General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Velodrome!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-25 9:05 AM

Subject: Velodrome!!!
Hey all was just starting a new thread for all the trackies out there!!! Some topics to talk about!!

1.) favorite track race!

2.) favorite velodrome!

3.) tips and tricks to track cycling!

4.) best memories of track cycling!

5.) crashes!

6.) anything and everything else about track cycling!

Here are a couple of my favorites.
1.) my favorite race is the Madison ( two man team racing). It's hectic fast and barrel controlled chaos, it's fantastic!

2.) I have two favorite velodromes. First is the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games Velodrome. To me not only was it fast but it was also beautiful and in a perfect setting with stone mountain being its back drop. 2.) the international velodrome at bloomer park (ivbp). It's steep, 200m and fast.

3.) learning to ride a track fast is simple. Learning to ride it slow is an art form. Take time to figure out how to do this, it helps in match sprints, positioning and the most in a Madison race. Oooohhhhh and tilt your head toward the track makes sighting easier in my opinion!!

4.) my favorite memories of track cycling are the 6 or so 6 days that I have competed in such a classic race.

5.) going over a Madison exchange on a sprint lap, rider was thrown up and into my front wheel clipped me went down hard got ran over.

Well there's my two cents let's hear yours!!!

2015-05-25 5:20 PM
in reply to: Cmhughes1985

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Velodrome!!!

My favourite race is Elimination. I like the tactics and the tight maneuvers. Last year, I raced on the Izu velodrome in Japan. It was so smooth and beautiful and it was pretty cool, just dedicating everything to racing for a couple of weeks in Japan.

My local velodrome is the Burnaby Velodrome. It's a 200m wooden track with 47 degree branking, so you can't go too slowly on it. It's indoors, so I ride it a lot in the winter evenings. I also have 2 other velodromes really close to me (Marymoor (Seattle) and Victoria) and 1 other velodrome fairly close in Portland.

2015-05-25 9:09 PM
in reply to: #5117880

200m are the most fun to race!! The ivbp is 47 degrees as well I believe so don't go to slow, although with the right technique you can do a lap going 10-12 mph, gotta lean that bike though!! I am not a huge fan of miss n outs (elimination, it's what we call that here). But it is fun to watch!!!!
2015-05-26 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

1.) favorite track race!

I've always enjoyed the miss-n-out, mainly because I've never had a good sprint, and everyone is looking back. Taking a flyer at the opening bell has netted me many a top-3.

2.) favorite velodrome!

I've only ever raced on Marymoor in Redmond, WA, so that one is, by default, my favorite.

3.) tips and tricks to track cycling!

Do it, play with it, try different things, and have fun!

4.) best memories of track cycling!

I had helped a team-mate nab the state crit title a week earlier, and he was trying his hand at track racing. Monster-strong rider. As a payback, he helped me clinch the season title with awesome lead-outs -- probably the only sprints I've ever taken on the track.

5.) crashes!

I've been lucky to never have crashed on the track (and only rarely on the road). Doesn't mean there haven't been close calls. But I let those memories go.

6.) anything and everything else about track cycling!

There's an abandoned building near me that I've thought would be great for a 250m indoor track. Racing year-round! But it's a huge note to have over my head...

2015-05-26 5:57 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Crashes. I crashed in a madison a year or so ago. The crash wasn't that bad, but I got a huge sliver that went deep into my leg. After my SO tried to get it out for about 3 days, I went to a walk in clinic and the doctor there sent me to the hospital. So I actually went to the hospital for a sliver. Got my first stitch too.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Velodrome!!! Rss Feed