner...triathlete?

Started by karch
Views: 734 Posts: 2

2010-08-25 11:12 AM Tynan19

Disabled newbie in Central Ohio

Started by [email protected]
Views: 1874 Posts: 3

2009-09-03 9:32 AM tbronaugh

New member from Central Ohio

Started by kaiserman19
Views: 701 Posts: 4

2008-10-14 9:10 PM keyone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 24, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 6
I am a new runner and my heart rate spikes with a very small increase in effort. So, when I run 2 or 3 miles (non-stop), I jump up to Zone 3, 4, and 5 almost immediately. What can I do?

date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : December 11, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
If you have ever felt confused by the plethora of commercial sports fuels, you are not alone. Runners, cyclists, and other athletes inevitably ask me, "What’s the best energy bar? gel? sports drink?"