General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race postponed two weeks- what do you do with training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-27 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Race postponed two weeks- what do you do with training?
I'm not as trained as I'd like, but I did taper the run already since I was run training and now I have 2.5 weeks left instead of three days

I'm going to try and do a bunch of OWS since there have been no opportunities. Hopefully trails will dry out to mountain bike. Do I ramp my run back up for a week then mello back again a week ahead of the race?

2015-05-27 2:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Race postponed two weeks- what do you do with training?

Ouch...I had two races get postponed.  They were both out of town and I was already in town for both of them when I got the email blast from the RD with the bad news.  There is no perfect way to adjust for that type of change in plans.  That late in the game the metal adjustment is as big a deal as the physical adjustment.  You have been building up to a goal date for months and months and then the target moves and doesn't really giving you enough time to adjust to the change.

If you have tapered down to just a few hours for the last week, then your body has the rest it needs.  The body can probably hold onto 95% of its fitness for another 2-1/2 weeks on the reduced volume, but to be mentally ready you really need to have a good work out 10-14 days before your race to keep all of you training sharp.  If I were adjusting for this race I would bump my volume back up about 30% for the next week and try to get in another good run (for the mental prep not physical prep so don't over do it) and another good bike ride if possible then go back the taper for the last 10 day before the new race date.    

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-05-27 2:08 PM
2015-05-27 3:53 PM
in reply to: #5118435

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Race postponed two weeks- what do you do with training?
I'm lucky that I'm in town. I'm a little glad since I was freaking out about 54 degree water- so hopefully it will have time to warm up and I can practice OWS some before ;-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race postponed two weeks- what do you do with training? Rss Feed